Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2014, 10:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default New build for wedding gift

So a good friend of mine is getting hitched and the lucky couple are both avid gamers so a couple guys and I thought we'd pitch in to build them a new rig to play BF4 on.

Budget: $2000-2200 including taxes
Time: within the next month or so
Use: games, games, and more games. Rome II, Shogun 2, BF4, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, etc., plus ability to play new releases for the next couple of years at high settings.
Component sources: NCIX, Memory Express (all local with in-store pickups)

CPU: i7-4770K (donated by another friend, free-of-charge)
Cooler: NH-D14 (bought)
Mobo: undecided, either Sabertooth Z87 or Maximus VI Formula (we want the armor look but unsure of which one to get)
GPU: Asus GTX 780 OC DCII (back ordered)
RAM: Ripjaws X 8GB (2X4)
Soundcard: Xonar DX (being donated by me)
Case: Arc Midi R4
PSU: Any 750W 80+ Gold (suggestions, pls)
SSD: Crucial M500 240GB
HDD: Caviar Green 3TB

Our biggest decision that's left is the mobo. We know he and his wife won't be overclocking by much (for sure to 4.6GHz on STOCK voltage, but no more). They don't need wifi or bluetooth, nor will they be overclocking memory. They don't want to mess with liquid cooling, either. And since I'm donating a Xonar DX, they won't be missing the Formula's audio solution.

Essentially, we are under the impression that the Z87 Sabertooth, with its 5-yr warranty, is built with slightly more reliable components than the Maximus VI Formula. The Sabertooth can still handle OC to 4.6GHz with ease, but obviously it's not ROG board so can't go too crazy (not that they'd want to). But so long as wifi/bluetooth/audio solution aren't even needed, the Maximus VI Formula doesn't really offer them anything more than the Sabertooth (extra SATA ports aren't needed, either).

Or, does the Maximus VI Formula offer the same reliability/performance as the Z87 Sabertooth does?

Thanks!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock

Last edited by sakage.shinga; January 11, 2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old January 11, 2014, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Being the owner of two different generations of Sabertooth already ( 990FX and X58 ), I would say go Sabertooth, they were very reliable, both of them. Sure the look is bland, but you won`t expose it into an open air system so it does not really matter.

But that one is a single system so how is the couple going to play? By taking turns? I would suggest a highly clocked Haswell Core i3 and a mid end graphics card as a second system, if needed.

Last edited by MARSTG; January 11, 2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old January 11, 2014, 11:09 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Go for the Sabertooth or Gryphon. Gryphon lets you drop to a mATX case, but you have to buy the Armor Kit seperately. As for the PSU, I'd get Seasonic X-series or Platinum for the 7 year warranty.
Old January 11, 2014, 12:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks! Forgot about Seasonic completely. Might have gone with this myself for my new build if I hadn't forgotten...darn...

Still undecided about the mobo. I don't think we're going to go with mATX since the groom really likes the look of the R4. I will go Sabertooth if it basically holds an edge (in barely) in terms of reliability over the Maximus VI Formula, which seems to me so far is just bells & whistles (of course, very useful for gamers/overclockers) on top of a Sabertooth board. Is this correct assumption?
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old January 11, 2014, 01:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The motherboard isn't going to be a real decider of how high you can overclock with Haswell chips. The VRM is on the chip now. The general consensus seems to be it's a lottery based on the actual chip that determines how fast it can go.
This means that the maximus 6 formula is pure overkill. The waterblock is aluminum and doesn't really do anything for your clocks. The maximus 6 does have premium audio, but does your buddy really own a 500 dollar pair of headphones that can utilize this feature? And you're even using an add in soundcard, so this makes the maximus kinda useless.

I have overclocked on a 990FX mobo that just..... crushed...killed....destroyed my clocks on a low quality 770G motherboard. It used to be really true that an overclocking mobo made a world of difference, and still does for many platforms.

4.6 GHz on stock voltage on a 4770K? That's a huge overclock (3.5 is the stock). I don't think this is possible to have a stable 4770K @ 4.6GHz and at stock voltage. Go google it. All the 4.6+ clocks seem to be over 1.20V for the vcore, which kinda a safe red mark in the sand.

So it's really on how it looks. The sabertooth and the ROG series will perform probably exactly the same with the setup you have. Make sure they both have the clearance to support your CPU cooler.

Personally I would go with the GD65 from msi (cuz it's on sale locally). The "thermal armor" is just a gimmick. Long life chokes and capacitors are not gimmicks, and both gigabyte and msi have mobos with similar components. What feature I really like is the MSI overclock genie which works better than the ASUS equivalent. If you don't want to push voltage and don't have time to tune the system the OC genie does it in a few seconds. It gave me a 4Ghz OC with the normal mode (I didn't try in uber mode, I just made my own custom config).

Here is a good review for the gd65: Overclock3D :: Review :: MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming Review :: Test Setup and Overclocking

They also got a 4GHz genie clock out of the box.

A seasonic PSU would be a great choice. Corsair/Silverstone are also good brands from my experience (and they use seasonic for some models lol).
Old January 11, 2014, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As is the xfx... it's seasonic built psu.

+1 on the cpu overclock... you should be able to make 4.6 but not at stock voltage

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"