Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2014, 01:45 AM
Allstar

CPU: i7 4970K is the undisputed champ. If you're into overclocking. It won't do (much) better in high resolution gaming than the i5 4690K but we haven't seen a review of the latter yet so I'd wait for that.

RAM: Prices are close enough all the way to 2400hz CL10. G.Skill Trident is my pick but Mushkin Redline is popular as well. Team Extreme have the best price and the user reviews seem positive. My recommendation is 2x8GB(16GB). You won't need more than 8GB but using two memory sticks is the optimal solution, and 4GB sticks are not as future proof.

1TB SSD: the SATA 6.0GB champion is the Sandisk Extreme Pro. The SATA form factor is limited compared to M2 but it is the mainstream with the most mature products for now and probably the rest of the year.

Case: Full tower with the looks and the cooling powers? Corasir Graphite 780T is yet to be released so I'd wait for it to compare it with the Cosmos and Phantom cases. I expect it to be better.

HDD: Get the 4TB (4x1TB platter) models. HGST, Seagate or WD. You will be better off with the quietest, lowest power consuming model you can find since you have 1TB of SSD, so avoid the noisy high performance models.

For Z97 motherboards it isn't clear yet as the Asus ROG Maximus 7 Extreme isn't out yet. I think it will be the one to beat.

It's also not so clear for video cards. You will need to crossire or SLI (2 videocards) ro drive your high-end monitor, but that comes with much hassle, bugs, and sometimes stuttering, most of the time waiting for the game to be supported by that format especially for the Radeons. I find the R9 290 to be a champion in high res multi-card gaming if you can find two for less than $750, which was possible two weeks earlier but prices have gone up so I won't advise against something bigger such as the 780ti SLI or R9 290X CF. Dual GPUs on 1 card models are an option too but I don't like their prices.
Old June 17, 2014, 04:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If I was building new today I would go for that asus 1440 144hz gsync monitor, a pair of 780's(or similar) on a 4770k (or the new devils canyon chip) 2x8GB ram as said go 2133/2400, price difference below is negligible, dunno if they did a new version but the Asus Maximus Hero was everything I look for in a board, great components, good sound and everything you need without jamming in the kitchen sink, For storage, I'd be tempted by a dedicated storage box / device shared across the network so you can access on lappy / tv etc, Sammy 840 pro or similar SSD, 512GB should be an option for you..

Case: Phanteks Ethoo pimo is awesome, depends whats important to you though, Silence, style(and this varies person to person), watercooling ability, airflow etc
I have the NZXT 630(lil bro to the 820, though 90% of the looks, functions and size are all there) and it was a pleasure to build in. Great cooling, good fans (pretty quiet, decent airflow) but they are big (Full tower)
The new corsair 780T looks awesome to me (then I loved the old one too) AnandTech | Corsair Unveils Three New Cases: the Graphite 380T, the Carbide Air 240 and the Graphite 780T

If money is no obstacle and it won't be moved then I would deff go water cooled and a nice big (or dual) cards in a loop, it will require some maintenance but will be quieter, cooler and perform better (no thermal throttling of the cards)
Better again, go small and get a R9 295.. Plenty of power for years to come and it's own loop just drop another AIO on the CPU and you'll be golden.

Games to play, how much you have or want to spend, rez and frequency that the monitor will be will be deciding factors in choosing cards.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"

Last edited by Dzzope; June 17, 2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old June 19, 2014, 09:34 AM
Rookie

can u suggest most future proof mother board
Old June 19, 2014, 12:04 PM
Allstar

Even if someone had a recommendation, there are models to be released soon so read up on what's available now and keep your eyes open for reviews. If I was future proofing I would think about "flagship" models with the PLX chip that gives extra lanes in the PCI-E 3.0 slots necessary to be able to CF/SLI at full bandwidth, add an M2 SSD among other add-ons.

Asus has the easiest to use, most refined bios, but if you are experienced, Asrock, Gigabyte and MSI have nice motherboards too. Looking at user reviews on Newegg, MSI BIOS is full of bugs now but these problems are usually fixed later by an update.

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming GT LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
I have never seen a PLX-equipped motherboard at this price range. I'm not sure what the catch is but the heatsink isn't as big as the next two so my guess is "not as good an overclocker as them.

The next two seem to have it all, but like I said before, I'm still waiting on the ROG Extreme 7, which will probably be more expensive, but might be worth it.

ASRock Z97 Extreme9 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
ASUS Z97-WS Intel LGA1150 HDMI/DisplayPort /Mini DisplayPort Dual server-grade Intel LAN ATX Server Workstation Motherboard for Quad-strength Graphic Power - Newegg.com
Old June 19, 2014, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam11088 View Post
can u suggest most future proof mother board
Really the best you can hope for (with Intel) is to support the next one gen. z97 will support the new devils canyon and if bios updates are made for a specific board, it should do broadwell too.. Tht said if the last few gens are to go off, it will be an incremental step rather than a leap and you'll need no change anyway.

As for PLX chips NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Review
Basically, Pcie2 is fine for a 690 then Pcie3@x8 will be fine for any single core card that doesn't beat a 690 by a significant amount.. also as the res increases any issues with bandwidth lessen.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"