LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2014, 10:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
A quick search on Steam game splitting resulted this link on the Steam forum:

SSD Split SteamApps - Steam Users' Forums

I guess you can just get 1x256GB SSD (ADATA wouldn't be my first pick) and use the tools to move the games between the platter drive and SSD. As for RAM, I would go with 2x4GB so I will have the other 2 slot to fill if I find PS to be sucking down memory like I suck down Almond Roca. A bit more extreme situation would be 2x8GB and may be move up to 4x8GB for 32GB of RAM.
Uh oh, I just placed the online order for 2 x ADATA SSD 256GB... They're each $120 off so i couldn't resist. Something wrong with ADATA? :(
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old January 3, 2014, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I get you on the space sims and RTS games... but still, have you tried overclocking it...
I don't remember really but I think you can get a reasonable performance boost out of it... you may not need to spend anything till next year. :)

HTPC... pah... chromecast.. done
(Well, not exactly done.. there is some fiddling to do to get them to work how they should (stream from HDD or site other than youtube etc) there is a way around it, just looking into it myself) :P

As for SSD's... 256GB is plenty unless your a prolific game installer (I usually keep about 10 installed (my 5 or so fave + flavours of the month). And Adata is just a much smaller player in the market than the likes of Crucial, Kingston, Samsung and Intel. If you got a real bargain I wouldn't worry tooo much. (unless they turn out to be rubbish, which I doubt)
And as said above, not all games benefit (or at least to the same degree) from SSD's so you can stick em on the HDD instead.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; January 3, 2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
I get you on the space sims and RTS games... but still, have you tried overclocking it...
I don't remember really but I think you can get a reasonable performance boost out of it... you may not need to spend anything till next year. :)

HTPC... pah... chromecast.. done
(Well, not exactly done.. there is some fiddling to do to get them to work how they should (stream from HDD or site other than youtube etc) there is a way around it, just looking into it myself) :P

As for SSD's... 256GB is plenty unless your a prolific game installer (I usually keep about 10 installed (my 5 or so fave + flavours of the month). And Adata is just a much smaller player in the market than the likes of Crucial, Kingston, Samsung and Intel. If you got a real bargain I wouldn't worry tooo much. (unless they turn out to be rubbish, which I doubt)
And as said above, not all games benefit (or at least to the same degree) from SSD's so you can stick em on the HDD instead.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my rig is slightly overclocked; I couldn't go further because once I get past 3.2GHz the system is prone to crashing for some weird reason (even though my i5 + mobo is supposed to be very OC friendly).
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Old January 4, 2014, 09:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Radeon 280x-290-290x support AMD when you can guys.

CPU cooler instead of that massive amount on an H100 that haswell does not truly gen a benefit from, going with something like a coolermaster hyper 212 EVO, if you really want to go liquid then a custom loop by far is the best option and H100 is not the only top AIO out there of course there is a nice chart here 2013 All-in-One Liquid-Cooling Buying Guide - EXTREME Overclocking Forums

Speaking on cpu, 3770k/3570k is a valid option(and do get a slightly better cooling potential from various coolers) in many cases faster, cooler(load temps) less power to same (load) average better overclocks. Haswell for mobile is amazing, for desktop it is hardly better then Ivy Bridge in real world use and does tend to be more $. New is not always what it is cracked up to be, not that I would normally recommend doing so, but if you do not plan EVER on overclocking, go with a non k model cpu can save a few $.

I second the 8gb ram recommendation, unless you are maxing out 8gb of ram to begin with, no point in going 16gb unless you really want to, or will find a new for it.

A decent quality 550-650w will be fine, Corsair has their CS550M CS650M and RM series which are quite nice for their price point, seasonic of course makes some, as does Antec., and possibly some Silverstone models.

SSD wise, Samsung 840 EVO or 840 PRO quite simple choice.

Case wise Zalman Z11 Plus, NZXT Phantom 530, Arc Midi R2, Enermax iVektor, Rosewill Armor EVO are some choices for the case.

As for the Caviar Black 4tb(newest is model FZEX) there are better picks or at least recommended ones Western Digital Caviar Black V2 4TB (WD4003FZEX) review: faster Black hard drive | Hardware.Info United States
a Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB or 3TB is the best choice, or even the newer Seagates Desktop SSHD 2TB. If you need a 4TB disk, the Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 4TB is a good option.

If you will use both a hard disk and an SSD, you don't need to spend money on an expensive 7200 rpm model. The Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB and Seagate Desktop HDD.15 4TB are more affordable and better options then.
-----------
I personally like performance so the first set of options might be something to look into.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why support AMD? is their product better? in my most recent experiences.. no.
Value is better yes but thats only if you can find a card and at that, one that hasn't had it's price jacked up because of all the mining.

