Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2008, 08:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
The only thing I don't like about your order is your monitor.

A 19" widescreen is not a ideal setup as you'll have less desktop space vertically than a 19" non-widescreen.

To fix this you need to go to a 20" or a 22" to gain that space back.

A 19" WS feels like you are always cramped.
It wouldn't really bother me much though so it's alright. Actually i'd prefer a widescreen against a non WS. So everything else is A-OK?
Old June 28, 2008, 08:20 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, you're good to go. Have fun and enjoy your build.
Old June 28, 2008, 08:30 PM
Rookie

Oh great!...I hope there will be no problems with my order seeing as how this is one of my first major orders online. Thanks a ton everyone for the help!
Old June 28, 2008, 08:44 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyBlossom View Post
Hmm..I'm assuming that my system wouldn't require too much from the PSU and the one i've chosen should do the job (atleast thats what many people have told me :p). I think i'll just save a few bucks and keep the corsair. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Well all I'm considering is upgrading in the future, yes the Corsair will probably do for now and run a bit quieter but what happens in a year's time when 4850 (or any Video Card you choose) are like $80 and you start thinking SLI/Crossfire you may have wished you spent that extra $10 for the PSU that will last you years, you choose but just think about it.
Old June 28, 2008, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldeagle View Post
Well all I'm considering is upgrading in the future, yes the Corsair will probably do for now and run a bit quieter but what happens in a year's time when 4850 (or any Video Card you choose) are like $80 and you start thinking SLI/Crossfire you may have wished you spent that extra $10 for the PSU that will last you years, you choose but just think about it.
That 550 will power any system for QUITE some time.

From the sounds of it this person won't bother with SLI/Crossfire and remain happy with a single card setup and for that they could have actually probably gone with the corsair 450.. but I'm one to believe to have a bit more than you need for any upgrades or addons.
Old June 28, 2008, 09:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like a great build to me. Should last you for a while. Just make sure you use Price Canada and price match everything.

Good luck and have fun
Old June 29, 2008, 12:55 PM
Rookie

Ahhh just one more question, this will be the last one for sure..i promise. Should i get a 32bit Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium or a 64bit?..
Old June 29, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyBlossom View Post
Ahhh just one more question, this will be the last one for sure..i promise. Should i get a 32bit Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium or a 62bit?..
Neither.

My personal preference is Windows XP 32bit.

I've yet to find anything in Vista thats worth the upgrade at all. XP will be faster and easier to use.
Old June 29, 2008, 01:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Neither.

My personal preference is Windows XP 32bit.

I've yet to find anything in Vista thats worth the upgrade at all. XP will be faster and easier to use.

Yeah...but i've heard that XP will be outdated soon and ill have to purchase a new OS...Or is that all just nonsense? Also, don't 32bit's only use 3gb, wouldnt the 4gb i'm going to purchase not be necessary (assuming 2gb is sufficient)?
Old June 29, 2008, 01:18 PM
Top Prospect

Security updates will be available until 2014, but by april 2009 the bug fixes will be available only for those who pay for the Extended Hotfix Support program .

Edit : yes with a 32bit OS, only a bit more than 3GB will be recognised by your system. If you plan to buy Vista (even the 32bit edition), I thinks it's better that you stay with the 4GB because the 1GB more it will detect will be usefull for this heavy OS. If you buy Xp, I think 2GB is enough.

AthlonX2 4600+ @ 3.0Ghz (tweaked by Ebdoradz) | Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 | 2x1GB Mushkin HP PC2-6400 @ 860Mhz | Silverstone Strider 500W PSU | Palit Radeon HD 3850 @ 720Mhz/1.76Ghz on 22" Acer X223w monitor | Thermaltake SopranoRS 101 | 1 x Seagate 250GB

Last edited by Leclerc; June 29, 2008 at 01:24 PM.