Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2016, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Exclamation Upgrade or new build?

I am having a hard time deciding what to do with my system, as presented in my sig. Upgrade a few parts or go for a new build? Using a core i3 530 for the moment and getting around with a gtx 460 but i would like to get playing Far Cry Primal and any NFS that might come out. I have purchased a Lynnfield i5 750 and one of the options is to replace the i3 and ovc the i5 750 with a decent heatsink like the CM212. Screen wise i am limited at [email protected] as this is the limit of my tv. My mobo can overclock but has only sata II. I have no SSD at the moment but i was thinking of getting a 240 Kingston HyperX Savage. Am i missing a lot with the lack of sata III, should i buy a Sata III add on card? I have a 4x pci e 2.0 available. Should i go ballistic and get a HyperX Predator? Gpu wise, i would have 100US $ credit from EVGA as my Folding bucks if i would want a new GPU. I am thinking one of the new GTX 950. If i would go for a new system it would be a Skylake i3 on a H170 mobo most probably, keeping the door open for a M.2 SSD.

Last edited by MARSTG; May 2, 2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old May 1, 2016, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My take is that since you already have the i5 and can OC it, your next biggest gaming bottleneck will be the GPU. If it was me I would get the best GPU in your budget and run it on your current platform. That said I wouldn't invest more in the platform (Sata add on). The sata2 connections will limit an SSD, but it's still a massive improvement...my laptop runs sata2 with an SSD its its great.
Old May 2, 2016, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm with Bond007 on this one. Don't think I would put a whole lot more money into that system. However I have had experience too with SSDs on SATA2 and it is a nice boost. Actually when I moved my SSDs to my new system with SATA3 I didn't see any noticeable difference in real world everyday performance. So investing in an SSD certainly wouldn't be a waste as it would easily move to a new system. If you could squeeze a bigger SSD into your budget that would be nice. It is amazing how big games are getting these days and a 240 can disappear pretty fast. And a GPU of course. Even at 1080 a 460 for modern stuff is getting pretty far behind the curve. Not sure about 950. You might want to try and get to the 960 (or go used of course and get more) or go with an AMD alternative.

I guess to answer your original question though, if it were me and I had the budget, I would upgrade the system. You certainly have had a good run on the old one; it doesn't owe you anything that this point and you would experience speed improvements in all aspects with a new system.
Old May 2, 2016, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Carizzo for desktop is awfully tempting as well!
Old May 2, 2016, 05:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Same as above, my motherboard is SATA 2.0 and adding an SSD made a huge difference! It's definitely worth it. As for the CPU, since you already have a 750 I would go with that and OC.

As for the GPU, if your budget is limited to $100 USD I would go used and try to find the best performance for the $$$ (personally that's why I stayed with AMD, used HD7xxx and R9 2xx are VERY affordable compared to similar used Nvidia GPUs). Waiting for the new architectures to come out could also be an option if you can wait, that will either lower the price on used older gen GPUs or sales of the current gen GPUs could be available. It really depends if you're willing to wait a few months or not (BTW I'm not sure exactly when the new GPUs are set to release, that could still be a while).
Old May 2, 2016, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmir View Post
Same as above, my motherboard is SATA 2.0 and adding an SSD made a huge difference! It's definitely worth it. As for the CPU, since you already have a 750 I would go with that and OC.

As for the GPU, if your budget is limited to $100 USD I would go used and try to find the best performance for the $$$ (personally that's why I stayed with AMD, used HD7xxx and R9 2xx are VERY affordable compared to similar used Nvidia GPUs). Waiting for the new architectures to come out could also be an option if you can wait, that will either lower the price on used older gen GPUs or sales of the current gen GPUs could be available. It really depends if you're willing to wait a few months or not (BTW I'm not sure exactly when the new GPUs are set to release, that could still be a while).
Not sure how legit the info is but I just posted this on the Rumors forum:
Rumor or News? GTX 1080/1070 paper launch 6 May, available June

NVIDIA's new cards could be available as early as June if this is legit.
Old May 2, 2016, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My budget is not limited to 100USD, i said i have 100 USD credit towards any EVGA product new or refurbished and i complete the rest and pay shipping.
Old May 2, 2016, 06:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
My budget is not limited to 100USD, i said i have 100 USD credit towards any EVGA product new or refurbished and i complete the rest and pay shipping.
ah ok! sorry for my misunderstanding!

Then yeah I would go with a 960 rather than a 950. The 950 is sure a nice budget option but I feel like the 960 or even a 380 would be better because of the 4GB of VRAM. I was looking at buying a new card before I found my 7870 and, for a new card, I was only looking at the 4GB ones.
Old May 2, 2016, 07:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the results from Passmark performance tests are to be believed, or at least taken with a grain of salt, a Lynnfield 760 even mildly overclocked at 3.2 GHz and paired with a GTX 470 does the same job as one on stock at 2.8GHz with a GTX 750Ti! In the DX11 test, which is rendered at 1680x1050 I believe, with FSAA at 8x, both cards surpass the 60Hz barrier with ease. I mention the GTX 470 as I have already found one at a local HWC member. The GTX 960 would not really benefit me much, considering my 60 FPS at 1080P. So I think CPU and GPU upgrades have been settled. What is left is SSD and maybe RAM? I have 4x2GB sticks of assorted RAM that work very well together, one pair is Mushkin with some XMP profiles and the other is a pair of those super low profile Kingstons that are like half an inch in height. My mobo supports only 16GBs so should I upgrade to 16GB or I am fine with just 8? Or just get a single 2x4GB kit for better overclocking potential? What about the SSD? Anything better than the HyperX Savage? Should I go ballistic with the HyperX Predator 240GB?

And a few SATA III SSDs performing on the SATA II onboard Intel controller. The highest performing result belongs to a Kingston HyperX 3K. On Newegg, when you visit the HyperX 3K product page says a new version of the item is available, and if you click on it, you are taken to the HyperX Savage!
Attached Images

Last edited by MARSTG; May 2, 2016 at 08:14 AM.