Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2014, 08:04 PM
Rookie

Default Just a few more parts..

Hi guys. So this is the current build I'm aiming for:

Intel Core i5-4670K, Asus GeForce GTX 760, Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

I've actually acquired the majority of the parts, but I've got a few sticking points that I haven't entirely made my mind up for.

The power supply: Originally I was going to pick up the Cooler Master v1000, to give me enough overhead for overclocking BOTH the CPU and GPU, picking up another GTX 760 for SLI, and then creating a custom water-cooling loop. Is the v1000 too much or just right?

Graphics card: This is one the that I'm agonizing over the most. All the different options and manufacturers, I'm not sure which one I should be picking up. I figure I only need a 2GB card, and as I mentioned I plan to water cool it, so I figure I don't need to get a super fancy fan setup for it. But if I'm overclocking, do I need to pay attention to its core clock?
Old June 10, 2014, 07:21 AM
Rookie

A 750w is plenty for any kind of overclocking on 4670+760 sli

fan of PSU may get loud during full load though, where a v1000 would barely be spinning at full load (<750w)

Most of the time manufacture's oc is minuscule and does not imply anything about the card's oc'ability
however there are some cards (evga classified, msi lighting, asus matrix platinum) which are binned for better OC
Old June 10, 2014, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Pitty you didn't wait for the new chips, They could be monster overclockers if intel have done what they claim.

For sli, oc and water I would say 850 to leave some head room of never going over 90% load no matter what. If you can find a 1000W on a deal (like I did, same price as a 850W gold one) Then all the better, it will generally run cooler and more efficient and stable. Though with a good supply that shouldn't be much of a problem at 850.

As for GPU, get the single most powerful you can and then replace, especially with water as you have to spend on 2 blocks and could probably go decently faster with no issues ever of sli problems / scaling issues etc.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 11, 2014, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Get rid of that Air Cooler and get your self an AIO Liquid cooler for the CPU (if you can come up with the extra $50 or so)...looks way better, provided your Case can handle the 240mm Rad it will take up less space and give you a better edge performance wise for OC'ing