Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2014, 01:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Look at fractal for silent case with near same looks... might be able to save some there too.

Considering APU's REALLY like fast ram.. grab 2400Mhz (Gskill ares 2400 @$77 vs the cheapest there (crucial 1600) @$65..) $12 difference from cheapest to the cheapest 2400mhz, that is a very small price to pay for a decent speed boost.
Choose Memory - PCPartPicker

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 6, 2014, 03:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you are going the APU route you need good ram. Dual channel is a must and you will want faster ram...I would say 1866mhz min, but if you can find some even faster for a relatively small price increase then do it. The graphics portion of the APU is affected a lot by ram.
Old January 6, 2014, 04:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'd be jumping on the dual memory too and I'm happy to see you reading reviews I think it's important that people do that. Don't forget user reviews too. I own two of the v300's and haven't noticed anything unusual but you are welcome to purchase whatever you choose just make sure you get product replacement if the manufacturer doesn't have decent RMA support. These drives can fail and when they do it's expensive. As for higher rated ram I'll leave that up to you...

I want you to be aware that the APU is pretty decent but it's no Nvidia 770.

PM me if you follow through and I'll box up this APU for you. (its down in the basement of doom somewhere. :P)
I accept paypal gift and EMT.
I ship fedex and Canada post (cheaper & insured)

PS if you have any issues with this cpu within a week of building the computer you can send it back for a refund. Just be careful please.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 6, 2014, 10:46 AM
Rookie

Alright you guys have convinced me. I didn't think about the APU needing fast main memory since it doesn't have its' own. dARqSyDE made a good point, I can upgrade with 2x8GB later if I want more. 24GB should be plenty.

It looks like the motherboard only supports up to DDR3-2133 so getting ram better than that seems pointless. Dzzope, thank you for pointing out pcpartpicker.com, this should help a lot! I found some decent G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) for $85.

Hmm the Arc Midi R2 looks nice at $100. It looks like it's been below $70 recently, I wonder if I can find it on sale somewhere.

clshades, Yes I understand I won't be running Crysis 3 above the lowest possible settings above 25fps. :) Would you be willing to hold it for up to a week for me? I'll definitely PM you before then if that's ok. I like to contemplate my purchases for a few days before diving in headfirst. (And then there's rent and bills... god being an adult sucks.)
Old January 8, 2014, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

no rush man. I've been in my basement 2ce since before xmas just to make sure everything was still there. :P
2 minutes total in the past 3 weeks heh.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 8, 2014, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know if I am too late at the party, is just that you have a lot of demands from that system and for the budget tou should consider some serious compromises. Your best bet would be to find a used core i7 setup on lga1366 and overclock it or a more modern i5 system. One good idea would also be a used Dell Precision 690 workstation with dual quad core xeons, you should find one pretty on the cheap in the US.
Old January 11, 2014, 08:49 PM
Rookie

MARSTG: No, you're not too late, I haven't bought anything yet. I know I have a large demand for my budget, which is why I feel APU is a good choice. And as a lion that tastes man flesh will forever be a man-eater, I'll never be able to purchase a pre-built desktop computer ever again since I've built my own from parts. I've tasted the blood, man.

clshades: Thanks for waiting. Unfortunately, my car broke down and poof went all my money (well, what little I had) so this project will be put off for the foreseeable future. If your offer still stands within the next few months I'd be thrilled to purchase from you, but there's no need to hold it on my account if you find another buyer. :)

Thanks for all your advice, guys!
Old January 11, 2014, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

sorry to hear about your car. Just be happy you had the money on hand to deal with it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 11, 2014, 10:18 PM
Rookie

Agreed. :)