Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2018, 09:57 AM
Rookie

Default What should I do with my new pc vs old

So my current setup is a PC with i7 2700k + gtx970 + 32gb of ram.
I just got an insane deal on a ryzen 2600x + 16gb drr4.

I want to know what you guys would do here. I upgrade for one reason so I can host and stream with plex and other services to my various tvs with chromecast and plex enabled apps.

My intention at first was to build a file server and have it stream plex little did I know the old parts on that thing couldn't handle the processing so my main rig was connected to file server and did the transcoding on the fly. This sucked if I wanted to game and my wife and kids wanted to watch movies/tv.

So now that I have the above two processors which one would you guys dedicate to doing the hardwork and which one would you dedicate to be the gaming pc? We aren't quite doing 4k streaming yet. But I am looking into a 4k projector, the only thing with that is it can be connected directly to one of the pc's. I have an old gtx 260 hanging around which I can hook up to one of the pcs. Or my brother will send me the 560ti I gave him a while ago as he upgraded. He also has a 760 that I could have is it worth it for the 760 does it really matter. My kids don't quite game yet as they are young.

Plus I imagine my 970 will be upgraded sooner than later.

Let me know your guys' thoughts and I will design my systems around that.
Old June 13, 2018, 10:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you're looking at building a dedicated HTPC the 2600k is plenty fine to be a plex file server. GPU is fairly irrelevant for this, heck I think even the iGPU would be enough unless the kids/wife plan on gaming on it as well.

I'd definitely use the 2600x computer as your gaming machine.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 13, 2018, 10:14 AM
Rookie

Thanks,

I will try to post pics when I am done. Been cable cleaning and cable managing. Been kind of a cluster.
Old June 13, 2018, 10:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sorry but how good of a deal did you get? on a ryzen 2600x + 16gb drr4.
Old June 13, 2018, 10:47 AM
Rookie

Did the ebay 20% off last week.
Old June 13, 2018, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

family member in need is what i do with them lol ya sorry was busy and only rushed through your ? when i answered it
that and there is not a really good answer to that question I would run the 2700 for the server and ryzen for the gaming pc

Last edited by gingerbee; June 13, 2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old June 13, 2018, 11:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingh View Post
Did the ebay 20% off last week.
nice I got a new SSD that time
Old June 13, 2018, 01:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
family member in need is what i do with them
No idea what you are talking about, but thanks.
Old June 13, 2018, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

What he/she meant is that old hardware goes to family members that needs a computer. The 2700K should be good enough as a media server and if Handbrake recognize QVS, then you can use it for transcoding media files as well. Also, if it's paired with an old Gigabyte board, you could build a Hackintosh if you have access to a Mac OS disk or a Mac laptop.
Old June 14, 2018, 02:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
What he/she meant is that old hardware goes to family members that needs a computer. The 2700K should be good enough as a media server and if Handbrake recognize QVS, then you can use it for transcoding media files as well. Also, if it's paired with an old Gigabyte board, you could build a Hackintosh if you have access to a Mac OS disk or a Mac laptop.
Funny you say this as I have an old aluminum apple mac pro case that had hackintosh in it. With some crazy modifications. But I have since moved on.