Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2014, 09:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would recomend not opting for a Crucial MX100. Sure its the repalcement for the M500 and uses the same controller as the M550...but they use ONFi 3 128GBit NAND for the entire line. That means fewer NAND ICs...and massive performance reduction when comparing M550 to the 'new' MX100. Honestly only the large 512GB MX100s are going to be good (arguably as good as the M550...but lower nm NAND is lower nM NAND).

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 8, 2014, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How about this? Intel Core i5-4690, MSI Radeon R9 280X, Cooler Master N200 - System Build - PCPartPicker
Core i5, latest refresh, good cooling, 3x1TB hdds to make a RAID5 array, supported by your motherboard, so you have speed and safety of the data!
Old June 8, 2014, 05:18 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As per the very first link:

"First page:

Due to the use of 128Gbit NAND, the write performance at smaller capacities takes a hit. I covered the reasons behind this in detail in the M550 review but in short the higher capacity per die means that fewer die are needed to achieve a certain capacity. This in turn reduces parallelism, which is the key of SSD performance in the first place. A single NAND die isn't very fast, but when you have multiple dies working in parallel, the performance adds up and you get hundreds of megabytes of throughput.

Last Page:
it also provides a minor increase in performance over the M500"

Now let me translate that for you. Its got all the problems of the M500 but is going to be cheaper and a touch faster thanks to the newer and slight faster controller. The problem being the 128GB'ers are the worse hit by using mega NAND ICs....though to be fair 64GB drives would be hit even worse but I doubt we will ever see a MX100 64GB'er. ;)

Why does this happen? Because simply populating all 8 channels of a controller doesnt mean all that much. Its only when you have multiple dies per channel that a drive gets 'fast'. IE NAND Interleaving makes or breaks a drive. Honestly quad dies per channel is the sweet spot for most SATA/AHCI controllers. That means 16 NAND ICs that are dual die (or in some very rare cases 8 quad die NAND ICs).

The problem is....that when dealing with 128GBit NAND...its doesnt take much to reach 128GByte capacity....as each NAND die is 16GB in size (128Gbit/8bits to a byte = 16GB). This means SINGLE die per channel (16GB per die * 8 ICs =128GBytes). This is why the 256 is faster than the 128...and the 512 is the only 'full speed' model (as it has quad dies per channel).

Crucial KNOWS this and thats why the M550 uses 64GBit for the smaller capacity models. Thats why the M550 is on my recommend and personal use lists...but only the largest SP920, MX100 and M500 are ;)

Worse once you start filling these 128GBit'er based drives up (as peeps like to actually USE a drive for more than just benchmarking)...the performance will tank even faster (as less chips to spread the load around on, which in turn makes the issue worse - once again going back to interleaving)....something which both of those reviews seem to fail to address. I will not comment/speculate on why that is.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; June 8, 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old June 9, 2014, 06:24 AM
Rookie

..after all this.. hes picking different things than I told him! already dropped the 280x for an asus R9 270x (even when he said that I said to drop to the 270 and OC it).. nope.. hes not listening.
I will never understand that.

Just like a friend of mine... "hows this system?" I said... noooo its an nvidia quadro card.. thats NOT for gaming. Dont get it... a week later? he bought it. Now 6 months later... "Hey I need a new graphics card, i cant run any good games." *FACEPALM*
Old June 10, 2014, 06:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFX View Post
yeah $200 more puts him out of his budget (if it were my son, I would just fork it over lol, but its his friend)

I will tell him to look at other case choices as well. As far as Asus, i love their stuff but seems to be more $ for the same level as the MSI.

I will mention the SSD as well... but heres a ? about that
Is it a good option to get a small one (like 128gb) and put just the OS on it? using a red HD for storage?
He will fill an SSD like that size in no time (loves music, has tons.. plus photos etc)

Asus has some terrible RMA horror stories online, check it out.
290 would be futureproof for most things but for 1080p a 280x is probably enough
Old June 12, 2014, 04:01 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I like your original build as is personally (well the case is not my favorite but still). Pop in an SSD at a later date and you're set.

I would never step down on the CPU or GPU for an SSD but that's me.
Old June 12, 2014, 04:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Your first build is similar to my current rig and I have to say it has no problems running games at 1080p, the main difference is that I have an SSD as I have no need for a HDD as I have a NAS for my main storage.
Old June 18, 2014, 06:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cennis View Post
Asus has some terrible RMA horror stories online, check it out.
290 would be futureproof for most things but for 1080p a 280x is probably enough
As do all companies, from what I've been hearing they have been steadily increasing the quality of their after sales.

As for SSD, yes, 128 (pref 256 as 128 fills really really fast but as budget allows) + HDD is best, offload media etc to hdd and have os, commonly used apps & games on the SSD.

For price of asus vs msi vs gigabyte vs AsRock. yes, you pay for the name but some names are better than others for a reason.
No matter which company you choose it's a bit of a lottery if you will get something that is not 100%, it's how they deal with issues and how easy it is to return an item (I believe Asus and MSI have Canadian RMA centres, rest will have to ship to US or worse overseas. Correct me if this has changed guys)

Have used 4 Asrock boards in z77 and z87 rigs and they have all been a pleasure and smooth sailing. 2 boards were slightly warped but when it's screwed down in the case it's fine and they have all been 100% since the day they were built (and some overclocked).
2 best boards I've used were an Asus on my old i7 950 and a maximus hero on a friends build and my current MSI, again, both have been rock solid. Performance is pretty much the same but components are of a higher quality. Thats one thing I don't mind paying for.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"