Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Need suggestions on new build (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/64897-need-suggestions-new-build.html)

sakage.shinga January 3, 2014 10:20 PM

Need suggestions on new build
 
Hi guys,

I'm putting a new gaming PC together with a budget of $2000-2400 (preferably the former). I've got the following parts picked out but I'm in no way set in stone since I've been out of touch with the PC world for a while (last upgrade was back in 2010). I'd appreciate suggestions for cheaper yet similarly powerful alternatives. Also I'm not 100% convinced that I'll need a SSD.

I will play a LOT of games, mostly space-sims, RTS, and RPGs. Currently I'm planning to install OS plus vital programs (e.g. Photoshop) on the SSD, with any room left over being left for Steam. But obviously I will need a secondary drive to hold the rest of the games plus media.

Anyway, please take a look at my potential spec and let me know if it's complete overkill or overspend.

CPU: Core i7-4770K Unlocked
Mobo: Asus Z87-PRO
Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (x2)
Cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100I
PSU: XFX Pro 850W Black Edition
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB
SSD: ADATA SX900 256GB SSD SATA3
Secondary Gaming/Media Storage: WD Caviar Black 4TB
OS: I already have Win 7 64bit waiting at home.
Case: I need a case suggestion, I'd like it to have FRONT/TOP/REAR fans already included, preferably with blue LEDs...haha

I'd really appreciate any and all feedback. If SSD is a must, then I'm going to go ahead and buy the drive by itself first since it is over $100 off at the moment at NCIX.

Thanks so much!!!

moocow January 3, 2014 10:37 PM

How much PS do you actually do? If it's for casual work, I think I5 would be good enough. The GPU you may be able to get from BST since I saw someone selling them. I would do a 2x256GB SSD to split the programs and Steam library plus the WD 4GB or reuse what you already have. Just to be clear, are you getting 16GB (2x8GB) or 8GB (2x4GB) of RAM?

sakage.shinga January 3, 2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moocow (Post 751169)
How much PS do you actually do? If it's for casual work, I think I5 would be good enough. The GPU you may be able to get from BST since I saw someone selling them. I would do a 2x256GB SSD to split the programs and Steam library plus the WD 4GB or reuse what you already have. Just to be clear, are you getting 16GB (2x8GB) or 8GB (2x4GB) of RAM?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm planning on 16GB (2x8GB), but I'm open to 8GB (2x4GB) if you think 16 is overkill. While on the matter of memory, would you suggest 2x8GB or 4x4GB? I'm guess the former since it already gives me dual channel...

As for the CPU, I guess getting the i5-750 put me off the i5 family a bit since it was the first component to bottleneck my gaming in recent years...I do use photoshop for a lot of stitching work for my panorama photos...

SugarJ January 3, 2014 10:40 PM

A SSD is an absolute must in any mid to high end build now.

The rest of the parts look good, a couple of cost saving options for you. I'm not sure about Photoshop, but most games aren't using more than 4 threads. A 4570K is plenty for current gen games. And an 850W PSU is overkill for a single GPU system. 650W is fine.

sakage.shinga January 3, 2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 751171)
A SSD is an absolute must in any mid to high end build now.

The rest of the parts look good, a couple of cost saving options for you. I'm not sure about Photoshop, but most games aren't using more than 4 threads. A 4570K is plenty for current gen games. And an 850W PSU is overkill for a single GPU system. 650W is fine.

Thanks for the tip. I'm almost 100% certain that I won't be wanting to mess with crossfire or SLI.

Dzzope January 3, 2014 10:48 PM

NZXT 820 for the case?

Looks expensive for what you have TBH.. I would expect a 780ti in there

Course you can save some but this is what I would have personally for the budget... But really, if your at 1080 then an i5, 8GB with a 770 or similar will be plenty and of course you can save on the case, mobo, GPU etc..

Intel Core i7-4770K, Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti, NZXT Phantom 820 (White) - System Build - PCPartPicker

Have you over clocked the current rig? it looks like it should still pump out mid-high settings alright in most titles.

sakage.shinga January 3, 2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moocow (Post 751169)
I would do a 2x256GB SSD to split the programs and Steam library

I just went through my C:/ drive and figured that OS + programs is about 80GB, which is totally fine if I get even just one 256GB SSD. However, my steam library at the moment is easily 400GB. I can definitely uninstall quite a few games that I don't even play regularly, but I'm guessing it'll still go over 256GB? So if I do get two SSDs, can I split my Steam library onto two separate drives?

EDIT: for that matter, why don't I just get a single 512GB SSD of the same brand? :D

sakage.shinga January 3, 2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 751174)
NZXT 820 for the case?

Looks expensive for what you have TBH.. I would expect a 780ti in there

Course you can save some but this is what I would have personally for the budget... But really, if your at 1080 then an i5, 8GB with a 770 or similar will be plenty and of course you can save on the case, mobo, GPU etc..

Intel Core i7-4770K, Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti, NZXT Phantom 820 (White) - System Build - PCPartPicker

Have you over clocked the current rig? it looks like it should still pump out mid-high settings alright in most titles.

Thanks for the reply. I play games at 1920x1200, but yes, for most games it's still decent, but for RTS and space sims the CPU is starting to bottleneck to the point of being quite annoying. That is not the reason that I'm upgrading though, TBH, since I can live with what I have (and was originally planning to wait another year for the build).

Basically I plan on using my current rig as a HTPC of sorts.

I am seriously considering downgrading the new rig's CPU + PSU though...

draemn January 3, 2014 11:11 PM

I suggest you bump up to the GTX 780 Ti as you can look at a 20-23% performance boost (maybe slightly more). I'm seeing around $570 for the 780 custom and $740 for custom 780 Ti. So, it isn't the best deal in the world, but it gives you crowning GPU performance without having to pay a really huge premium. Ditto on the 650W to save some money and I don't like going dual GPU anymore either. With current RAM prices, buying 2x sticks and waiting for prices to come down to buy the next two :thumb:

Edit: you can install games that don't benefit from the SSD on your HDD. Steam makes it really easy/convenient to install your game on any drive on your system. Whenever you go to install a new game, steam gives you the option of what drive to install it on.

moocow January 3, 2014 11:12 PM

A quick search on Steam game splitting resulted this link on the Steam forum:

SSD Split SteamApps - Steam Users' Forums

I guess you can just get 1x256GB SSD (ADATA wouldn't be my first pick) and use the tools to move the games between the platter drive and SSD. As for RAM, I would go with 2x4GB so I will have the other 2 slot to fill if I find PS to be sucking down memory like I suck down Almond Roca. A bit more extreme situation would be 2x8GB and may be move up to 4x8GB for 32GB of RAM.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:48 AM.