Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2018, 09:20 AM
Rookie

Post PC for gaming & 3D modelling

1. What YOUR PC will be used for.
As the topic suggests, my PC will be used for gaming and 3D modelling.

I get pretty competitive with Soul Calibur 6 so consistent (or close-to consistent) frame rates when playing this 3D fighting game @ 60 FPS max is a top priority. To see the specs for Soul Calibur 6 plz visit Nvidia's site.

For 3D modelling I use 3Ds Max to create 3D gaming assets. At the same time I open another program that displays multiple images for visual references. Also at the same time, I use a texture painting program, Substance Painter to paint textures onto an object.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
The budget will be $950; does not include taxes, shipping nor extended warranties.

This is only for PC components so no keyboards, mouse and monitor atm; that would be planned later on in the future and discussed in another thread.

I have a separate budget that covers cost for the game, Soul Calibur 6 and the arcade stick, Mixbox Arcade

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
I'll be buying my parts from Canada through online.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
Really new to building computers so I don't know all the known brands that veteran technophiles already knew; but I'm starting to love AMD with the Ryzen CPU line-ups due to the attractive pricing they're offering.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
The current parts I'm reusing are the following:
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
I haven't, so I can't answer that one.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
For now, I want to keep the system running @ stock/default speeds. I'm a newbie to tech and I want to be safe as well keeping the longevity of the system, but who knows in future I might.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
I plan to have everything built 1 week prior to the release date of Soul Calibur 6 which happens on October 19th of this year. Nothing is built as of now.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
I want the best resolution while maintaining that consistent 60fps that my GPU can handle.

I'm not that familiar about the other gaming techno terminology such as PhysX, CUDA, 3D, but if they benefit the game as in making it look prettier and running smoother then sure.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
None atm. However, I do want to know if there's other accessories I need to buy like I know I need to buy thermal paste to attach the CPU fan cooler onto the AMD Ryzen chip.

11. What parts do you have on your list?
Here are the listed parts. The list includes parts I've mentioned in question #5. Plz offer any feedback on what parts to replace with an explanation as to why. Also if there's any additional accessories I have to buy aside from thermal paste plz let me know.

Last edited by franman; June 16, 2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old June 16, 2018, 06:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

October?

I wouldn't be looking at parts yet. That's way too far away. So much can change both in prices and new releases.

That being said, if you're running at 1080 resolution your graphics card is probably fine since the minimum recommended is a 1050, and a 1080ti will do max all settings at 4K resolution.

Your parts list looks fine. The 650w PSU is probably a bit rich, and I'd change it for whatever is on sale when you go to buy. The EVGA G3s have been on sale a lot this past week, with the 750w version dropping as low as $110 and another 20 off in MIR.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; June 16, 2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old June 16, 2018, 06:23 AM
Rookie

^Very true. I'll be sure to stay tuned with Hardware Cannucks youtube site to look at the latest components and adjust the parts in PC part picker

Tags
3d modelling , gaming