Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2014, 11:26 PM
Rookie

Default Possible to upgrade? Or is it time for a new tower?

Hello peeps.

It has been awhile since I considered upgrading my pc, and the last build was back in 2011 so perhaps, it is time to do so.

The last time i really looked into the spec of things was back in 2010 and I built the current tower around 2011. It's mainly been used as a image, mutimedia editing machine and its been served me fine. When I built it back then I did not go for the cream of the crop and although it is working well still, the gamer side of me always cry when I had to settle to mid graphic setting (darn those water reflections!)

SPEC:
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
AMD Phenon II X6 1090T 3200MHZ
GeForce GTX 550 Ti
8G 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W
Windows 7 64bit

With games like Watch Dogs, Evolve and Dragon Age right by the corner, I am concerned that even with a GTX 770 it will be bottlenecked by other hardware. Should I just purchase a ps4 or with the 500 dollars price tag i can get something decent.

Also, what do you do with your old tower parts? Tossing them seems a waste, I still have my GT8600 somewhere in the basement.

Thanks for your input.
Old May 25, 2014, 11:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

$500 would be a tight budget for a refresh but if all you plan on doing is gaming on occasion then a ps4 would be a sound investment.

As for what to do with old parts most ppl either sell or if your like 99.99% of guys/girls on this forum we Repurpose the rig as a Htpc,File Server,Linux Box,Steam Machine.
Old May 26, 2014, 05:34 AM
Rookie

thank you for your reply.
I do have an older tower that I use as a file server! If i do purchase a 770, will it improve my performance if any, at all? are there any parts that I can continue to use besides the case and thermaltake fans? The budget is not limited to 500, I was just comparing the Watch Dogs bundle to possible upgrades. (perhaps a Mobo/cpu combo with 770?)
Old May 26, 2014, 05:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I still consider that Phenom x6 a reasonably competent gaming chip especially with games starting to trend towards needing more cores, and unless I'm mistaken that particular one is a Black Edition.

So I'd probably grab a decent cooler, overclock the CPU and spend some on a new GPU. 8GB of RAM should be enough, at least for now.
HTPC: Pentium G3420, MSI H81i, 4GB G-Skill DDR3 1333, GeForce 650, 400GB Recertified Seagate, 1TB WD Caviar Green, 750GB WD Caviar Blue 2.5", Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, Windows 7 x64, 32" Seiki LCD TV, Panasonic SA-HE75 5.1 Reciever
9x Gamer: eMachines eOne - 433 Mhz Celeron, 64 MB RAM, 8MB ATI Rage XL, 6GB HDD, Windows 98se
9x Gamer #2: 500 Mhz Pentium III, 512MB Ram, nVidia Geforce 5600, 20GB HDD, Windows ME
Old May 26, 2014, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnyc2000 View Post
Hello peeps.

It has been awhile since I considered upgrading my pc, and the last build was back in 2011 so perhaps, it is time to do so.

The last time i really looked into the spec of things was back in 2010 and I built the current tower around 2011. It's mainly been used as a image, mutimedia editing machine and its been served me fine. When I built it back then I did not go for the cream of the crop and although it is working well still, the gamer side of me always cry when I had to settle to mid graphic setting (darn those water reflections!)

SPEC:
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
AMD Phenon II X6 1090T 3200MHZ
GeForce GTX 550 Ti
8G 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W
Windows 7 64bit

With games like Watch Dogs, Evolve and Dragon Age right by the corner, I am concerned that even with a GTX 770 it will be bottlenecked by other hardware. Should I just purchase a ps4 or with the 500 dollars price tag i can get something decent.

Also, what do you do with your old tower parts? Tossing them seems a waste, I still have my GT8600 somewhere in the basement.

Thanks for your input.
I have a similar system accept my CPU is a 1100t and my card is an AMD 7770 ( which is a low budget card)but I can still play most games like dragonage this PC is my Movie and TV episode watching but I do game a fair amount on it of course I wouldn't play something like crysis with this card but I was able to play crysis on this system with my 560ti with out any real problems the only thing I had to do ( I think it was because of some driver problems with this card) was very very slight oc the card but after that no problems at all.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

well, youre system weaklink is the GPU, everything else is still capable. Can you get better performance from a full board/cpu/gpu upgrade well of course, but it would be an expensive option for the $/performance bump.

Radeon 7870/270x/7970/280x or GTX760/770 and you will be good to go, but do yourself a favor and wait a bit longer, AMD will be releasing some very soon that will be awesome, and well Nvidia always follows suit, at least this way here you can find a good deal on "old" stuff to get the most for your $, maybe even add an SSD to that system make it real snappy :)
Old May 27, 2014, 05:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If it was my $500 I would get a decent CPU heatsink (and OC the CPU), a used GTX 670/680 (or if you want AMD a used 7970 offer a great value), and a 240-256GB SSD and call it a day. That will give you massive gains in FPS and in overall snappiness of the PC.

If you don't want used then a GTX 760/770 (or if you want AMD a 280x would fit the bill), but you may have to pass on the SSD to stay in budget.

I think that would be a great investment for you and even if you have to upgrade the rest of the platform in a year or so, you can carry the GPU/heatsink/SSD forward onto the next update.
Old May 27, 2014, 05:59 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

That's a really capable system still. What resolution are you playing at?

I'd likely sink $600 MAX into it and focus on upgrading key components that will effectively enhance your overall experience. How? Look at the primary differentiators for what your PC-based life revolves around: load times and gaming.

To that end I would get:

Western Digital Black2 Dual Drive 1TB: $175
NVIDIA GTX 770: $300
Corsair HX 850 PSU: $125

Not only does this give you faster storage and a significantly better GPU but also a PSU that will stick around for years to come and is quite a bit more efficient than what you have.
Old May 27, 2014, 06:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As said above.. But I would perhaps oc the cpu for the games that are a bit more reliant on it,
drop in an SSD to compliment whatever storage you already have (assuming you still have enough)
Then either replace or double up the 550ti. (I would replace)

If it's not a huge issue, I tend to try wait till new cards come.
Usually they see a price-drop within a few months but it's a how long can you wait (there is always new stuff out there) to how soon you want the improvement.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old May 27, 2014, 06:23 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

No benefit ever came from waiting for new cards.

The conversation usually progresses along these lines:

"Wait for Maxwell, rumors on Videocardz say it will be SUPER fast!"

"Don't worry, even if it doesn't turn out the prices of current cards will be cut when it's released!"

The next generation gets released at higher price points than previous generation while current cards remain where they are, filling in gaps between the new lineup. It's all about effective inventory management; launch the new GPUs when the old ones are either already at their lowest prices or simply discontinue older SKUs rather than discount them.

The moral of this story is DO NOT wait. Buy the best you can afford now and then sit pretty for the next two to three years.