Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2014, 02:25 AM
Rookie

Default Budget PC Build

AMD Athlon X4 760K, MSI Radeon R9 270, Corsair 200R - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

I have put together a parts list for my new budget gaming PC and was wondering if you would change anything about it to get better performance or cheaper.

I have chosen a 500W PSU as I want to upgrade to crossfire in the future to be able to run a dual monitor set up I will also be adding an SSD bottdrive in the near future so I don't want to have to buy a new PSU when I make these upgrades, I might need a 550W depending on how much the SSD requires so keep that in mind when making changes. Thank you in advance.
Old June 2, 2014, 08:06 AM
Top Prospect

What games will you be playing?
Why such a high end monitor (Dual HDMI, built in speakers, expensive for a 1080p 60Hz monitor) ?
Your SSD will use next to nothing in terms of power, your GPU is what usually draws lots of power and normally a 500W PSU is not enough, looks at 750W (That's what I aim for anyways) if you're running a dual GPU setup, then again, you're running a low end AMD CPU, so you might be able to pull it off, let's see what someone else says
Old June 2, 2014, 09:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkLord View Post
What games will you be playing?
Why such a high end monitor (Dual HDMI, built in speakers, expensive for a 1080p 60Hz monitor) ?
Your SSD will use next to nothing in terms of power, your GPU is what usually draws lots of power and normally a 500W PSU is not enough, looks at 750W (That's what I aim for anyways) if you're running a dual GPU setup, then again, you're running a low end AMD CPU, so you might be able to pull it off, let's see what someone else says
I will be playing petty much everything I do own an XB1 because I like playing with friends but the games are too expensive and stuff like the wolf among us isn't out on next gen yet. I need the dual HDMI for my XB1 + PC and I want 23"+ IPS monitor if there is a much cheaper option out there with those requirements then let me know, i checked the estimated wattage by adding a second graphics card to it in partpicker it said 500W so i change to a 500w but if i was to upgrade to an 8350 CPU in the future i would need more power?
Old June 2, 2014, 09:59 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Example View Post
I will be playing petty much everything I do own an XB1 because I like playing with friends but the games are too expensive and stuff like the wolf among us isn't out on next gen yet. I need the dual HDMI for my XB1 + PC and I want 23"+ IPS monitor if there is a much cheaper option out there with those requirements then let me know, i checked the estimated wattage by adding a second graphics card to it in partpicker it said 500W so i change to a 500w but if i was to upgrade to an 8350 CPU in the future i would need more power?
I would just buy a cheaper monitor with a single HDMI then buy an HDMI splitter, will require you to press a button to switch between inputs (I think some come with a remote) but it should be a lot cheaper.

Estimated wattage is 500W, so you should get at least a %20 more powerful PSU, better be safe than sorry.

An 8350 CPU uses the AM3+ Socket while the CPU you chose is a FM2 socket . Those are not the same, you will require a motherboard and a CPU change if you want to switch so be careful and yes, that CPU uses more power, so double check the wattage.

Also, if you're playing all the games that you can get your hands on, on ultra settings, might want to consider a high end AMD CPU or an i5 Intel one (Which really defeats the name Budget Build)
Old June 2, 2014, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As mentioned, keep in mind if you want to upgrade the CPU you will also need to change motherboards, as they use different sockets.

If you are looking to get a cheap cpu now and upgrade it later you could go to a 1150 socket intel motherboard and a pentium CPU, and then later upgrade it if you find it required (no motherboard change required).

Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor (BX80646G3220) - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

Current AMD CPU are, relatively speaking, power hungry (especially AM3 CPU like the 8350). If you are running the athlon or an intel CPU with crossfire 270 you should be fine on a 600-650w PSU, but if you want to run a 8350 with them I would up the PSU capacity (maybe 650-700w). Either way I would spend a bit more money on a high quality power supply. It will also be more efficient for its use. Here is the best one I can find quickly for you at a decent price:

XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (P1-550G-TS3X) - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

That said I wouldn't use it for crossfire cards. It might be enough (some people will say its fine), but I wouldn't use it for long term use. You could keep a 550w and use a more powerful single graphics card though (r9 280/280x or nvidia gtx 670/760/770), but as I said, if you want to crossfire I would up the PSU capacity.

Last edited by Bond007; June 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old June 4, 2014, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your config edited a bit towards better gaming performance, better responsiveness, (Hybrid HDD) CAS7 RAM and 5& cheaper.
Intel Pentium G3220, MSI Radeon R9 270, Corsair 200R - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom
Old June 10, 2014, 06:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
As mentioned, keep in mind if you want to upgrade the CPU you will also need to change motherboards, as they use different sockets.

If you are looking to get a cheap cpu now and upgrade it later you could go to a 1150 socket intel motherboard and a pentium CPU, and then later upgrade it if you find it required (no motherboard change required).

Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor (BX80646G3220) - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

Current AMD CPU are, relatively speaking, power hungry (especially AM3 CPU like the 8350). If you are running the athlon or an intel CPU with crossfire 270 you should be fine on a 600-650w PSU, but if you want to run a 8350 with them I would up the PSU capacity (maybe 650-700w). Either way I would spend a bit more money on a high quality power supply. It will also be more efficient for its use. Here is the best one I can find quickly for you at a decent price:

XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (P1-550G-TS3X) - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

That said I wouldn't use it for crossfire cards. It might be enough (some people will say its fine), but I wouldn't use it for long term use. You could keep a 550w and use a more powerful single graphics card though (r9 280/280x or nvidia gtx 670/760/770), but as I said, if you want to crossfire I would up the PSU capacity.

H81 mATX boards do not support SLI or crossfire
and if OP's went with that amd athlon cpu it will bottleneck crossfire most likely