Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2014, 09:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default First ever build for gaming! Advice needed :)

Hi guys,

I've started on my first ever build, a ďhigh-endĒ gaming rig. I'm doing my research now and buying parts as I find them on special.

So far I've ordered two parts, which are on the way:

1. MSI Radeon R9 290X GAMING 4GB
2. Intel 530 Series 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD

I've now found what seems to be a very good PC case on special at NCIX and want to jump on the deal before it expires, IF it suits my needs:

Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Tower Case Black Pearl

For the motherboard, I am thinking of going with the ASUS Maximux VI Hero or Formula, which I think would fit nicely in the case, no problem.

What I want to do is ensure that this case provides: 1) enough room for good ventilation, considering that I might eventually have two video cards running in Crossfire/SLI, and 2) enough space for the PSU, which I havenít picked yet.

I would appreciate it if you guys could help me determine my PSU needs. I want to account for:

- an overclocked CPU (i5 4670k or i7 4770k or one of the new Devilís Canyon CPUs) with either air cooler or closed-loop water cooler
- two high-end video cards in Crossfire/SLI, with either stock air coolers or aftermarket closed-loop water coolers
- 2 x 8 GB RAM
- 2-3 SSDs
- 1 DVD-RW optical drive
- wireless network card (if not provided with the mobo)

Iíve read around a bit and am thinking of going with a 1,000W PSU. It might be overkill but Iíd rather be prepared for future upgrades than have to buy a new one later on. Iíd like to buy a quality PSU. Iíve looked up some 1,000W PSUs and Iím doubting that it would fit properly in the above-mentioned case, vent down (too big?).

Thatís about it guys. If you could tell me if this case would allow for proper ventilation with my planned setup, and suggest a suitable PSU for my needs which would go well with the above-mentioned case (or if necessary, a new PSU-case combo) that would be great!

Please keep in mind that Iíd like to keep costs low. Iím focusing on this case because itís on special and has excellent reviews. :)

Thanks a bunch!

Frugalmeister
Old June 17, 2014, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A few quick points.

If I was you I would go for a newer z97 motherboard and save a few $ by going for one sub $200. Usually you can get models without the top tier names on them (ex formula/big bang/ maximux/etc) in that price range that offer pretty much the same feature set.

If you are sure you are likely to go to dual 290x then a 1000w PSU is not a bad idea, but if you aren't likely too a lot of money can be saved by backing down to a nice 750w model (1000w+ psu get expensive fast). For instance:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/xfx-pro-7...78946-1068.htm

Excellent gold 750w PSU with Seasonic OEM. 1000w+ quality PSU will likely run you $200 or more.

I don't have any experience with that case, but personally I prefer cases without a door on them (the door restricts airflow and is used to keep noise down...and the looks). If I was buying a case right now it would be this:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/fractal-d...78227-1360.htm

Lastly, given devil's canyon CPU are suppose to sell without a premium I would go for a 4790k or 4690k. If there is a premium the call is yours if its worth it.

Last edited by Bond007; June 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old June 17, 2014, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

motherboard examples...are they missing anything you want/need:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-...96896-1068.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-z97-...97021-1360.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-z97-g...97043-1360.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-z97-g...97044-1360.htm

And here is another <$100 case you could consider (with or without window):

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-c...74835-1360.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-c...66063-1360.htm

Last edited by Bond007; June 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old June 17, 2014, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have to say I liked the hero, top quality components and very little of the stuff no-one uses.
As for features / overclockability, Bond is right, most boards(same chipset) will give the same performance.

Case, personal preference for features / looks are key, the R4 is fine but as said above, has limited airflow due to the sound dampening design.
That said it's probably one of the better cooled silent cases. You need to prioritize them yourself.
It should fit Most PSU's unless they are REALLY long / big, it's not a tiny case. "ATX PSUs up to 170mm deep when using the bottom fan location, when not using this fan location longer PSUs (up to 270mm deep) can be used".. So you just need to check if they are 170mm+..
My 1000W supply is 190mm, it's big but not monsterous so you may be cutting it close. The PSU will run better with cool air but if you get a good one it should make no difference and you can use it as an additional exhaust for the case by not using the bottom vent.
If your looking at silent, I believe NZXT have a decent design.

a 290x requires really good cooling to get the best from it, make sure you get one with a proven cooler on it or look at water.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 17, 2014, 05:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for your input guys! :D

Bond007:

Quote:
If I was you I would go for a newer z97 motherboard and save a few $ by going for one sub $200. Usually you can get models without the top tier names on them (ex formula/big bang/ maximux/etc) in that price range that offer pretty much the same feature set.
Does a Z97 motherboard actually support the new and upcoming generation of Intel processors (Broadwell)? Some sites mention this while others don't. If yes then I'd definitely be willing to invest in one of the new Z97 boards.

