Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2014, 04:21 PM
Rookie

Default First PC Build. Ever. Check My Parts?

Hey all. I'm new to the art of PC building, and looking to build one for a little bit of a summer project (plus I'm tired of my laptop). I've been researching for a little while and compiled a list of the components, and wanted to get some constructive criticism or advice before I buy.

I'll be using the PC for video and graphic editing and rendering, as well as gaming with modern, demanding titles. I tend to run heavy programs together. I don't really have a budget, I just want to keep it reasonable. I'll be buying parts online, from wherever really. I figure with the water cooling I'll be alright with overclocking, but it's not on the top of my list.

Again, I haven't bought any of my parts yet, and keep in mind when reading through this that I have never, ever dabbled in computer building before, so again, constructive criticism welcome

CASE

I'll be using the NZXT H440 case. Still deciding between white or black and blue.

CPU

I'll (naturally) be going for an Intel i7 4770K. I figure going a few extra bucks from the 4770 is worth it in case I decide to overclock.

GPU

I'm thinking of going for the late GeForce GTX 770. The 780 or 780Ti will break the bank a bit too much for me.

RAM

Decided on the G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB 2400 RAM.

MB

I really loved the value, look, and features of the ASRock Z97 Extreme.

STORAGE

A Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD for the OS and some programs, and a WD Black 1TB drive for everything else.

PSU

I didn't have a clue when it came to the PSU, do you think the Corsair HX 750W will be enough (or too much)?

COOLING

I'll be leaving the 3 stock fans in the front. The back fan will be replaced with one of the Enermax 120mm Vegas (blue) fans.

As for the top 3 spots, that's where I'll stick my Swiftech Triple 120mm radiator. I'm a noob when it comes to water cooling, so you may get a chuckle out of this, but do I need 3 120mm fans along with the radiator, and do they go above or below the radiator?

I'll be water cooling the CPU and the GPU. I went with this Swiftech Apogee HD waterblock for the CPU and this EK waterblock for the 770 (GPU).

Powering the water will be the Swiftech MCP35X Pump, and the reservoir will be the directly mountable MCP35X reservoir from Swiftech.

For tubing, I just picked out some vinyl from Switech (10ft). I still don't know which size is right, however. Would the 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID fit with my waterblocks, pump, reservoir, and radiator? What kind of fittings would I need? I need the most advice on that.

To finish it all up, I went with this non-conductive Blue UV coolant, I think two bottles should do the job?

MONITOR

I'm honestly liking the AOC 29" wide monitor: high resolution, cheap price, nice large IPS panel.

ACCESSORIES

This Akasa blue LED strip.

These Logisys UV lights for the coolant.

This Samsung external optical drive, as the case doesn't come with a spot for one.

I've yet to find a keyboard or mouse, would appreciate suggestions.

Well folks, that's it. I would appreciate any and all comments, improvements, or criticisms on the hardware, functionality, and even the physical appeal (I went for the blue scheme obviously). Thanks!

Last edited by Xenova; June 17, 2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old June 17, 2014, 07:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hi Xenova and welcome to Hardware Canucks!

Just so you know, editing your first post will throw it back into our moderation queue, so thus why it disappeared. Once you get a few more posts under your belt, this will stop happening
Old June 17, 2014, 08:14 PM
Rookie

Sorry about that! Wasn't quite sure what was going on Will keep in mind for future reference.
Old June 17, 2014, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

All fititngs on your WC'ing gear ...as in Blocks and rads are G1/4"...standard now and standard on most Fittings....whether Compression or Barb...and yes, you'll need 3 High Static Pressure fans to go with your 120.3 Rad....personally I'd stick to colored tubing and clear Coolant.
As for PSU that will be plenty of power, I prefer the AX Series ;)

Old June 17, 2014, 08:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
All fititngs on your WC'ing gear ...as in Blocks and rads are G1/4"...standard now and standard on most Fittings....whether Compression or Barb...and yes, you'll need 3 High Static Pressure fans to go with your 120.3 Rad....personally I'd stick to colored tubing and clear Coolant.
As for PSU that will be plenty of power, I prefer the AX Series ;)
Gracias for the help.

So my GPU block looks like it's set for G1/4" threads, but I'm a little confused on the CPU block, it looks like it comes with the barbs? Are they the right size? Will one size barb fit into all of my parts (both blocks, rad, pump, reservoir), or will I need some sort of adapter? What size tubing fits with these barbs?

Thanks, I think I'll take your advice on the colored tubes and AX series :)
Old June 17, 2014, 10:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Curious about your monitor choice. Why did you go with the 21:9 aspect ratio? Is it to take place of dual-screen or just watching movies? Is there a disadvantage? I never looked into them before but now I'm intrigued! :)

I run two Dell 23" IPS and a LG 29" TFT at home.
Old June 18, 2014, 02:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personally for a gaming rig I think that monitor will suck.. It's going to give you issues with res etc and IPS is not the best for gaming.. Look at the new Asus ROG gsync as an option (not released yet)
The TN panel in the asus is supposed to be top notch and may be better than entry level IPS for colours etc. It has more space as it's 2560x1440 and 144hz with gsync should mean evrything will run as fluid as it can.. Though the GPU is going to be your weak link.

If getting z79, look at devils canyon cpu's.. again not released yet but they should be same price as 4770k and if claims hold true be better clockers and better temps.

Really 120GB is getting a bit small (when you consider most games are between 8 and 20GB these days) I would suggest 256 min for your ssd..
Remember that performance degrades the fuller it is, I try keep mine at sub 80% but even chock full it will knock the socks off a HDD

PSU, I would go 850W to allow for dual cards in the future with oc and everything else, ax860 is a sweet sweet PSU.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 18, 2014, 03:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For your storage drive, I would go with a WD RED and 2TB minimum.
Old June 18, 2014, 09:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Curious about your monitor choice. Why did you go with the 21:9 aspect ratio? Is it to take place of dual-screen or just watching movies? Is there a disadvantage? I never looked into them before but now I'm intrigued! :)

I run two Dell 23" IPS and a LG 29" TFT at home.
It was to take place of a dual screen, but now I am considering going with just one large (standard aspect) monitor.
Old June 18, 2014, 09:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Personally for a gaming rig I think that monitor will suck.. It's going to give you issues with res etc and IPS is not the best for gaming.. Look at the new Asus ROG gsync as an option (not released yet)
The TN panel in the asus is supposed to be top notch and may be better than entry level IPS for colours etc. It has more space as it's 2560x1440 and 144hz with gsync should mean evrything will run as fluid as it can.. Though the GPU is going to be your weak link.

If getting z79, look at devils canyon cpu's.. again not released yet but they should be same price as 4770k and if claims hold true be better clockers and better temps.

Really 120GB is getting a bit small (when you consider most games are between 8 and 20GB these days) I would suggest 256 min for your ssd..
Remember that performance degrades the fuller it is, I try keep mine at sub 80% but even chock full it will knock the socks off a HDD

PSU, I would go 850W to allow for dual cards in the future with oc and everything else, ax860 is a sweet sweet PSU.
Thanks, I'll certainly look into the ASUS monitor. I'm also looking at upgrading the SSD.