Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2018, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default AutoCAD Specific Build

Greetings everyone,
I haven’t built a computer in probably five plus years, but recently I had a friend reach out to me about a custom built computer for his office. The main thing is something that can run AutoCAD and other drafting software.

Now, they aren’t running 4K monitors or anything, but they are running two. They’re trying to use an old HP laptop ad well, and it’s laggy and slow as all hell.

They’re a fabrication shop. So they’re drafting truck bumpers, skid plates, brackets, and basic stuff like that.

What kind of setup would a company need for a good drafting computer?
Old June 12, 2018, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

AutoCAD doesn't really benefit from multiple cores (there are a few rare exceptions), so you want highest clock speed over cores. It does use nVidia CUDA cores, so you probably want to go with some form of Quadro card...a P600 or P1000, for instance.

So I would go for something with an i5-7600K (K are unlocked for overclocking, but they also come with a higher base clock and boost speed than the non-K), 16GB of RAM, an SDD, a HDD and then one of the GPU I mentioned previously.

I do know of an HP Z240 workstation with an i7-7700, 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro and P600 for just shy of $2K. it also comes with 3 years of next business day onsite waranty.
Old June 12, 2018, 10:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

For AutoCAD the modern computer is overkill, and CAD software in general, even with low-end GPU's. Unless you're getting in to some serious multi layer, massive dies or full assembly stuff and then you really just need a low end GPU with a butt-load of GPU-RAM.

SSD definitely doesnt hurt to quickly load saved CAD's in to software. Beyond that, I'd be suprised if a 2600k with any modern-era GPU with 8+gigs of ram isnt highly sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
AutoCAD doesn't really benefit from multiple cores (there are a few rare exceptions), so you want highest clock speed over cores. It does use nVidia CUDA cores, so you probably want to go with some form of Quadro card...a P600 or P1000, for instance.

So I would go for something with an i5-7600K (K are unlocked for overclocking, but they also come with a higher base clock and boost speed than the non-K), 16GB of RAM, an SDD, a HDD and then one of the GPU I mentioned previously.

I do know of an HP Z240 workstation with an i7-7700, 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro and P600 for just shy of $2K. it also comes with 3 years of next business day onsite waranty.
I'm with Friendly on this, I like an OTS/Warrantied item for a business.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 12, 2018, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I'm with Friendly on this, I like an OTS/Warrantied item for a business.
I can't find the one for $2K'ish with the P600, but since the GPU isn't as important as CPU, the HP p/n you want is: 2TF25UT#ABA
- Core i7-7700
- 16GB DDR4 RAM
- 256GB SSD (believe it's the Turbo Z PCIe one as well)
- Onboard Intel HD630 GPU

If you want to add a GPU, the HP p/n for the P400 is 1ME40AA and P600 is 1ME42AT.

I recommend adding a separate graphics card as the system RAM is allocated for the onboard, and you want that all free for your software.
Old June 12, 2018, 10:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Our detailers use i5 quad cores with onboard graphics for their Autocad with no issues. It's all 2D stuff though.

If they are doing any renders you need the discrete GPU.
Old June 12, 2018, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

These are kinda cool: https://www.frontierpc.com/computers...040669649.html

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.0
i7-5820K
3 x GTX 1070
4x4GB Corsair LPX 2666MHZ
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 240GB Patriot Blaze SSD RAID0 :)
HP OMEN 32 1440p 75hz

Benq W1070 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old June 12, 2018, 11:05 AM

My System Specs

You absolutely need a dedicated GPU or some sort if doing 3d modeling. Modeling w/o one is a horrible experience. I see between 30 and 50% GPU usage on a GTX1080 w/ Fusion 360 (pretty sure its the same modeling engine as A360). I see about 2GB of GPU VRAM usage on the relatively basic modeling I do. Any semi-modern quad core CPU should be fine. Disk performance absolutely doesn't matter either.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old June 12, 2018, 11:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Disk performance absolutely doesn't matter either.
To be honest I didnt even know there was an Autocad 360, and the last version I used was 2015, so maybe they've revamped it since my day...but are you doing assembly drawing? I've had horrible issues of load time when I was building lines or dies, but I was working on drawings with 4 figure layers some times. That being said, once its loaded you're right disk access doesnt matter.

Definitely agree with the discreet GPU for 3D, hope I wasnt leading anyone astray on that one!
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 12, 2018, 11:40 AM

My System Specs

Seems A360 doesn't exist no more either lol. AutoDesk really needs to stop cancelling and starting new products all the time. AutoCAD 360 was cloud-based, so I don't think it saw alot of disk read/writes. If he/she is actually using the full version of AutoCAD I'm not sure what it uses for disk usage.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old June 12, 2018, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

AM, can you clarify what version of AutoCAD you're using? if it's old, it may change the recommendation.

and Vortex, that's a sweet unit and worth the price delta over the HP tower. note, it also has the 3 year NBD onsite warranty. :)