Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2014, 11:05 PM
Top Prospect

Default need to downsize the rig but still maintain performance

i'm just out there fishing right now and i'm trying to downsize my gaming rig from an odsidian full size to something alot smaller that will still either crossfire or sli with minimal airflow. i guess you could say i'm looking for something a little bit bigger then a semi high end steambox and was wondering if building something myself is gonna lower the price. I have also been looking at some laptops but currently i dont want to spend in the 2 grand plus department for a laptop that i doubt would run my my benq 120hz monitor at its native beauty

if anyone has an idea and or can throw a parts list together that would be ******* awsome.

once again thats to all you guys at hardwarecanucks for always answering my question and giving me sound advice every time.

i guess i should also ad i'm the ballpark of 2000$ max but woud be more then happy to spend a little less on some used parts and such. also i have a 690 i can buy of my brother but am wondering what in gods name small form would fit ths card, or if i'm going to half to bit the buller and go with dual 780's or a 780ti.
Old April 4, 2014, 01:18 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you already own a 690...why bother with two cards? There are plenty of mITX cases that handle a 11 inch / 280mm video card (just make sure its a 'stock' 690...otherwise measure it!).

Cooler Master: Elite 130
BitFenix.com » Products » Chassis » Prodigy
Obsidian Series? 250D Mini ITX PC Case
Fractal Design

Just to name a few.

Honestly if you want a small footprint rig that is big on performance...its hard to beat mITX. ;)
4670K+8(or16GB) of RAM+asus z87i-Delux+SSD+a couple hdds +120mm AIO +a 160mm or shorter PSU == damn fine rig

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 4, 2014, 08:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Prodigy has some of the best airflow. As for GPU I would stick with a single GPU, the GTX780Ti, just because I would not want to deal with the issues surrounding the SLI profiles in games.
Old April 4, 2014, 09:06 AM
Allstar

Why not a mITX with 16GB of RAM in a Corsair 250D?
Old April 4, 2014, 09:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Gamer Jack diagnosed with cancer, builds tiny Titan Black SLi system | KitGuru to give an idea of what can fit in a smaller space :)
Old April 4, 2014, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1) Stick with a single GPU; or if you really insist, go with a dual GPU card like the 690, etc.
2) Do you want to use air or water cooling for the CPU? Do you want to water cool the GPU?
3) How many HDD/SSD do you plan to use?
4) Skip the optical drive unless you use a ton of CDs... you can always buy a USB optical drive for when you need one.
5) Will you need/want any other PCIe based cards? (RAID, WiFi, sound card, etc)
6) Try to buy a GPU shorter than 160mm as 160mm is usually going to be a struggle to fit.
6) This is what I made for a smaller build with power BitFenix Prodigy M (I think of it as mid sized personally) Prodigy M & GTX780 Classified single slot

I have seen a ton of great options starting to pop up for enthusiast mITX builds, so if you only need one PCIe card, that really opens up small form factor!
Old April 4, 2014, 09:22 AM
Rookie

How about a Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E or their similar PS07 case? You can't get much smaller and still have MicroATX support for SLI and Crossfire. Temperatures can be a bit high for top GPU, so many in the owner's forum recommend water cooling the GPUs. If you only have one graphics card cooling is great and you have room for a sound card. Some feel the front 180 mm fan on the TJ08-E (dual 120 mm fans in the PS07) is a bit loud, but mine is controlled by the motherboard and it's fine for me. Check it out.
Old April 11, 2014, 01:22 AM
Rookie

I am running a mITX build with the following love it only thing I would have changed was waiting for the 780TI but otherwise I feel its quite solid...

EVGA Hadron Air w/500w Gold PSU
Asus Maximus VI Impact
Asus GTX 780 referance
16gh Corsair Dominator Platinum oc'd to 2400mhz
i7-4770k oc'd to 4.5ghz
250gb Samsung Evo

All within a 12.1" x 12" x 6.5" case....
Old May 5, 2014, 08:35 PM
Top Prospect

I can second the 250D. It's a great small case easily capable of SLI with decent airflow (Although I'd personally WC them).