Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21, 2014, 03:41 PM
MVP

Unfortunately an ASUS card, or ASUS anything is out of the question, as is AMD.
For the first little while I'll only be using a 1080p monitor, however that will change once the PC is all together and I will get something bigger and better. Ideally I'd like to be able to play games at maximum capacity for a year or more. Ambitious yes, but I'm not one to constantly upgrade my PC. I want it to still be a good system a few years from now.
If I had the capacity I'm sure I will find a way to use it, like with my last build I needed more RAM for one game, where I had multiple clients running at the same time and even at 8GB it was being pushed to memory limits.

Overclocking is something I will be doing this time. Now that it's quote unquote easier, and I have buddies that can help me with it if I need it.

For me space isn't an issue, I like leaving things open for possible upgrades and I like the look of large towers. That's why buying a big system not filled to the brim entices me, so I can add things later on as money come in.

I'm definitely going with the Phanteks Enthoo Primo case, looks the best to me and has the ability to perform well, so an mATX board in there would look rather goofy :P
Old May 22, 2014, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^
Then get a Case with lots of room!!!! You wont regret this, kinda like purchasing a PSU once in 5 yrs, instead of everything you upgrade ;)

Sounds to me as you get into it youre now looking at more of a high end Rig....awesome....and OC'ing...so, plan a Case that can fit a decent AIO (All In One) Liquid Cooler in....get away from those behemoth Air Coolers that take up so much space.
Really, the AIO's are slowly becoming more Mainstream now, no maintenance, look great, simple to install.....Swiftech H220 or Corsair H100i.

Nothing wrong with Asus Mobo's....
The "k" simply means the Chip has unlocked Multiplier so easier to OC

You really can build a nice Rig for around $2.5K!!
No need for a Sound Card

Keep it simple:
CPU and Cooler (Socket Type, you want 4 Core or 6 Core, you want Hyper Threading capable?)
Mobo(Waht Socket Type
DDR3 RAM
PSU
1 Large HD
1 SSD (For OS and some Apps)
1 or possibly 2 GPU's (ask yourself what Resolution)
Operating System - 7 or 8
Monitor, keyboard, mouse n speakers

Let me know and I can put together a parts list for you to work from, easy to get overwhelmed in this Section by so many opinions ;)

Cheers

Old May 22, 2014, 02:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^^
Then get a Case with lots of room!!!! You wont regret this, kinda like purchasing a PSU once in 5 yrs, instead of everything you upgrade ;)

Sounds to me as you get into it youre now looking at more of a high end Rig....awesome....and OC'ing...so, plan a Case that can fit a decent AIO (All In One) Liquid Cooler in....get away from those behemoth Air Coolers that take up so much space.
Really, the AIO's are slowly becoming more Mainstream now, no maintenance, look great, simple to install.....Swiftech H220 or Corsair H100i.

Nothing wrong with Asus Mobo's....
The "k" simply means the Chip has unlocked Multiplier so easier to OC

You really can build a nice Rig for around $2.5K!!
No need for a Sound Card

Keep it simple:
CPU and Cooler (Socket Type, you want 4 Core or 6 Core, you want Hyper Threading capable?)
Mobo(Waht Socket Type
DDR3 RAM
PSU
1 Large HD
1 SSD (For OS and some Apps)
1 or possibly 2 GPU's (ask yourself what Resolution)
Operating System - 7 or 8
Monitor, keyboard, mouse n speakers

Let me know and I can put together a parts list for you to work from, easy to get overwhelmed in this Section by so many opinions ;)

Cheers

I've already ordered the Enthoo Primo case and the Noctua NH-D15 cooler and they shipped this afternoon. I don't like the aesthetics of the cooler so I'll debate about changing the fans at a later date. For now I'm just going to stick with air cooling. Liquid cooling is one of those things I'll dabble with in the future! At least this case has the room for it.

I'm waiting for the 4790k to come out for the CPU, provided it's still around the same price range as current i7 chips. If it's a lot more expensive I'll just get the 4770k

The board, I won't buy ASUS, I've posted in the past how they jerked me around to the point where I just bought elsewhere. Picked up a Gigabyte board and haven't looked back. So I'll probably stick with a Z97 Gigabyte board for this new build.

GPU I'm leaning towards the 780. EVGA of course.

RAM I'm looking at the Corsair Vengeance...good reputation, but will probably need low profile RAM with the massive heatsink. 16GB kit.

SSD 250GB Samsung Evo, not a fan of Samsung either but seems like the best bang for buck choice.

Going to be using my current HX1000w PSU, same monitor (for a while) and other peripherals.

Now I have to look at what fans I want to outfit the case with. Good solid fans that move a lot of air. Perhaps the new black Noctua ones.

Last edited by Brian; May 22, 2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old May 22, 2014, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Sounds like you got her all figured out then....have fun building, be sure to post up some pics.

Cheers

Here's a pic of a build from last year I did for my Son in Law....just wanted you to see how "clean" these look with the AIO Coolers....yes low profile RAM for sure with those monster Air Coolers....this thing looked ridiculous when it had the old TRUE Air Cooler, my OC'ing temps improved big time once moving to AIO

Last edited by rjbarker; May 22, 2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old May 27, 2014, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That is an awesome case, Still agree with RJ, AIO cleans a build up nicely and gives good performance with little noise.

I would hold off the GPU untill you decide what monitor you want as that will have the biggest influence as to what to get (also the longer you wait the more likely the new goodies will be out)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"