Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2014, 08:53 AM
Rookie

Default Help with mid-level gaming build

Hi All,

Would appreciate some input from more experienced gaming builders around here. Someone is selling an Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z mobo online for $130. I was thinking of adding:

AMD FX-8320 - $149 on sale
8GB CL9 1600 Ram - ~$80-90

This gives me some good overclocking options later on. What I need the most help with is the video card. I would like to spend around $200-250 max. I"m not opposed to waiting and buying used. I can't figure out is what is sensible and gives me a bit of flexibility for future gaming. For now, I want to be able to play DCS and it's modules at high at 1080p. Perhaps BF4 at medium-high as well with 40-60fps.

I believe that a GTX660 2GB would be enough for what i need, but I know nothing about AMD models. Is there an equivalent/better/better value card from AMD I can look for? Or is the 660GTX not a good idea? Would buying a card and adding a second later in sli/crossfire be a good idea?

I really don't know much about gpus other than what I can look up re: benchmarks. I know benchmarks don't tell the whole store though, when you consider things like power/noise/heat and proprietary things like mantle and physx support, etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old January 11, 2014, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What is the rest of your system that you will be adding this to (hard drive/power supply/current ram, cpu, motherboard)?

If it is a dedicated gaming computer I would personally opt for a z87 motherboard, i5, and 2x4gb ram as it can offer potentially better FPS, but also consumes quite a bit less power. If you do other tasks that consistently use the extra cores, then the FX CPU may be a good choice.

If you are set on AMD, then your choices look solid. Generally AMD graphics cards are overpriced right now because of the mining craze (so for gaming Nvidia is a bit better bang for buck at the moment). A gtx 660 would be a great mid range card, but if you don't mind spending a bit more you can try for a used gtx 670 or 760 (a fairly good improvement over the 660).
Old January 11, 2014, 11:58 AM
Rookie

Well, like I said there is a Formula-Z motherboard for sale for $130 so that's the main reason Im looking at AMD. I'm not particularily worried about power. I don't have the time to game that much (maybe once/twice per week for a few hours). It certainly won't be running 24/7. Another reason was cost. This is a full build all the way to case and PSU, so the more I save on the core components, the more I save in order to buy a decent joystick/throttle as well. The i5/mobo combos I was pricing ran me anywhere from $350 to $400. Other than gaming it would just be used for browsing. I thought that perhaps playing cpu intensive games like DCS and ARMA would end up with similar performance between the 8320 and an i5.

I've also read about the demand for AMD cards, but I thought it mostly applied to the new R series cards. I was hoping to get some real world advice on whether there is a 7000 series card that might get me the performance of a 660/670 and I can look for deals/used cards at a cheaper price.
Old January 11, 2014, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

its a pretty good ROG board I like it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 11, 2014, 07:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kburn99 View Post
I've also read about the demand for AMD cards, but I thought it mostly applied to the new R series cards. I was hoping to get some real world advice on whether there is a 7000 series card that might get me the performance of a 660/670 and I can look for deals/used cards at a cheaper price.
If you can find a deal on a used amd 7950, that would give you about 660ti/760 performance (so better than 660). But the 7950/70's were used a lot for mining before the R9 cards came along, so be wary buying one used as it may have been running 24/7.

If you look at new, the 660 and the R9 270 exchange blows in some games. But the 660 beats it in some games, and comes close to the R9 270X in others. So either get the 660 (good deal on an Asus at NCIX right now), or spend a little extra and get an R9 270X.