Stick to Haswell, agree on the cooler (at-least somewhat), SSD.. not the EVO. uses TLC nand if I recall correctly which has a shorter life and is pretty new so is not well tested.. Crucial M500, sammy pro, Intel 520 are the main go-to's

I don't trust seagate consumer drive... barracuda may be slightly faster than a WD black but has a 2 yr warranty vs 5. But I do agree that unless your doing allot of reads and writes to the HDD on something that will bottle neck the PC (video editing or the like) then a less top end drive will be fine.. I would go 2 TB WD Red or similar.

Case is far too subjective to really give too much pointers on but NZXT, Coolermaster, Corsair, Fractal and Bitfinx all make very good kit.

Old January 4, 2014, 12:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for all the replies so far guys! Here's my updated spec list.

Case: CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3.0 version) - happily surprised that CM now makes a USB 3.0 version of my old case, which I absolutely loved.
PSU: XFX Pro 850W Black Edition (Can't change this one since I bought it for $100)
CPU: Core i7 4770K
Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asus Z87-PRO
Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB)
SSD: Crucial M500 480GB
HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB (I'll use this to mount most of my games that don't benefit from SSD); I already have 2 WD 3TB Greens waiting from my old rig for media storage
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 780 OC DirectCU II (seems best value right now)

One thing that is on my mind is this rig's potential for OC. I know that it is HUGE. But honestly, I do modest OC at most (e.g. my i5-750 is *modestly* OC'd to 3.06GHz, and my GPU is completely stock), so aren't I just throwing money away? On the other hand, moving to 4770 non-K gets me a mere $20 in savings...so...

Second thing: Asus R9 290X DirectCU II OC is about to come out. I'm not thinking of getting it since it'll be out of my price range, but I'm hoping that it'll mean the 780 OC will drop in price? Thoughts?

Choices...so many choices...

Last edited by sakage.shinga; January 4, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old January 4, 2014, 08:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you want to save money there are plenty of places to do it with that build... I wouldn't go non k though, $20 is a small drop in what your spending and basically removes your ability to OC.

Really you could just go for a board, cpu and ssd and upgrade what you have if you really want to save some bucks. Adding a GPU if you need it after as your complaining about CPU bottleneck rather than anything else.

If you want to save on the whole build, drop the SSD to 240 / 256GB.. I have 16 games installed at the mo with near 90 GB free on my 256GB.
The cooler can be dropped down to a CM Hyper 212.. It will provide about 90% of the cooling and if your only going for minor overclocks it will be plenty.
Half the RAM without issue.
The CM 690II is a decent case but very overpriced for how old it is and USB 3 is only useful if you have a device that saturates USB 2.. (There aren't that many)
Not that I'm suggesting not to get a case with front USB 3.0... Just I don't think the CM is worth it (that said it is good cooling, decent features and looks and damn solid Personally a silent Fractal or NZXT would be my first pics at the mo (Had the 690II and have a NZXT P630 atm)

780 won't drop in price with the 290x DCII

Old January 5, 2014, 12:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ahh having trouble picking a case. I really REALLY love the look of my CM 690 II Advanced, but I do wish that it had a clear side panel plus removable bottom/top filter panels. On the other hand, the newer cases available today are either too minimalistic (e.g. Fractal Designs) with hidden drive bays (which I don't like), or too flashy (e.g. NZXT). I wish the CM 690 III came with exposed power-on buttons and sata hotmount bay, but alas, it doesn't, otherwise it'd be the perfect case for me...
Old January 5, 2014, 12:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

everybody's idea of what a good case is soooo different that it's hard to make decent suggestions on ones that may not have been seen......

http://products.ncix.com/detail/ener...90111-1221.htm

Not a front hot swap bay, but apparently hot swap on top. (The bitfenix ghost had a similar setup).

I doubt it's anywhere near what you are looking for, but worth a shot as enermax probably isn't on your radar.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 5, 2014, 12:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
everybody's idea of what a good case is soooo different that it's hard to make decent suggestions on ones that may not have been seen......

http://products.ncix.com/detail/ener...90111-1221.htm

Not a front hot swap bay, but apparently hot swap on top. (The bitfenix ghost had a similar setup).

I doubt it's anywhere near what you are looking for, but worth a shot as enermax probably isn't on your radar.
Actually that's pretty darn close! Thanks! I'll put it on my top three choices.

1) CM 690 III (I wish it came with sata hot swap + exposed power button)
2) Enermax Hoplite ST (more refined curves would've made this my top choice)
3) Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (slightly too minimalistic for my tastes)

Was also seriously considering Corsair 750D (originally #1 choice), but apparently its front panel is built kinda cheap with many units shipping with damaged panels that don't close properly...

If only CM released a 690 III Advanced version...sigh...

Last edited by sakage.shinga; January 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM.