Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2016, 01:32 PM
Rookie

Cool water cooling

Hie first time on here.................
I have a question about a build I am planning to start this winter.
NEVER built a computer before and I am going to build a water cooled system.
I have heard that you have to change the water every year depends on the liqued used.
BUT on YouTube I watched someone build an oil cooled pc in a fish tank and they said that the mineral oil should be OK for many years as long as you didn't get bits in it to short out the electrics.
So can you uses mineral oil instead of water??
Old April 28, 2016, 01:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

AFAIK not inside your tubing. I'd think that mineral oil would be thicker than water and as such would put a heavy stress on any pump you choose to use.

As far as swapping out the water goes.... I'd almost be willing to bet that you'll end up redoing your loop at least once in your first year.... :) Other than that, all I ever used was low mineral content distilled water with a couple of drops worth of PT Nuke to keep possible algae away.

Probably more likely to have issues with the tubing leaching crap than with the water.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old April 28, 2016, 01:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you've never built a PC before I'd recommend you start with a All-In-One watercooler like the Corsair H110. Custom loops can be tricky. Get your PC built and working, then add a custom loop if you feel the need.
Old April 28, 2016, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

silver fittings FTW and distilled
Old April 29, 2016, 01:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
AFAIK not inside your tubing. I'd think that mineral oil would be thicker than water and as such would put a heavy stress on any pump you choose to use.

As far as swapping out the water goes.... I'd almost be willing to bet that you'll end up redoing your loop at least once in your first year.... :) Other than that, all I ever used was low mineral content distilled water with a couple of drops worth of PT Nuke to keep possible algae away.

Probably more likely to have issues with the tubing leaching crap than with the water.
thanks for the help