Nice build!
Old May 13, 2014, 08:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Great build, thanks!

Told him about the SSHD and he really wants an SSD (he will use his external HDD for storage...). Added a BR reader to the build since he also want one.

Any particular reason not to get Window8.1 over Window7?

AMD 5350, BitFenix Prodigy (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker

Any suggestion for the SSD? The Samsung EVO seems like a good unit for the price.
Old May 13, 2014, 09:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Any particular reason not to get Window8.1 over Window7?

Any suggestion for the SSD? The Samsung EVO seems like a good unit for the price.
I really like the classic traditional windows interface. I would avoid the Samsung SSDs as their rma in Canada is horrific and stick with a Crucial M500 or M550. Blu Ray reader, really? What for?
Old May 14, 2014, 04:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Looks like a solid build created. The build that you have now is using a low power CPU, which is fine for general use (especially if you want to build in a small case with low airflow...small HTPC is what comes to mind for me) and will suffice in this build.

With your budget and a mATX case I would personally opt to go to something with a bit more CPU processing power (again its not a need, but an opinion). With what you want from this build I would use an AMD A8 cpu (one with a 65watts TDP...not the 100watt versions), and the motherboard of your choice...if you wanted to drop costs even more an A6/A4 would also be fine, and would be a superior CPU to the 5350. Going with something like the A8 would allow for lower cpu usage for multitasking and has an excelling built in graphics core if he ever did want to do low end gaming. Basically it is just faster all around which IMO will allow for the platform to feel faster and stay usable for a longer term. It will still fit in your budget.

Last I checked a A8-6500 was around $110.

EDIT: or as another potential you could go to socket 1150. A pentium g3220 goes on sale for $60-65 and would provide very good CPU processing power and better power usage than the A8 option at the expense of a loss of GPU capabilities (though still plently for this computers uses). It also leaves the door wide open for a down the road CPU upgrade to an i5/i7 if the computer ever needs to be used for anything more intensive.

Last edited by Bond007; May 14, 2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old May 14, 2014, 04:48 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Something else to take into account is that most AM1 boards have non-standard heatsink mounting offsets. For example the ASRock ITX board only has two diagonally opposite holes.
Old May 14, 2014, 07:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I really like the classic traditional windows interface. I would avoid the Samsung SSDs as their rma in Canada is horrific and stick with a Crucial M500 or M550.
Ok! I too do like the traditional interface I almost completely removed anything that has to do with the new start screen or hot corners and all that stuff.

Quote:
Blu Ray reader, really? What for?
Dunno...seems like because he can. I did buy one when the technology came out, but it really haven't seen much use, I'll talk to him about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Looks like a solid build created. The build that you have now is using a low power CPU, which is fine for general use (especially if you want to build in a small case with low airflow...small HTPC is what comes to mind for me) and will suffice in this build.

With your budget and a mATX case I would personally opt to go to something with a bit more CPU processing power (again its not a need, but an opinion). With what you want from this build I would use an AMD A8 cpu (one with a 65watts TDP...not the 100watt versions), and the motherboard of your choice...if you wanted to drop costs even more an A6/A4 would also be fine, and would be a superior CPU to the 5350. Going with something like the A8 would allow for lower cpu usage for multitasking and has an excelling built in graphics core if he ever did want to do low end gaming. Basically it is just faster all around which IMO will allow for the platform to feel faster and stay usable for a longer term. It will still fit in your budget.

Last I checked a A8-6500 was around $110.

EDIT: or as another potential you could go to socket 1150. A pentium g3220 goes on sale for $60-65 and would provide very good CPU processing power and better power usage than the A8 option at the expense of a loss of GPU capabilities (though still plently for this computers uses). It also leaves the door wide open for a down the road CPU upgrade to an i5/i7 if the computer ever needs to be used for anything more intensive.
I'll take a look with him about this, thanks!
Old May 14, 2014, 04:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry I haven't commented, haven't been around at all for the last few days.

I'm happy with my AM1 build, but if money really isn't that big of an issue I would personally go with an A series APU if you intend on using a standard PSU.

The beauty of AM1 is the ability to use a $25 universal power brick and throw it all into a case like the M350 so that you end up with a package that's 9" X 7.5" X 4" . I tried putting a 65W APU into the M350 W/ a pico PSU and it was failing stress testing either due to low power or from overheating in the small space. If you haven't seen it already, here's the link to the little bit I posted about it... AM1 Musings / Random benchmarks . Still waiting for my antennas from china to complete the build.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 15, 2014, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would have to say If you decided to go the AM1 route, I think you can pull in some of the price figures and even go smaller with the build. Like Mini ITX. Asus AM1I-A in something like a Cooler Master Elite 130.

I honestly don't see the point in going with SSD on such a system for what he's doing. A small system like that you leave running most of the time or let it Suspend to RAM. I would say mini should be $600 range.

Anything more than that and you'd probably want to be looking at something in the 1150 socket as prior messages have stated.
Old May 15, 2014, 02:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I had 4 different builds to propose to my brother ranging from ~550$ to 1100$ and he really wanted a pc with more power than the AM1, so he decided on a 1150 build built around an i5. He's old enough to decide for himself (older than me) and he's paying...I can do so much to influence his choice :(. I was able to not make him buy a bluray at least lol.
Old May 15, 2014, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would have done the same if it was my money (ditching bluray and putting the money towards a better CPU is a good call in my mind). An i5 is overkill for his uses, but it will last him a LONG time if that's all he ever uses it for.

Do you mind posting the components you have picked?