Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2017, 03:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Should I wait for Coffee Lake?

I'm not ready to build any time soon...but, at some point, I'd like to replace my old system. It's 7 years old?

I'm looking at SSDs and don't have the option of M.2 yet and can't decide between MX300 and Samsung EVO (although, the arguments against it because of the horrible RMA process is making me lean towards the MX300).

But, now I am reading about ADATA SU900 series coming out.... it would be more expensive but still...

I was recently looking at the options for a budget build and just don't see it with Ryzen.

The Intel G4600 looks like it would offer that and it gives an option for an upgraded/better cpu in the future....

But, then I looked at Coffee Lake and an Intel i5 8400 looks like the ticket. I don't know how much $$ it'll be in Canada, though.

Thoughts? Build soon (6 mths) or wait for Coffee Lake. I am looking to invest in a new build in 6 mths or so .... hopefully not longer. :)
Old July 20, 2017, 03:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the club of fence sitters :) I am waiting. Indications are that there are CPUs out there in manufacturers hands and we should see some harder information popping up on our favorites sites soon. I have a feeling there is a pretty firm NDA in place with the little drips and drabs of leaks coming out, but since my current machine is working fine I can wait and see what the next iteration looks like. If nothing else I would hope that it pushes down the prices of the Z270 and i7 7700k combos. There is something about raw clock speeds that appeals to me, and a 4.2 GHz stock clock i7 7700k sounds better than a (possibly) stock clocked 3.7 GHz i7 8700k, cores and threads be damned.
Wife's Rig - MSI GL72M 7RDX
Old July 20, 2017, 04:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm still waiting for Doge Lake CPU's
Old July 20, 2017, 08:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar View Post
I'm not ready to build any time soon...but, at some point, I'd like to replace my old system. It's 7 years old?

I'm looking at SSDs and don't have the option of M.2 yet and can't decide between MX300 and Samsung EVO (although, the arguments against it because of the horrible RMA process is making me lean towards the MX300).

But, now I am reading about ADATA SU900 series coming out.... it would be more expensive but still...

I was recently looking at the options for a budget build and just don't see it with Ryzen.

The Intel G4600 looks like it would offer that and it gives an option for an upgraded/better cpu in the future....

But, then I looked at Coffee Lake and an Intel i5 8400 looks like the ticket. I don't know how much $$ it'll be in Canada, though.

Thoughts? Build soon (6 mths) or wait for Coffee Lake. I am looking to invest in a new build in 6 mths or so .... hopefully not longer. :)
Is your computer the one in your dropdown? If so, you are going to see a massive gain even going to the G4600. There is always something new around the corner to debate waiting for. For Dwayne I recommended waiting, since his system is still perfectly fine and able to keep going strong for a while yet. If your system is still a Q6600, then the sooner you upgrade, the sooner you are enjoying it.

What is your budget? It will be cheaper in the long run to go to an i5/i7 now, but the other option is to grab the G4600 and then try for a used i5/i7 after some people who always have to upgrade jump to coffee lake. Really it's your call.

EDIT: I just saw that you aren't building for 6 months anyway. If that is the case, then wait for coffee lake.
Old July 20, 2017, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think also would depend on OS Not sure what Linux supports or will make full use of in the hardware department. Don't get me wrong I used to love Linux but I do allot of Gaming so Linux games I really don't care for so I went with windows .
Old July 22, 2017, 04:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Is your computer the one in your dropdown? If so, you are going to see a massive gain even going to the G4600. There is always something new around the corner to debate waiting for. For Dwayne I recommended waiting, since his system is still perfectly fine and able to keep going strong for a while yet. If your system is still a Q6600, then the sooner you upgrade, the sooner you are enjoying it.

What is your budget? It will be cheaper in the long run to go to an i5/i7 now, but the other option is to grab the G4600 and then try for a used i5/i7 after some people who always have to upgrade jump to coffee lake. Really it's your call.

EDIT: I just saw that you aren't building for 6 months anyway. If that is the case, then wait for coffee lake.
Yep, it's still that computer. :)

The reasons for waiting for Coffee Lake is to see how much it's priced at and whether the previous gen. processors will drop in price. I'm perfectly willing to buy used. I kinda would like to plan a system of higher cores and threads but I thought I might have to get a cheaper cpu just because the good ones are $200+ and I still need to invest in the memory, mobo, maybe the PSU (probably shouldn't re-use my PSU as it's pretty old...????) and this requires a hefty budget as I can't re-use much else - maybe my GTX 750 video card? A better gpu will have to wait. I'd consider Ryzen but currently, they don't really offer a 'budget' cpu. I don't think $200+ are 'budget' but that's me. :) I think the i5-8400 looks ideal but I don't know what it will be priced at.

I guess I don't really need the extra cores or threads for what I do but it would be nice. I think I do tasks that would take advantage of extra cores/threads (multitasking) but could make do with the Kaby Lake processors. The Ryzen ones are good but there's not a budget cpu per se, imho. However, if things change and I can expand my budget, then it would be an option. I am just anticipating needing to spend on other things so I am factoring that into consideration. I want at least 16GB of RAM (min.) and who knows what price it'll be at when I am able to buy. I might want to use virtual machines like Virtual Box (or VMWare) so should I consider 32? That would be expensive.

Kaby Lake (and Ryzen) might be competitively priced by Coffee Lake and ThreadRipper or there might be an option for buying used? I am just predicting 6 months .... I'll go crazy if it can't be then or sooner. :)

Every gen has a good cpu (for e.g. i5 or i7 for Intel) so I don't see a problem buying that one when people have moved on to the subsequent gen. that is in demand or just came out. Also, these processors might be used and a good deal. I know there's an extra expense (already bought budget cpu, for e.g.) but I can make some of it back selling on ebay, probably?
Old July 22, 2017, 04:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I think also would depend on OS Not sure what Linux supports or will make full use of in the hardware department. Don't get me wrong I used to love Linux but I do allot of Gaming so Linux games I really don't care for so I went with windows .
I always use Windows and Linux.... maybe 80% of the time on Linux but I plan on using Ubuntu and Windows 10.
Old July 22, 2017, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The Gtx 750 is pretty much the only thing I would carry forward into a new build.
Old August 22, 2017, 06:45 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Does it sound any better? Some news out recently, right?

I might keep the GTX 750 just until I buy whatever it is I choose. :)

Since, I need all new stuff, OS (Win 10), SSD, RAM, CPU & Mobo - I will assume I won't have $$ for a video card right away.

I think my current LGA 775 hardware is not worth much so maybe sell the mobo/cpu on ebay as a combo?

Might get $100 or thereabouts to put towards a (better) cpu?

I thought the i5-8400 and i5-8600 looks interesting.... how do they look compared to a Ryzen R5-1400/1600?
Old August 22, 2017, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

But what do you need it for primarily? I can vouch for the G4620, an awesome cpu. Actually i was planning on selling the kit, cpu mobo and ram.
Rumored prices in CAD https://www.extremetech.com/computin...ls-coffee-lake

Last edited by MARSTG; August 22, 2017 at 11:37 AM.