Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2014, 01:31 PM
Rookie

Question Desktop High Performance/Gaming Build (Help Needed)

Hi Guys Iím new here, but not new to computers.In the past I've gone with Dells, this time however I'm looking to get something with more power.

So I turn to you fine folks, who've come highly recommended from several people I know on Twitter & Facebook - I need help, I've got my own Social Media Marketing company and I need a solid desktop to take care of my needs (and a few selfish wants ^_^) .

Iím debating whether to buy the parts and build it myself or purchase one I ďCustomizeĒ on ibuypower or cyberpower PC.

Hereís a breakdown of my needs/wants

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

I need my desktop to be my main powerhouse. Iím currently running everything on my Asus G53S laptop and Iím worried if this one dies Iím dead in the water. I had a desktop before which lasted about 6 years before it gave out.
I will be gaming (yes gaming), as well as using it for my company Ė heavy multitasking, heavy photoshop work, some video editing (minimal encoding, mostly just for editing videos for youtube channels), sound editing, etcÖ This will all be done while using 2 monitors.
I want this desktop to be fast, quick, powerful, and most importantly I want it to be good for the next 3-4 years before I need to buy a new one or upgrade it.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

My budget is 1200$ CAD including shipping and taxes, I can have a little wiggle room here but not too much.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Iíll be purchasing my parts from Canada or in Canadian Currency as Iím from Quebec.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

I donít have a brand preference honestly, just not powercolor products (bad experiences). Iíve been looking at the AMD FX 8350 because of its cost and the budget Iím on.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I plan on re-using my two monitors, keyboard, mouse, speakers, NO OS though. I will need a new one, and Iím leaning towards Windows 7 64bit.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Iíve searched around, and honestly my conclusion is Iím overwhelmed, I need help choosing which parts are best, and quite frankly Iím terrified of setting up the liquid cooling myself only to screw it up and ruin what I just purchased.
I know I want a strong GPU, Iíve been looking at the R9 280 (is this even strong?) as well as a solid CPU going forward, I think Iíd rather go with a AMD FX 8350 or a i7 of some kind.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Iíve never overclocked in my life, but if I go with the 8350 ití something Iíve been told I should consider Ė Iím a little worried about doing it but Iím happy to know the feature would be available to me.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

I havenít put anything together, My desktop recently burnt out, and Iíve been doing a crap ton of research. Iíd say this question falls into 2 categories Ė
1. IF I will build it or buy it from Cyberpower or ibuypower to save myself the headache of building it.
2. What will I build? I have a general idea and having asked around I kind of know whatís out there but honestly Iím a fish out of water Ė Social Media Marketing is my forte, this is more of a growing interest.
3. Ideally I'd like to build this/ have it ready to go by June at the latest.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?

Iíd like to run Ultra-High settings if I can for most games, I obviously want the biggest bang for my buck, and I know with the next gen consoles out, Iíd like to keep up with most PC games for the next 2-3 years atleast. 1080p would be the resolution I'm going for.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?

Iíd say the specific tech Iíd like would be the following Ė
1. Strong CPU (AMD FX or i7)
2. Strong GPU (I Said I was looking at the R9 280, but Iím open to suggestions, I know I can always upgrade this later)
3. I would like a case that is easily accessible with atleast 1 USB 3.0 port. Iím not sure if this makes sense, but Iíve seen cases with ports, and all the buttons on the top of the case, this would be ideal for me.
4. Atleast 8gbs of Ram, if possible 16.

I hope you guys can help me - I know it's a tall order (i think anyway) but any guidance/recommendations/insight would be amazing

Thank you

-James
Old May 4, 2014, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is this case likely to get moved allot Like a LAN box or stay in one spot. ?
Is quit operation important to you. ?

After market cooler On GPU are quieter om AMD cards.
Sound card most Likely needed. ?
Old May 4, 2014, 01:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Is this case likely to get moved allot Like a LAN box or stay in one spot. ?
Is quit operation important to you. ?

After market cooler On GPU are quieter om AMD cards.
Sound card most Likely needed. ?
No I probably won't need a high end sound card, the sound editing I do is basic stuff.

This case if it would ever be moved, would be to clean it, it won't be leaving my house. Quit operation I'm not sure what it is, if you mean Quick I'd say yes, it's essential.
Old May 4, 2014, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

most preference with less sound of operation. ( sorry my spelling is not the best ) Quiet

EDIT: Case : http://www.ncix.com/detail/fractal-d...75050-1308.htm

NCIX is a good etailer also Look at Memory Express.

the case comes in other finish black and brushed aluminum. That's a nice price fore that case.

Last edited by ZZLEE; May 4, 2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old May 4, 2014, 06:03 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
most preference with less sound of operation. ( sorry my spelling is not the best ) Quiet

EDIT: Case : http://www.ncix.com/detail/fractal-d...75050-1308.htm

NCIX is a good etailer also Look at Memory Express.

the case comes in other finish black and brushed aluminum. That's a nice price fore that case.
That's a nifty case but I need help around my rig and if its a good idea to buy from cyberpower/ibuypower. Definitely will consider that case though
Old May 4, 2014, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

[QUOTE=J I obviously want the biggest bang for my buck, [/QUOTE]

Your biggest bang for the buck would be to get used parts. For gaming at high resolution you would clearly need Intel CPU. A Core i5, unlocked K model, with a Cooler Master 212 would be ideal, no need for liquid cooling there. Maybe you would like to get the CPU and motherboard new. You know, you can always have your system parts bought at Canada Computers and they can also have it put together for you for a small fee. SSDs work best with Intel CPUs thet are not realizing their full potential on the AMD setups. For a case I would go with a Corsair Carbide 400R or 500R.
Old May 4, 2014, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hahah ooohh boy, you're not going to have your cake and eat it too here, my friend, unless you increase that budget.

