Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2014, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
That's a really capable system still. What resolution are you playing at?

I'd likely sink $600 MAX into it and focus on upgrading key components that will effectively enhance your overall experience. How? Look at the primary differentiators for what your PC-based life revolves around: load times and gaming.

To that end I would get:

Western Digital Black2 Dual Drive 1TB: $175
NVIDIA GTX 770: $300
Corsair HX 850 PSU: $125

Not only does this give you faster storage and a significantly better GPU but also a PSU that will stick around for years to come and is quite a bit more efficient than what you have.
a little bit off topic here
is that WD black2 hadual harddrive simular to the seagate hybrid drive? if so I concure on the upgrading to that trype of harddrive I own a seagate hybrid 1TB drive and it is allot faster then a standard drive it hold allot of things.
to be honest this hybrid drive I have to me anyway seems just as fast as my intel 120GB SSD which is allot smaller and when I bought it was around the same price
Old May 27, 2014, 09:42 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
a little bit off topic here
is that WD black2 hadual harddrive simular to the seagate hybrid drive? if so I concure on the upgrading to that trype of harddrive I own a seagate hybrid 1TB drive and it is allot faster then a standard drive it hold allot of things.
to be honest this hybrid drive I have to me anyway seems just as fast as my intel 120GB SSD which is allot smaller and when I bought it was around the same price
The WD actually has an integrated 120GB SSD for your OS and primary applications along with 1TB for large files.

Check it out: Western Digital BlackČ 1TB Dual Drive Hybrid Review
Old May 27, 2014, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would go with a 240GB SSD, good cooling for that cpu for overclocking, and a GTX 750 Ti
Old May 27, 2014, 12:59 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I would never spend my money on an SSD rather than a GPU. That's just me simply putting more emphasis on the GPU portion but I feel like a hybrid drive is an excellent, cost effective solution. The last thing you'd want to do is blow half your upgrade budget on a drive that offered LESS storage space than what you're currently using.
Old May 28, 2014, 03:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The moral of this story is DO NOT wait. Buy the best you can afford now and then sit pretty for the next two to three years.
Couldn't disagree more. But it all depends on each individual situation.
The way I see it is the longer you wait, the less money you spend in the long run...

eg, you wait 3 - 6 months, keep the card for 2-3 years (either buying now or in 6 months) then when looking at next upgrade wait the same. after a few upgrade cycles you will have upgraded 1 time less and saved that XXX$.

Also, so many people I talk to regret upgrading just before a new launch. I know I have in the past (i7 950 just before Sandy launched was one but I was limited with when I could buy then and it is a bit of an extreme example)

Also for me Maxwell promises to be just what I want, not looking for huge performance upgrade but the efficiency of them promises to be great.

Personal preference and how much you WANT to upgrade is so important here. As I said in my post.

To OP:
You gotta look at all the options and then make your choice.
Sky isn't wrong but he's not right for everyone either. :)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old May 28, 2014, 09:39 AM
Rookie

Thank you for all your replies, really appreciated!
some update info on my current tower:
cpu cooler : ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Its good to know that my cpu still has some life in it, that really helped my budget.

My mobo comes with a OC program that allows me to boost the cpu however it only supports up to 5 cores. It wont let me OC if i put all 6 cores in action. Odd.

As for SSD, I was debating for a 250gig unit, however I did not research enough to decide on a good reliable model every time it crosses my mind.

Btw, do you guys have any tricks on cleaning that ball cooler? I can never fully clean the copper blades because the gaps are too small and compressed air just doesn't cut it.

Thanks again.

Last edited by acnyc2000; May 28, 2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old May 29, 2014, 01:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Paint brush is good, then a blast of air to remove the loose dust.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"