Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2017, 01:29 PM
Rookie

Default Build Now Or Wait

I am in the market for building a new PC within the next few months, as my current build is showing its age. I have put together an initial build list which I will include below. My end goal for this build is to tackle both high res content creation/editing and high end gaming. I will be purchasing a new monitor around the same time for this build. My real hesitation lies with the current capabilities of hardware to push higher res content at higher refresh rates with monitors such as the Asus PG27UQ and the PG35VQ.

I know it's always the case with waiting for the hardware that is in the works, but with all the talk about PCI 4.0, DDR5, and the inevitable next gen GPU's I'm a little overwhelmed with all the options. Future "proof" is not realistic but I'm hoping to get at least 4 to 5 years of relevance out of my next build. All this to ask will the hardware listed below push high res content without an issue or should I just hold off for the next generation? I'm trying to stay around $5-6k (not including monitor), as long as I can achieve solid results with currently available hardware.

Initial Build List:

Monitor - Asus PG27UQ or the PG35VQ (torn between 4k and the 1440p ultrawide)
CPU - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
CPU Cooler - Either Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 or the NZXT Kraken 62 (still debating on air/AIO cooling)
Mobo - Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
Ram - 64GB GSkill TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 3200
GPU - (2 SLI) Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2
HD - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe
Case - Fractal Design Meshify C
Old September 12, 2017, 02:36 PM
MVP

Please read and look at this template:

NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects Please Tell

Also it would be helpful to know what your current specifications are as it would be a better gauge of what you are upgrading to (and coming from).
Old September 12, 2017, 02:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

As always you can wait forever as new tech is always on the horizon, but I think I would personally wait for coffee lake just to see what happens. Perhaps there will be a nice price cut or other adjustment, and the memory and nand shortage might ease up and prices come down.

That's just my $0.02 tho ;) You have a pretty good build going on there.
Old September 12, 2017, 03:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Please read and look at this template:

NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects Please Tell

Also it would be helpful to know what your current specifications are as it would be a better gauge of what you are upgrading to (and coming from).
My apologies. I read that before posting and thought I had covered all of those points. I am not using any of my current hardware which is why I did not include any of that information.
Old September 12, 2017, 03:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famfan View Post
My apologies. I read that before posting and thought I had covered all of those points. I am not using any of my current hardware which is why I did not include any of that information.
Would you mind perhaps providing your current system specifications or what the specs are for the current build?
Old September 13, 2017, 04:14 AM
Trial Member

Default Build Now Or Wait

Hi,

Suggest you check Noctua site compatible motherboards. ROG ZE PCIEX16_1 is part covered by cooler you have listed. I want to use the same cooler and will use the Asus x399-E (very similar features and specifications).

The suitability of the monitor will depend on you to a fair degree . I like the Dell U2718Q. I am likely to purchase a GTX1050 Ti to run 4K on everything except games (which I am less concerned about) but will be fine for everything else.

The RAM selected will not quite clear the cooler I think (~44mm cf 41mm). You will probably get away with positioning the fan accordingly.

The PSU you have nominated is a large one. But I guess the SLI 1080Ti and 1950X will demand reliable power. I plan to use a Seasonic Prime 650W (93% efficient) with the 1050Ti and 1900X.

Reliance on PCIE SSD looks good, fast option for the slowest part of the system.

Am unsure of the noise the selected cooler or other case fans you plan on using will generate. The Strix gpus will shut off at low draw. Am sure you are mindful that the case is likely to pose no barrier to sound entering your immediate space.

The advice given above about waiting for a little while yet before purchasing seems good to me. The market has had more to be excited about in the last 6 months, than it has had for 7 or 8 years due to the absence of competition. I believe that we have a few more things to look forward to yet including: Coffeelake and Cannonlake impact on competition and pricing; expected decline in SSD prices; potential release of PCIE 4.0 (finalised 2017. Appearing in 2018 maybe, maybe not); and Volta (~maybe 30%-40% step up on Pascal).

Your plan to hold the system for 5 years seems reasonable.

I have a Nehalem i7 965 and will be upgrading the system it has lived in for 9 years. The absence of attractive performance increments has kept me out of the market for quite a while. It might seem ridiculous but I will be happy with a ~20% speed bump and an enormous boost in storage speeds and plan to hold this system for 15 years.

Last edited by strickland1000; September 13, 2017 at 04:24 AM.
Old September 13, 2017, 06:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

My 2 cents. If it is a high end gaming rig you will need the Intel CPU. If it is productivity rig then GPU choice is excessive. PSU seems excessive regardless.
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + HGST 5400RPM 2TB
Evga GTX 1080 FTW 8GB + BenQ BL3201PH 4K 32"
Old September 13, 2017, 10:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

ComputerBase has a quick review of the three Noctua sTR4 heatsinks: https://translate.google.nl/translat...t/&prev=search
Based on that review, and ROG Zenith may not be the best SLi board with a Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3, while the other two would be fine, except for the performance.
source:
AMD Ryzen Threadripper Owners Club - 1950X | 1920X | 1900X - Page 84
https://hardforum.com/threads/tr4-no...rbase.1943073/