I sorta want to go with a black and red theme for the inside of my case. The MSI models you linked would fit the bill, but when given a choice between MSI and ASUS, most people seem to pick ASUS without a second thought for its top-notch quality. I quite like the ASUS Maximus Hero, which has a Z97 model, and would be willing to pay for it. The only downside I can see is that it doesn't come with a wireless network card. But that can always be added later.

Quote:
If you are sure you are likely to go to dual 290x then a 1000w PSU is not a bad idea, but if you aren't likely too a lot of money can be saved by backing down to a nice 750w model (1000w+ psu get expensive fast).
I think I'm going to want to invest in a quality 1,000W PSU to cover any future needs. The price may be steep but I'd rather pay now than pay twice. I'll keep an eye out for deals. :)

Quote:
I don't have any experience with that case, but personally I prefer cases without a door on them (the door restricts airflow and is used to keep noise down...and the looks). If I was buying a case right now it would be this:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/fractal-d...78227-1360.htm
The case you suggested is really nice. I like that it has a side window and a brushed metal look at the front. Even so I think I prefer the Fractal Design Define R4 for its advanced soundproofing features, as I'd like a quiet system. In the Newegg video, they say that the front edges of the case are slotted, so ventilation isn't completely restricted when the door is closed. I also like the conservative look of the case; I've never been much of a show off. :) Even so, I'll have another look at the other Fractal Design case you suggested. I really like its look!

Dzzope:

Quote:
The PSU will run better with cool air but if you get a good one it should make no difference and you can use it as an additional exhaust for the case by not using the bottom vent.
This was my concern. One of Newegg's top-rated PSUs, the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W ($260!) is 200mm long, so a PSU of this size (most if not all 1,000W PSUs I think) would need to be pulling air from inside the case. Does it really make no difference?

Quote:
If your looking at silent, I believe NZXT have a decent design.
Any suggestions? :)

Quote:
a 290x requires really good cooling to get the best from it, make sure you get one with a proven cooler on it or look at water.
Yes! The model I ordered comes with a Twin Frozr cooler, which seems to make the temp issue of the reference design a non-issue. Unless I'm running more than one card it seems.

Thanks again and please keep the suggestions coming!

Frugalmeister

Last edited by Frugalmeister; June 17, 2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old June 17, 2014, 06:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hmm, I see that the Fractal Design Midi R2 comes with three fans. If ventilation will be an issue for me, maybe this case is a better bet. Newegg's selling it for $95 (+ $20 shipping) vs. NCIX's $110 (+ shipping and insurance).

Frugalmeister
Old June 17, 2014, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalmeister View Post
Does a Z97 motherboard actually support the new and upcoming generation of Intel processors (Broadwell)? Some sites mention this while others don't. If yes then I'd definitely be willing to invest in one of the new Z97 boards.
Rumour has it that it that Z97 will support broadwell, but you never know until close to release date (this far out its anyone's guess and rumours are just that). Most Z97 boards are similar pricing to Z87...its the direct replacement for them (obviously right now there likely won't be much in the way of sales though since they are new)...Z87 should phase out relatively quickly now since Z97 support all the same CPU. Given the amount you are spending on this computer I think its a no brainer to go for Z97, unless you got an absolutely phenomenal deal on a Z87 board.
Old June 17, 2014, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalmeister View Post
Hmm, I see that the Fractal Design Midi R2 comes with three fans. If ventilation will be an issue for me, maybe this case is a better bet. Newegg's selling it for $95 (+ $20 shipping) vs. NCIX's $110 (+ shipping and insurance).

Frugalmeister

Consider memoryexpress as well. They have a great pricebeat policy...25%off of the difference in price. They have less options than NCIX and newegg, but you can get great deals with the price beat.
Old June 18, 2014, 02:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

NZXT | PC Hardware Manufacturer - Creators of Crafted Gaming Armor

H2 + H220 are silent but from my case (the P630) it's very quiet anyway
I only get very low fan noise at idle and at load the GPU will be louder anyway but then I have speakers up or headset on so no issue for me.

+1 on H97.. for a small premium on z87 you can get devils canyon without bios updates etc and the possibility of supporting broadwell which you won't need any upgrade for quite a few years on CPU, but if broadwell is a monster then you could have a drop in upgrade (second hand when you find the current one lacking) on the cheap.

Worth the lil bit extra IMO.

For PSU, I would go quality over quantity, ax860 or similar, you won't overload it with dual cards, oc loop etc. you would need 3 GPU's to do that. Managed to find my xfx 1000w platinum for the same price as most 850W golds were at the time but I got very lucky.

Keep your eyes peeled and you'll find something.

Also, if your ever south of the border and near a micro centre, they usually have cpu's at really good prices, but you have to walk in. It's their loss leader to get people in the door.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; June 18, 2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old June 18, 2014, 02:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok, looks like I'll definitely be going with the Z97. :)

Bond007, for the case you suggested, because there's a window on the side, I don't see any room for a side fan. If I'm considering cooling my cards either with an air or closed loop water cooler, wouldn't it be good for the case to have this feature?

Frugalmeister