Either way I somewhat modified a previous build I've done here:

Intel Core i7-4770K, Asus GeForce GTX 770 - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

This is an all new build, if you're not considering used parts.

A little over budget, but you're going to have the core of your computer laid out very nicely. The strongest economical CPU (i7) as you've suggested paired with a 770 would make for an excellent gaming machine for a while, depending on what you play. 2-3 years on high-ultra settings I'm not sure, that depends on what you play, now and in the future. Also, this probably WILL NOT be enough power for high gaming settings on multi-monitor. You should limit yourself to one monitor. You just don't have enough of a budget for more. I've noticed your tendency to go AMD, but I chose an Intel/Nvidia solution for a few reasons, namely Intel is generally regarded as slightly better for gaming, but definitely better for media processing, particularly when you overclock, which I suggest you try, or get a friend to do for you. The extra power would be very nice indeed. I'm assuming that some of your video editing would include the Adobe suite of applications, and the mercury engine uses CUDA, which can be an advantage to your media processing as well. Either way, if you still feel like heading AMD for the GPU, you're welcome to edit the build yourself too. Power supply I've set up is mint, high quality stuff for a single high-powered GPU setup. If you're considering multi-GPU in the future, we might want to bump this up!

Now for the downside, I've only included 8 gigs of RAM. You can add more whenever you have spare cash, or you feel like 8 gigs isn't enough. Again, largely dependent on how heavy you game and process media.

Also not included is an SSD or any sort, instead just a 7200 RPM 2 TB drive. In the future you could add an SSD for a significant I/O speed increase, leaving the 2 TB drive solely for storage purposes. However really the only noticeable difference would be loading times, and virtual memory access if you do run short on RAM.

Also, no optical drive or OS included here.

Aannnndddd I didn't include a case yet either. This is a highly subjective field, as cases look good to some, but not to others. So you will already have to add another bit of cash to this build.

ALSO... taxes not included heh.

There is some flexibility though, to drop the CPU to a (i5) 4670k - a non-hyperthreaded CPU, which would save you ~$90 at the cost of some speed which in my opinion, is not significant and would be a worthwhile downgrade if you can wait an extra few seconds to finish encoding videos. Also you could potentially drop to a 760 instead of a 770 for additional savings, and upgrade in the closer future. You'll be able to sell a 760 in the future as well, for some cost recovery. a '960' in 2 years or so would probably more more powerful then a 770.

Anyhow, let us hear your thoughts on a build like this, or as posted above, used parts.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At 1200$ mark you want a lot from that PC but I am going to try to suggest a build. Given the fact you will work with Photoshop and editing movies, even if short ones, you will need an Intel CPU. AMD is not that good at Photoshop. You will also want this build to last and to be a snappy power house.
I think is best to order the parts and build it yourself, if you are not sure, you could just go to a local computer shop and have it assembled there for a fee, the savings you will get by ordering the parts online will pay for that. Will take care of the professional part first, graphics card can be added later if any money left.
Newegg.ca prices :

Core i5 4670k 260$
ASUS Z87-A 155$
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 92$
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 29$
Corsair Carbide Series 400R 100$
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit 150$

===============total so far=============== 786$
SSD 240GB Crucial M500 140$
SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W 80Plus Gold PSU 115$
===============total====================== 1040$

This is before taxes and shipping which will make around 1200$. At this point we reached the 1200$ envelope, so no money left for a graphics card. So you might want to consider a used one for the moment and gaming either at some lowered resolution or less details. GTX 570 is going for 120-140$ used on kijiji.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well it's not to say AMD is garbage for image manipulation, it's just not as fast at it as an Intel chip (usually, single threaded issues with Adobe.)

the Anandtech CPU bench comparison is here: AnandTech | Bench - CPU

To that note, I was thinking about it last night, and I quickly wanted to draw up a more cost-conscious AMD based build, as seen here: AMD FX-8350, MSI Radeon R9 280X - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

it's not going to be as CPU snappy as the Intel build again given the reduced single threaded performace, but I don't imagine you would consider the machine 'slow' either. Also, as compared to my last post, this build does contain 16 gigs of RAM and a 770 equivalent 280x GPU, but on sale for a good $70 less. A more mediocre, but perfectly fine in my opinion PSU was also downgraded to save some dollars. Again, not included is a case, OS or SSD. still a 2 TB mechanical HDD. Slower, yes. but you'll need the space though, a 240 gig SSD isn't going to hold you off for video editing.

So far, $960 before taxes, which should leave a little leg room for your case and any upgrades you may want to consider, but I think this machine would make you very happy in the long run, at a lower cost then previously mentioned.

Last edited by LarkStarr; May 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM.