Old March 29, 2016, 01:14 AM
Rookie

Default new build what do you think?

all i need is cpu ram and mb.

i already have a gtx 980
hard drives are good.

im thinking

gigabyte gaming 5
this memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GVGB - Newegg.com.

there are ram kits that are more money for the

same speed. but are they any better?

this was the hardest decision Thermaltake NiC C5 (CLP0608) 120mm Untouchable CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

there are soo many heat sinks an fans to choose from. have you any better ideas?
i already have the creative labs z sound card. or i would have gone with the gaming 7. i would think the separate sound card is better than on board even though its the same core 3d chip. right?

thanks
Old March 29, 2016, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Heyyo,

Tbh for RAM? It's up to you if you want 16GB and 3000MHz kits. RAM does help performance but not as much as say bumping up your CPU overclocks.

For example,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $129.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-29 11:09 EDT-0400

So the ones I picked out did cost $5.01 USD more but you do get a liquid cooler for your CPU to bump up your overclocks further with better temperatures and DDR4 2600 MHz is still plenty of RAM.

Here's what I mean for RAM vs CPU OC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y

note the i5-6500 OC, the RAM at 2632MHz vs 3196MHz essentially scored the same and beat out stock CPU clocks with 3200MHz RAM (which mind you is insanely expensive and only useful for hardcore video editors making RAM scratch disks and such).

I know not everyone is into liquid cooling units for CPU coolers and that's fine. If ya want heatsink and fan only cooling? Tbh HWC did a video about be quiet!'s Dark Rock 3 cooler and it is a beautiful cooler that seems to get good reviews as well. Plus true to the company's name? be quiet! Dark Rock 3 is quite the silent cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $134.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-29 11:38 EDT-0400

Up to you though mang! Just my suggestions. :)

[EDIT1]
Oops forgot to comment on sound card. :P

Tbh? I myself will never buy another sound card again. Creative Labs drivers at least for the Recon 3D PCI-E for Windows 10 are garbage. I get crackling sound with Teamspeak and Mumble about twice a week. It's advertised as a 24bit 192kHz sound card yet if I set it to that? Crackles like crazy at least six times a week. sigh. I have it set to 16bit 44kHz right meow to keep the crackling down but at that point? I might as well be running onboard sound lol. Creative Labs have not updated the sound driver since August 2015... so I feel that eventually Creative Labs will do the same to the Sound Blaster Z lineup. It's just not worth it anymore. You're better off getting a USB Digital Analogue Converter (DAC) that won't have any sound crackling issues as it is external and will provide just as good of sound quality. Then again, I don't think the sound quality difference will be that much unless you have super expensive monitor headphones or speakers. I do regret my Sound Blaster Recon 3D PCI-E quite a bit... and mine was the FATAL1TY Professional since it was on sale for $80 CAD... I wish I still had that $80 CAD meow lol.

Last edited by ThE_MarD; March 29, 2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old March 29, 2016, 03:00 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

MSI Gaming 5 and ASUS Z170-Pro are two other good alternatives in the same(ish) price bracket. With that being said if your budget can stretch to a RoG Maxi Gene... its one of my favs of this gen (it and the Sabertooth... both of which I use in my own builds).

Not a fond lover of Tt products. I would instead recommend a Noctua U12S or Phanteks TC12DX. Two very good air coolers that are not that heavy! For AIOs. Depends on the case. For most people a single bay is 'good enough'. Kraken X41 is a beast. Kraken X31 is also very good. Corsair H60, H80(series), and H90 are also decent choices.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 29, 2016, 09:18 PM
Rookie

the water cooling looks interesting but ive not got the stomach for possible leaks. god imagine leaking on your 980ti.

i looked the the asus pro. it only has 4 sata ports. i need at least 6 .

msi screwed me a few years ago on a bad board ive swore them off :-)

thank you for the imput
Old March 29, 2016, 09:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Look again, the z170-Pro does have six SATA ports (4 plus a SATA Express, which is backwards compatible). :)
Old March 29, 2016, 09:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I really like Phanteks PH-TC14PE and Be Quiet's Dark Rock Pro 3 for big air coolers. Throw in the Cryorig's R1 as well.

But if you get this motherboard, you will have a free 8GB ram kit. ASUS Z170-E LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
Old March 29, 2016, 10:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker1866 View Post
the water cooling looks interesting but ive not got the stomach for possible leaks. god imagine leaking on your 980ti.

i looked the the asus pro. it only has 4 sata ports. i need at least 6 .

msi screwed me a few years ago on a bad board ive swore them off :-)

thank you for the imput
-A and -Pro both have six SATA ports (as no-one will ever use the SE port on a budget board!)

If a leak is caused by the AIO... NZXT or Corsiar or (basically any mainstream teir 1 company) will make it right. Corsair's even come with a slip of paper that states this.

Understandable on MSI. Go with which ever mfger has been 'good' to you in the past.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr