Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2017, 08:18 AM
Rookie

Default Thinking Ryzen but need guidance for updating

Hi everyone,
It's time to update and with Ryzen 5 now out, I'm looking for advice. Although I'm open to Intel, I've always used AMD and am leaning toward a Ryzen set up. So, I do some gaming (mainly FPS) at 1080p and want to continue this, but don't need ultra-high settings....medium to high is fine. I also do MS Office work (just basic stuff) as well as some streaming and general internet surfing. I want to have some future-proofing (was still able to play the most recent Doom with some lag, on my current system) and be able to play future games that I think will require more threads. I'll need a new cpu, motherboard, RAM, and hard drive, with the possibility of needing Windows 10. Budget is $550-600 not including taxes and probably wouldn't include a new O/S. I'd like to keep Win 7 for as long as I can but know an update to play future games may be inevitable. If budget can't be met, then there would be some flexibility.

Current build is: - Coolermaster CM690 mid tower case - will keep this
- Corsair TX 750W PSU - will keep this
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2 GB - would like to keep this
- Windows 7 O/S - will probably go to Win 10 but would like to keep Win 7 if possible

- AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor - definitely need an upgrade
- WD Caviar Black 640 GB 7200 RPM - will want to upgrade but not really seeking SSD
- GSkill DDR 3-1333 RAM (4 GB) - will definitely want DDR 4 but not sure if I should get 8 or 16 GB
- MSI 790FX-G65 motherboard (DDR 3) - certainly need an upgrade to fit new CPU

BTW there will be NO OVERCLOCKING needed..just stock on all relevant components. This mentality may change but I'm normally a "plug and play" type.

I'm looking at the Ryzen 5 1400 but want to know if it's better to go 1500X or even 1600. I'd even be open to Intel but it seems price to performance wouldn't be feasible especially if my gaming needs don't require something that is "best for gaming". For the motherboard, I'm unsure as to going for the A (or is it B) 320 or 350. I'm kinda leaning toward a 350 since there is potential for overclockability if I decide to venture there and the price difference isn't huge. For RAM, I think 8 GB will suffice for now...I can always add more RAM if needed later.

Any advisement/direction would be much appreciated. I can wait until early summer to purchase, but wanting to get prepared. Doesn't seem Intel has responded too much in Canada price-wise to the Ryzen launch, although I guess that may change. Thank-you in advance for your responses.
Old April 20, 2017, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If your activity will be mainly gaming at 1080p even a Pentium G4560 will cut the mustard. Add a B250 mobo and 8 GB of DDR4 RAM and you are good. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/M8YJHN
Old April 20, 2017, 08:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Is a dual core really viable vis-a-vis future games?
Old April 20, 2017, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The G4560 is a great CPU for the price right now, but given you still have an x3 720, I assume you will keep this build for a while and think something faster is a better bet. For a strictly gaming build an i5 is a solid choice, but things are progressing with being more threaded, and the slight loss in peak FPS by going with AMD will be minimal (and still a great gain from the CPU you are coming from).

Either way I would:
1. keep the 640gb black as you storage drive
2. get an SSD! 240gb minimum for windows and main apps...bigger is better if it fits in your budget. MX300 are great bang for buck.
3. If you have the $ then, 16gb ram is very slowly showing advantages, but 8gb does suffice most of the time and is easily upgraded later if you need to keep cost down initially.

As for specific recommendations I think you are better off waiting to see pricing when you are ordering. You won't go wrong with intel or AMD, but pricing can easily make one a better recommendation. Since you're not overclocking I would be likely say 1500X, 1600, or i5 7500 within your price bracket.
Old April 24, 2017, 12:58 PM
Rookie

Default Thinking Ryzen but need guidance for updating

Thank-you all for your input.

I'm seeing that getting a Ryzen 1600 is within my budget and probably leaning toward a B350 motherboard, since I probably won't overclock at this point. For an extra $30 I think I'd rather at least have the overclock option rather than go for an A320. One other question is RAM-related. I'm looking at 2x4 GB (and can always buy more later), but should I go for the 2133 or 2400? Does it really matter given that I don't need gaming eye-candy, but just want a steady (non-stuttering) gaming performance?

Thanks again.
Old April 26, 2017, 03:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

B350 still lets you overclock. Can be done with the stock cooler too.
Keep in mind the number of RAM slots on the MB you buy. If it's just 2 slots then your 2 x 4 gb plan isn't going to work so hot.

I'd go at least 2400 with Ryzen. From what I've heard it makes a significant difference.
*EDIT update* With a 960 it sounds like memory speed wouldn't have as big of an impact as I'd thought. It's only when you get to the powerhouse gpu's that it's significant.

Last edited by GregH; April 27, 2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old April 27, 2017, 11:45 AM
Rookie

Thanks GregH...I'll make sure the MB has 4 RAM slots. I only bought my GPU last year and know it will have to be replaced in the future, but unfortunately can't afford another one with the other upgrades I need. I keep wavering between the Ryzen 1400 and 1600 and am just unsure if the extra $60 CDN for the 1600 will provide more "future proofness". Again, I don't need gaming eye-candy, but just want a smooth 1080p. My current set up, except for the GPU, has lasted 7 yrs. and all I do is surf, stream, do some basic MS Office, and gameplay...nothing heavy. Who knows the gaming demands 3-4 years down the line from developers, but wondered if the 1400 will be enough for what I need. If not, then I'll get a 1600, but figured $60 in my pocket (or for something else) isn't a bad thing.
Old April 27, 2017, 11:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'd buy the highest speed RAM you can afford, since it directly affects Ryzen CPU performance. Ryzen is NOT like Intel in that way. On Intel platforms, memory doesn't make anywhere NEAR the difference it does on Ryzen. Also, be aware that in spite of what reviewers will tell you, AM4 is a fairly immature platform at this point, so you most likely will have issues pushing RAM past 2933mhz, even if you buy a 3200 kit. The kinks are still being worked out on Ryzen, so if you go that route, be prepared to update your motherboard bios fairly frequently. It's good bang for your buck, but be prepared to get your hands dirty. FYI.