Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2008, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

dedicated sound card is 100x better than any onboard audio.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:35 AM
Rookie

Hey guys I was wondering. I am going to use the WD 250GB hard drives I bought in RAID 0. But I was wondering, I have an old hard drive from my old computer and am wanting to use it for back up. Is there anything stopping me from doing this or no.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:55 AM
Allstar

Nope, you shouldn't have any trouble. Aslong as you have the interface for the HDD then your good to go.

Last edited by Robscix; May 29, 2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old May 29, 2008, 12:08 PM
Rookie

Thought so, thanks. LOL I was shocked when I opened up this old computer to see that it had a SATA hard drive. It nothing special. Just a 160GB WD Caviar, but might as well use it till it goes.
Old May 29, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yea wouldn't hurt to stick with your old HD..more money for that next gen. GPU

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old May 29, 2008, 04:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would consider putting that extra drive in an external enclosure; maybe one of those E-SATA jobs. That way you have the option of using it to sneaker net files, hiding it or locking it up if you need to leave it when you go on holiday, and you can physically unplug it during lightening storms.
Old May 31, 2008, 09:28 AM
Rookie

Well guys, parts came in yesterday so I am now onto the building stage. Heatsink, CPU, RAM, Hard Drives, Optical drives, Fans, etc all went in without a problem. I do have a couple question though. Here they are:

I am hooking up my firewire port that is on the front off my case. The connectors running off from my case have the following connectors, TPA+, TPA-, TPB+, TPM-, GROUND, (2x) VP, and (2x) VG. But the connectors to my case are different, everything is good except the VP and VG connectors. The motherboard has them listed as +12v and Ground. I assume that VG means ground and VP means the +12v. But am wanting to ask you guys before I make a mistake. (Pictures will be at bottom of page to help to show you what I am talking about).

Next Question:

Now the question evolving my USB cables. The ones running from the front of my case on have a row of 4 pins while the motherboard has the connector where there is a row of 4 pins then a row of 3 next to it (Picture will be at bottom of page to help show what I am talking about). So my question is, how do I connect my usb ports to my motherboard.

Pictures:

Firewire

USB

USB
Old June 1, 2008, 05:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

1. Looks good to me.

2. 4 and 3? USB headers on a mainboard should have 5 and 4 pins. Are you sure you have the correct one?
Old June 2, 2008, 01:25 PM
Rookie

LOL ops yes I did mean 5 and 4. Thanks though