Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2016, 10:47 AM
Rookie

having a hard time finding the X2 Prestige is stock at a decent price. Might have to settle for something else. X61 Kraken or the h110i GTX...
Old April 3, 2016, 07:23 PM
Rookie

Default UPDATE

System is up and running! so i ended up with the Kraken X61 and and the Zotac 980ti Extreme Amp edition. CPU running at 4.5ghz w/ 1.2V Loving it so far!

now im about to pull the trigger for a WD 5TB Black on newegg for an archive drive. they're running a special for $189 right now.

What would you guys suggests for backup system? NAS? RAID? Cloud?
Thanks
Old April 4, 2016, 05:46 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

"What would you guys suggests for backup system? NAS? RAID? Cloud?"

Short answer: Yes. As in all of them. BUT none of those options are true backup storage options. They are all online storage or nearline storage options.... none are offline backup. The simple rule is: if its online its going to fail.

Depending on how serious you take your data you may want to do this:
RAID for redundancy in your system -> Online 'backup'.
NAS for further redundancy (as RAID can and will fail... and you can just copy the data back after it fails) -> nearline 'backup'
Portable HDDs (two per data. eg need 2TB of backup? get TWO 2TB drives) that is offline AND offsite (say in a lockbox at your bank) with a backup of the data.... as NAS arrays also fails.... or if your house burns down / floods/ etc and kills your NAS and RAID arrays. You can sub in a tape but meh.

That is a backup scheme. Basically defense in depth is the name of the game if you want to backup your data.

Do most need this level of backup... nope? But I would recommend a NAS and a portable drive as min level for 'backing up' important data.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr