Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2014, 04:56 PM
Rookie

Default How can I tell if a video card is strong enough ?

I build computers for a hobby, I really like the assembly, the "jig saw" aspect of it, but I'm not interested in USING them really, at all...

The computers the I can get rid of when I'm done building are "gamer" style computers, but they seem to be mostly based around the video card...

So how, with the hundreds of choices, do I know that a video card will be "good enough" ?

I *think* I've finally figured out AMD's naming convention, and 7790's aren't as good as 7850's...right ?

Any thoughts ?
Old April 16, 2014, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there is reviews section off this web page that talks allot about various cards and components. Good reading.
Old April 16, 2014, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The HD7770 is about the minimum you would want to use in anything for gaming. In new games it would get you mixed mid level graphics settings (med-high) at 1080p. Its getting harder to find, but has been basically rebranded as the r7 250x with AMD's new naming scheme. You can see in the above chart how much faster higher end cards are. For quality gaming at 1080p a nvidia gtx 760 is probably a good spot to aim. Higher end cards than that will start costing you more $ per fps.
Old April 17, 2014, 05:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Basically the higher the number in the name the better the video card is (in theory) AMD has changed it's name though so it's a little bit more complicated, it's still the same higher = better but they're two words to follow first set being R9, R7 and R5 second one being 290x, 290,280x,280 etc... If you wish to game on a single 1080p monitor at the highest details, the NVIDIA side the 770 should do the trick for AMD side however I am not so sure.
Old April 17, 2014, 06:22 AM
Rookie

Thanks very much for the info !

Where is that comparative chart from ?

Reviews are somewhat interesting, but they're often too specific to the particular card being reviewed. Something like that comparison chart is more appropriate to my particular situation. Seeing how different cards compare to one another is very useful.

The performance/dollar is the most important aspect of choosing cards *for me*. Since I don't actually play any games myself, I just need the tools to choose decent cards that would suit *most* peoples situations who would be interested in the stuff I build...

I also pride myself on building computers that work well, is there any reliability/compatibility comparisons readily available ?

For instance, I've found, through my own personal experience, AMD video cards *seem* to be better at performing well with all types of displays. They provide a setting to change the color space output to match the capabilities of the display. What this has meant is that I can use an AMD card, through HDMI connection, to ANY LCD display, be it monitor or television, and the color space can be changed to match the panel's capabilities. I can't do this with Nvidia, which means, *some* Nvidia cards, connected to *some* panels, won't display "clean" text. I've encountered tv panels that will ONLY accept a 4:4:2 pixel structure and display it properly, ie. pixel for pixel mapping to prevent "bleed" at the edges of pixels which show up in text which "shimmers"...

Is this kind of knowledge charted/tested/noted at all ?
Old April 17, 2014, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The chart was from techpowerup.com. They have one in the performance summary page in every GPU review. They also do charts with performance/$ and performance/watt.
Old April 17, 2014, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was actually gaming with my AMD system that has a 7770HD card that was hooked up to my 27"LCD and it can handle any of the games I played which recently has been dragonage2 and Dragonage origins, Oblivion, firefall, planetside2 there are a few others games that it handles fine. the funny thing about games is that some games like D3 and WOW are allot more CPU intensive , most people that play games don't play the really graphic intensive games that are out there
Old April 17, 2014, 12:11 PM
Rookie

Theres also a HUGE difference between playing and maxing out a game. If you don't mind medium graphic settings than you have a lot more choices.
Old May 5, 2014, 07:34 PM
Rookie

If you already have one, just do your everyday tasks - say for a month. If you noticed no unease (lag, low framerate, screen tearing) then you're fine.
If not, then maybe you should upgrade.