Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2014, 08:15 AM
Allstar

Default Time to upgrade! Got questions!

Been a while i've been here!

I'm starting to feel the need to upgrade my good friend Mr. Gaming PC.

In a more specific way, I want to change my Intel e8500 to a better CPU/Motherboard/RAM combo. Not overclocking for now.

My current VGA is the ATI 6850, which i am not planning to change OR up overclock.

It is used mostly for gaming, streaming and a little video editing/encoding.

But i've been out of the game for a while, I barely know what are the actual standards, how the market is, if certain products are waaay overpriced or overerrated, if something very new is coming and might affect prices. There is no hurry for my purchase, just starting to scout a little bit at prices and products and trying to find the best thing. I'm not planning to go for high end products neither, because it'll bottleneck my video card and my encoding tasks aren't heavy, neither do I care that much for AMD or Intel.

I was thinking maybe for a 200/250$ CPU, 125$ mobo, 80$ for 8gb RAM.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Insults?

Old January 22, 2014, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

i5 4670k (if you want the option to OC at some point), or i5 4570 if you don't care about overclocking and want to save a few $.

Z87 motherboard of your choice that fits your budget (H87 will be fine if you don't want to OC)

Any 1600mhz or higher 2x4gb memory kit will do.
Old January 22, 2014, 11:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just FYI the ASUS H87-PLUS allows overclocking, you may need the newest bios.

Great board for during the holidays I found for $100-105.

Also for your current rig, did you put in a SSD yet, and memory 6-8Gig at least should keep you going. I have a similar rig, and I want to wait until skylake :)
Old January 22, 2014, 12:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

everyone is respecting your gpu choice and offering great choices for cpu/mobo...but i can't help but say...that gpu should go...its the #1 thing responsible for good gaming and graphics....i agree you should upgrade the other stuff...but sell them even cheeap for $150 bucks....and put that into fiding a new gpu im sure youcould find a 560ti or a 670 for around the 150-200 mark...and that will put you in a better place the tired 6850 has you
Old January 22, 2014, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_brent View Post
everyone is respecting your gpu choice and offering great choices for cpu/mobo...but i can't help but say...that gpu should go...its the #1 thing responsible for good gaming and graphics....i agree you should upgrade the other stuff...but sell them even cheeap for $150 bucks....and put that into fiding a new gpu im sure youcould find a 560ti or a 670 for around the 150-200 mark...and that will put you in a better place the tired 6850 has you
Yes and no. The gpu is definetly limiting at times, but the CPU would be as well. I had an x3 710 that would be ball park around the e8500 (prob a bit behind) and it limited my gtx 460 (slower than a hd 6850) in many games. Upgrading to the 3570k made for much smoother gaming without so many fps drops. Max fps went up a bit, but I am sure avg fps went up a lot. I think the CPU/ motherboard/ ram upgrade is a better idea at this point, and go for the graphics card next when funds permit.
Old January 22, 2014, 03:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Yes and no. The gpu is definetly limiting at times, but the CPU would be as well. I had an x3 710 that would be ball park around the e8500 (prob a bit behind) and it limited my gtx 460 (slower than a hd 6850) in many games. Upgrading to the 3570k made for much smoother gaming without so many fps drops. Max fps went up a bit, but I am sure avg fps went up a lot. I think the CPU/ motherboard/ ram upgrade is a better idea at this point, and go for the graphics card next when funds permit.

Agreed...If you re-read my post I mentioned selling his old kit even for 150 bucks if he could...and put that towards his gpu purchase...perhaps I'd even skimp a bit on the cpu/mobo to enhance this purchase...I also agree ihis cpu setup is aging...

what does op have currently for ram?
Old January 23, 2014, 07:20 AM
Allstar

Thanks! Seems like the i5 4670k is the way to go then, as there is no objection to it. Fits my price range too. I'll start to keep an eye on prices and sales and wait for the good moment!

To answer some questions,
Yes, I do have my OS and basic programs (not games) installed on a SSD

Maverick : I did mention I did not plan to change or overclock my GPU. If you rather have explanations, here you go :
While I surely understand that my gpu needs an upgrade too, there is something called budget. I have to make choices, and in my case what needs upgrade THE MOST is certainly my cpu/ram/mobo. It also allows me to get a better GPU anytime i'd want later, a couple of months or years later. I don't play FPSes at intense ultra high graphics and i don't mind it at all. I want better performance in general. Also, I did not mention i'll be selling the other parts, I won't sell them because i'm giving them to a close friend. I don't think "sell this and that" can be decided and included into the price range of what I want to buy.

My goal here is to optimize general performance, not only ingame graphic performance.

Old January 23, 2014, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_brent View Post
Agreed...If you re-read my post I mentioned selling his old kit even for 150 bucks if he could...and put that towards his gpu purchase...perhaps I'd even skimp a bit on the cpu/mobo to enhance this purchase...I also agree ihis cpu setup is aging...

what does op have currently for ram?
Read to fast and missed the sell it part. Would probably only get $100 for his CPU/MOB/Ram anyway (unless he high a high end MOB). Moot point now though, since he is not selling.
Old January 23, 2014, 08:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Thanks! Seems like the i5 4670k is the way to go then, as there is no objection to it. Fits my price range too. I'll start to keep an eye on prices and sales and wait for the good moment!

To answer some questions,
Yes, I do have my OS and basic programs (not games) installed on a SSD

Maverick : I did mention I did not plan to change or overclock my GPU. If you rather have explanations, here you go :
While I surely understand that my gpu needs an upgrade too, there is something called budget. I have to make choices, and in my case what needs upgrade THE MOST is certainly my cpu/ram/mobo. It also allows me to get a better GPU anytime i'd want later, a couple of months or years later. I don't play FPSes at intense ultra high graphics and i don't mind it at all. I want better performance in general. Also, I did not mention i'll be selling the other parts, I won't sell them because i'm giving them to a close friend. I don't think "sell this and that" can be decided and included into the price range of what I want to buy.

My goal here is to optimize general performance, not only ingame graphic performance.
Understood. Was just giving my opinion is all. Personally all my new builds are partially funded by the sale of my used gear...a continuous cycle for me. Also great job by giving your old gear to a friend. Thats very generous of you. I typically give away my old cases but not usually my gear.

cheers and send us some pictures when you get your new kit up and running!
Old January 23, 2014, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

OP is right in this particular case, the 6850 isn't a TERRIBLE card, but putting in anything bigger with a Wolfie is just going to be suffocating it.

4670k is the solid CPU choice, 8 gigs of whatever is on sale ram and an Asus H87 solution in your price range if you're not overclocking.