Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 20, 2014, 04:41 AM
Rookie

Question PC for 3D MODELING

I want to buy a PC for $1300 (including a 24-27" monitor) and I want to use it for:
- 3D modeling with Maya and Zbrush
- Video editing with Adobe Premiére, After Effects and Sony vegas

Here are my initial thoughts and doubts:
Intel i7 4770 / Xeon 1230v3
MB: MSI B85M E45
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
2x8Gb DDR3 1600
Kingston V300 120Gb SSD
Case Zalman T3
PSU: Corsair 550W
GeForce GTX760 OC 2GB // AMD R9 280 3GB
Monitor i've not decided yet

.....Some say AMD is a little better for Maya, but Nvidia has CUDA for After Effects....

Ideas?
Old May 20, 2014, 06:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I can't comment on which graphics card is better for your purposes, but for the rest of the build I have a couple points:

- i7 4790 is released now with higher clocks, so check pricing vs the 4770...either would be a great choice.
- Memory speed can play a role with your uses. If you can get 1866-2133mhz ram without adding much cost I would do it (1866 is often the same price as 1600 lately).
- Swap the SSD to something else. The V300 are uses slow nand now (slower than when it was initially released). Lots of good choices around, but anything crucial/intel for longevity. If you want something faster then consider a samsung pro. They may cost a bit more than the v300, but do go on sale often (especially crucial drives).
- Not familiar with the case you chose, but some good budget cases are fractal design core 1000 or 3000, or silverstone precision (a few models in that line)...They all go on sale $0 or less.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

3d modeling.. go 16GB.

As far as which card, you best looking at benches in what you use and then go for whichever has the biggest impact to your uses overall.

AAAnnnd, look at some of the AMD chips for the processor, you could be pleasantly surprised in highly threaded apps and at a lower cost than the Intels.
You need a HDD or 2.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old May 20, 2014, 01:16 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Why not Fire or Quadro card?

I do 3D modeling for architecture using 3Ds Max. The Quadro card at work compared to gaming card at home makes a difference. I'm not familiar with Maya's hardware acceleration in the viewports. Do you plan on rendering as well or just modeling?
Old May 20, 2014, 01:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

As previously mentioned Hard drives would probably suite you better than SSD.

A couple Western Digital Blues perhaps.

I'd also go with Nvidia 760 with more framebuffer instead of an overclocked edition. 4GB. (you'll be worried about texture storage and resolution over FPS for what you're doing.)

I'd personally would go with the 1230v3 for the CPU.
Something like the Asrock Z97 Pro3 for the MB so you can upgrade the CPU later.
Old May 20, 2014, 06:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Why not Fire or Quadro card?

I do 3D modeling for architecture using 3Ds Max. The Quadro card at work compared to gaming card at home makes a difference. I'm not familiar with Maya's hardware acceleration in the viewports. Do you plan on rendering as well or just modeling?
Because his budget is 1300$ and modern workstation GPUs are over 1k I believe, all the used and old ones are 150$ but still. Also do as Dzzope suggested and go with an AMD CPU instead, since Maya is multi-threaded, AMD's 8-Core CPU helps a lot for a cheaper price, of course you won't get the latest tech on it since it's an AM3+ Socket with an aging chipset. I'm not entirely sure about the video editing part though. Swap the SSD for one Black HDD (where your OS and software goes) and one Green HDD (or another Black your choice, but it's used to store your files.)

The money you save can let you to a better GPU or monitor.
Old May 21, 2014, 08:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Zbrush is 32bit software and has no advantages with more RAM, CPU, or GPU.
Maya modeling will benefit from a workstation card and more RAM.
Robust CPU is only necessarily if you're rendering production.

I'd put money into workstation graphics card first, CPU second, then RAM and the rest is gravy. I've worked with 3D files that maxed out 24gb of RAM but not sure about his needs.
Old May 23, 2014, 01:48 AM
Rookie

Thanks to all for the replies!

The SSD had to be discarded because the end-user of the PC has to install so much programs, a 120Gb SSD isn't big enough and the budget can't afford another with more GB.

If I buy 2 normal HDD, is better put it separated (one for window and another for videos and resources ).... or RAID0?

Really worth the performance having a 2º HDD?
Old May 23, 2014, 02:12 AM
Rookie

Here is my configuration with 2 HDD's

Old May 23, 2014, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I wouldn't raid it for work.. not raid 0 anyway.

Tell him to save for an SSD as an upgrade... will make a noticeable difference (in the future)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Tags
1300 , 3d modeling , maya , zbrush