Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2014, 11:17 AM
Rookie

Default Gaming laptop under $1200

Hey,

I've been following this forum for a while and i think it's now time to post something.

I want to play some not so demanding games (diablo, FPS, etc) in a 15"/17" laptop with SSD.
The main factor here is the "long life", i dont want to keep buying a computer every 3 years.
I dont want Acer.
Battery life doesn't really matter.

I'm currently considering buying a Clevo W370ss for $1200 (that's why it's the max i'm willing to pay).

Thank you guys,
Do your magic! :D
Old May 29, 2014, 04:52 PM
Top Prospect

Look at the Lenovo Y5** series. I have the Y580 and this has been a good laptop.
They have a Y510p for $819 at the moment that comes with a GT 775M.
Pretty sweet deal.... Granted this is USD, I assume they have a Canadian site too...
Lenovo Y510p | High-Performance 15.6" Multimedia Laptop from Lenovo | Lenovo (US)
Old May 29, 2014, 11:08 PM
Rookie

Yeah i was looking into that one before the Sager.

The thing is that the Y510p comes with a 755M instead of the 775M like you said.

I want a laptop that can stay around for 5 or more years, so it needs to be pretty good right now (not that saying that the Y510p is bad) and absolutly needs to have a good construction. Do you know if Lenovo has a good "body"? That's why i haven't bought the Sager already. I've heard that the 15" model heats too much and the sound is pretty crappy. And I don't even know about his build.
Old May 30, 2014, 02:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you want something that'll be around for more than 5 years and still able to play top games.. don't get a laptop..

For your uses though (guessing for college or work etc as well) it your only option.. there are some where you can change the GPU, Meaning you can upgrade it in a couple of years
but other than that I can only advise that you look for the single biggest GPU you can get no matter the brand (unless they have crap cooling). memory, hdd/sdd can be upgraded so leave these as secondary concerns.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old May 30, 2014, 05:08 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivalss View Post
Yeah i was looking into that one before the Sager.

The thing is that the Y510p comes with a 755M instead of the 775M like you said.

I want a laptop that can stay around for 5 or more years, so it needs to be pretty good right now (not that saying that the Y510p is bad) and absolutly needs to have a good construction. Do you know if Lenovo has a good "body"? That's why i haven't bought the Sager already. I've heard that the 15" model heats too much and the sound is pretty crappy. And I don't even know about his build.
Mine is used mainly for work and I travel around the world, it has an aluminum lid and is constructed well. I swapped out the slow HDD for a speedy SSD and am happier now.
Old May 30, 2014, 08:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
If you want something that'll be around for more than 5 years and still able to play top games.. don't get a laptop..

For your uses though (guessing for college or work etc as well) it your only option.. there are some where you can change the GPU, Meaning you can upgrade it in a couple of years
but other than that I can only advise that you look for the single biggest GPU you can get no matter the brand (unless they have crap cooling). memory, hdd/sdd can be upgraded so leave these as secondary concerns.

I dont need to play top games on this laptop, because i already have a desktop for that. I dont want to play Metro or Bioshock on this one. And i know that with this budget its impossible to run demanding games in 5 years or so. I just want a laptop that has a good build quality and can play "some" games in the future (I dont know if there's any game that comes out and I would like to play everytime). I don't really wanna play Battlefield or Crysis on it. Just Diablo, most of the hack and slash games and CS. But you know if another hack 'n' slash comes out with gorgeous graphics I want to be ready to play it.

Yeah, I'm taking it to College. So I really don't want to buy a 17".Those Sager/Clevo comes with i7-4710mq gtx 860m 8gb ram 120gb ssd. The only thing I don't like about them is their design and I don't know about their build quality. That's the main reason why I didn't buy him already.
Old May 30, 2014, 09:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footman View Post
Mine is used mainly for work and I travel around the world, it has an aluminum lid and is constructed well. I swapped out the slow HDD for a speedy SSD and am happier now.
You have that particular Y500 series? For how long do you have him?
Old May 30, 2014, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivalss View Post
You have that particular Y500 series? For how long do you have him?
I've had my Y580 for over a year now. Mine came with a GTX 660M and has been pretty good playing games. Having said this it is not really possible to play BF4 at 1080p with decent eye candy. CS is fine as is source based games. I also play Starcraft. The most modern FPS game I played on this with decent eye candy was Rage, so I assume that I will be able to play Wolfenstein too.... (Same game engine)....

I will say that the HDD was painfully slow, so best upgrade was SSD.

For the money it packs a lot in.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:45 AM
Top Prospect

Just found a fab deal on an HP Envy with a GT750M gpu:
HP ENVY 17t-j100 Leap Motion -Best Value | HP® Official Store
Old May 30, 2014, 03:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I've had my Y580 for over a year now. Mine came with a GTX 660M and has been pretty good playing games. Having said this it is not really possible to play BF4 at 1080p with decent eye candy. CS is fine as is source based games. I also play Starcraft. The most modern FPS game I played on this with decent eye candy was Rage, so I assume that I will be able to play Wolfenstein too.... (Same game engine)....

I will say that the HDD was painfully slow, so best upgrade was SSD.

For the money it packs a lot in.

Quote:
Just found a fab deal on an HP Envy with a GT750M gpu:
HP ENVY 17t-j100 Leap Motion -Best Value | HP® Official Store
I don't want to play heavy games right now, but who knows if I will play them in 2/3 years? Besides that I don't want to spend 1k every 2 years for some laptop...
That being said, I don't think it's worth to buy a 17" gt750m for 1k and the hp doesn't even have a SSD. I can get a 15" with 850m for the same money.

But I'll consider the new Y50 as soon as I can get some reviews!

So right now it's Sager NP7358 vs MSI GE60 (or another G series) and Lenovo Y50