Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2014, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Question Bottlenecks? Bottle to the neck

Hi,

I am not going to pretend to be the most knowledgeable poster, but seeing as this is a Canadian forum (and I am one) I expect someone will help me out.

I have built my own systems in the past. Years ago I got inspired by a Maximum PC magazine and just went from there.

My current machine is as follows:

i5 750 @ 2.67gHz (1156 socket)
8 gb RAM
EVGA P-55 FTW MB
EVGA GTX 760 2gB video card (upgrade from GTX 460 in Dec/13)
Corsair TX750w PSU
WD 1gB Caviar something, black? I forget.

Most of my components are about 4 years old, with the exception of the new videocard. I find that I am playing some online games and I get into video stalls where my FPS really drops. I have had a look around on various forums and I am suspecting that my videocard is out performing my CPU. Maybe this is just guessing on my part, I dunno. I am not a hardcore gamer. I mainly play strategy games and for what I do play this thing is generally fine, but to get into some of the more intense online MMO's I find it is starting to show it's age.

I realize I could overclock the cpu I have but I am not keen on going to get some fancy fan or starting a fire under my desk. I generally just pay for simple. I am a lemming.

I have Windows 7 installed on this thing and would prefer to keep it rather than 8. I am contemplating upgrading the motherboard and CPU to an 1150 socket and chip, but I wonder if going a piece at a time is going to just cause me grief.

Money is not my big hang up. I like value for my bucks. I am not about to drop $1000s just to have the bleeding edge of anything.

So here I suppose is my real questions, in no particular order:

Can I just flip a MB and CPU without windows getting mad at me and making a call to Microsoft begging for a new key? I am thinking not.

Am I better off with another new HD, maybe SSD, and just start over again, I mean it's been 4 years.

Is it worth considering a more powerful CPU for this board? I had a look on my local kijiji and I can pick up an i7 870 (1156) for about $100. Is it worth going that route and just hanging on?

Does someone see my various scenarios are missing a large point and need to knock me into a new direction?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks Canucks.
Old May 25, 2014, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you do think of selling Looking to buy LGA 1156 P55 chipset mobo.
Old May 25, 2014, 06:36 PM
Rookie

Will do. Never expected there to be a market for my parts. Thx
Old May 25, 2014, 06:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Since you don't OC go get an i5 4570/4590/4670/4690 depending on price and a z97 motherboard of your choice. You could opt for a K CPU, but you would be paying more for the ability to OC, which you don't seem to keen on. Reuse the rest. What is your ram speed? If you happen to be on 1333mhz you may get a decent improvement by going to 1866mhz or higher, but its not a must.

As far as windows goes I have heard of people having to call microsoft etc, but I did a MOB/CPU/ram upgrade in the fall and my copy of OEM windows 7 installed without issue.

I have since also installed an SSD and windows installed on that without issue as well. An SSD is a noticeable improvement in computer "snappiness" and does help load/boot speeds. If those things interest you then I strongly suggest you look into one as well if its in the budget.

Sell your current CPU/MOB to recover some of the cost of the upgrade.
Old May 25, 2014, 09:47 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterlooDrake View Post
1. Can I just flip a MB and CPU without windows getting mad at me and making a call to Microsoft begging for a new key? I am thinking not.

2. Am I better off with another new HD, maybe SSD, and just start over again, I mean it's been 4 years.

3. Is it worth considering a more powerful CPU for this board? I had a look on my local kijiji and I can pick up an i7 870 (1156) for about $100. Is it worth going that route and just hanging on?

4. Does someone see my various scenarios are missing a large point and need to knock me into a new direction?
Hey

To answer your questions

1. You should be able to, YMMV

2. Definitely yes, an SSD is a must, once you try it, you will never go back

3. Nope, the 750 is a beast and upgrading to an i7 will almost make no difference in games

4. You're in the right direction, that CPU is a beast, why are you upgrading? Lagging in some games or just you want to? Since you're not overclocking, my guess, you're having problems with some games? If yes, then go ahead and upgrade

Yes your parts are still wanted, actually, I was thinking of building a small rig and your combo might be the answer, pm me if you do decide to sell them with your asking price.
Old May 26, 2014, 05:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My 2 cents:

Haswell i7 4770K is a much faster processor than the i5 750 @2.7GHz. In many games you will get much higher frame rates, such as SC2. However, the i5 750 is still "good enough" to run current games.

1866MHz memory doesn't improve frame rates over 1333MHz memory one bit when you're using a graphics card. You're not saturating the memory bandwidth so why would more bandwidth increase fps?

A SSD is addictive. The speed makes everything on the computer less tedious. You will not go back once you get a SSD.

Your video card is O.K., but I think that a better video card is needed if you're using a display that's over 1080p and/or 60Hz.

If I were you, I would save up for the haswell refresh and buy the new i5 "K" part, a good z97 mobo and a single radiator all in one liquid cooling unit. The haswell chips produce very little heat. Overclocking on a decent motherboard is literally hitting a button on the mobo (mine gives me 4.0GHz on the auto OC, much higher when I tweak the settings myself).

I would then save up for a maxwell video card if the system upgrade isn't quite what you wanted. And not the 750, one of the 8xx series cards.
Old May 26, 2014, 07:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ha I actually have the same config as you so I know where you're coming from ;) Basically here's how it works.

If your games are having a FPS drop (like mine does with games like Civ 5 and Supreme Commander 2) then it's a CPU bottleneck, the GPU is perfectly fine.

Adding an SSD won't help your games run any better, but it'll load them way faster.

If you change your CPU to an i7 860 it won't benefit to much since the big difference is the Hyper Threading, a larger cache and that's it.

So your choice is a new CPU and Mobo, sadly though this means Windows will go and ask you for a new key or re-enter your old one. To be frankly honest just reformat your hard drive since it won't be in conflict with older drivers from the 1156 days and Windows won't be complaining about a new key or something.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

IMO, Grab a decent cooler that will work with your current rig and a new one (As said above a decent AIO is a good investment)

Then take a bit of time and overclock to a reasonable level, I'm not sure what you should be able to get out of that chip but 3.0 should be manageable pretty easily.. Read up on it and follow a guide, then a few stress tests and you should be sorted.. Remember your not looking to push to the max, just a nice stable 24/7 oc

Check if this resolves your problems, if not then look at new cpu, mobo ram.

The GTX760 should be fine for 1080 gaming.. Not gonna be blistering but more than sufficient.
Then I'd look at a fresh install of windows on a nice shiny new ssd, m500 are highly regarded here and should work well with the older board and possibly no trim(something that helps SSD's work better).
Fresh install can make a large difference in performance with all the crap thats probably installed or has been installed on your rig.. I re-install at least every 18 - 20 months (Used to be every 6 months before Win7)
With a new SSD it shouldn't be as painful either.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old May 26, 2014, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Online gaming is more server/ping/lag issues than actual system performance. What are the ping times to these servers you play on?
Old May 27, 2014, 06:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Upgrading from the rig you have would be money thrown out the window : you should overclock that CPU that can do easily 4.0 GHz. If you don't want a fire under your desk consider liquid cooling. I heard Corsair H70 is quite good. Buy it and go to a pro to have installed. It would be the cheapest way to upgrade your rig.