Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2014, 06:16 PM
MVP

Default building new rig upon old coponents

my computer's board fried. now i am wanting to take this time and SUPER UPGRADE by buying new board with the same components from the fried computer and with same case. cpu, ram graphic card ect......

the fried computer is acer m5100 desktop. i heard it use 690g board but heard someone said 760g would work on it. the old board maximum only has 4gb ram but the 760g has 16gb maximum ram so will that even compatible?

1-
will this board 760g Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A780L3C AM3 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard work on the acer m5100 desktop? stock spec of the acer is athlon x2 4400+, 1gb ram 5300 ddr2, 320gb hard drive. since the 760g has maximum of 16gb ram i concider i will take this time to upgrade the ram from my current 3gb ram of 4gb of maximum capacity to 8gb or something. also will the new board come with the coin-board? or i must take the coin from the fried board and put it on the new board?

2-
am also wanting to take the time to upgrade to windows 7..... brand new windows 7 only 99 dollar. will the data from my current hard drive on the fried board still be on the hard drive once i install windows 7 on it along with a new board?

3-
also want to power up the cpu by a few punch...... like to 6400+ or something. is cpu's plug and play? just snap any cpu down and wala? no installing software stuff? if i cant upgrade the cpu then its fine, i put old cpu on the new board.

most of all i want to know what board is capatible......... with all my components.......... will 760g board work on it?

Last edited by hohohee; January 2, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old January 2, 2014, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you need to pay attention : the cpu you have is an AM2 while the board you aiming for is AM3 and equipped with the AMD 760G chipset which works with DDR3. And your cpu does not work with DDR3 only DDR2. Assuming your CPU is still alive, you will have to shop for a AM2/AM2+ mobo that works with DDR2. You will need the Asrock A785GM-LE, still on sale at newegg. ASRock A785GM-LE AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

Your PC specs here Acer Aspire M5100 Specs - Desktops - CNET Reviews
Old January 2, 2014, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Look at who posted this and it will explain itself in a lot of ways.
Old January 2, 2014, 08:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
you need to pay attention : the cpu you have is an AM2 while the board you aiming for is AM3 and equipped with the AMD 760G chipset which works with DDR3. And your cpu does not work with DDR3 only DDR2. Assuming your CPU is still alive, you will have to shop for a AM2/AM2+ mobo that works with DDR2. You will need the Asrock A785GM-LE, still on sale at newegg. ASRock A785GM-LE AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

the link u posted is not what i got. yes same series and same number m5100 but not the spec. dont have the phenom.

it is athlon x2 4400+ with 1gb ram, 320gb hard drive.

maybe it have many trims for this model? i dont know but what i know is it does not have phenom.

is it safe to say the board is the same? since it is same model name? m5100 but not same spec.
Old January 2, 2014, 09:03 PM
Allstar

If you're not sure about the CPU's exact socket, why not remove it and clean off the thermal paste and get the part number?
Old January 2, 2014, 09:30 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
If you're not sure about the CPU's exact socket, why not remove it and clean off the thermal paste and get the part number?
i already renew thermal paste and reseat cpu. forgot to look at the part number.

does it say anywhere else?

i am thinking its am2 though.
Old January 2, 2014, 09:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post

yeah you right i think its am2 as i could of remember i saw the word am2 on the cpu when i reseat the cpu.

but the spec is not phenom. does it matter? the spec is athlon x2 4400+, 1gb ram, 320gb hard drive

is the asrock board still compatible? even if its athlon x2 and not phenom? whole different spec.

Last edited by hohohee; January 2, 2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old January 2, 2014, 10:14 PM
Allstar

Seriously, just remove the CPU again to check the part number. Some board may be AM2 or AM2+ but they may have an upper limit as to what CPU they can support. While it seem that the board MARSTG suggested will work, refer to the CPU list below and check it against the CPU. Thermal paste is not that expensive. IMO, I wouldn't bother with it. The suggested board only support a max of 8GB of DDR2 RAM (2x4GB) and cost as much as a Haswell i5 new. Spending the money on an AMD APU base system would be much smarter way to upgrade. Unless you have another board to test the CPU, you can't be sure it's still working. If you go out of a limb and get that replacement board from Newegg and it doesn't work, you just spend $60 for nothing and I bet $5 that you will have a difficult time unload it here.

ASRock > A785GM-LE
Old January 2, 2014, 10:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Seriously, just remove the CPU again to check the part number. Some board may be AM2 or AM2+ but they may have an upper limit as to what CPU they can support. While it seem that the board MARSTG suggested will work, refer to the CPU list below and check it against the CPU. Thermal paste is not that expensive. IMO, I wouldn't bother with it. The suggested board only support a max of 8GB of DDR2 RAM (2x4GB) and cost as much as a Haswell i5 new. Spending the money on an AMD APU base system would be much smarter way to upgrade. Unless you have another board to test the CPU, you can't be sure it's still working. If you go out of a limb and get that replacement board from Newegg and it doesn't work, you just spend $60 for nothing and I bet $5 that you will have a difficult time unload it here.

ASRock > A785GM-LE
yeah not sure if cpu still working as fried board can toast it too right?

does newegg take returns if the board turns out not compatible and cpu fried? do they full refund?

haswell i5..... wouldnt i be spending more on the compatible board for it? i dont want to spend alot. i just want a new board and current components to go on it.

i have good component on the fried board.... corsair dhx 6400 2x 1gb, 8800 gts 512mb and antec earthwatts 380 watts. at the time of fried board, luckly the graphic card wasnt installed on it.

athlon x2 is fast enough as my opinion. and just to note the fried board maxmum capacity is 4gb of ram. i want to get 6gb ram or 8gb ram or even 16gb as room for upgrade even further.

and yeah i think it is am2+ and not am2. does the am2+ support higher athlon x2 than the normal am2?

upgrading cpu is just extra though.

what? thermal paste.... i already put new thermal paste on it when i was trying to figure out whats wrong with the computer. thought it was cpu broken but turns out fried board. im not buying thermal paste as i already replace thermal paste to the cpu.

Last edited by hohohee; January 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You will have to re-apply the paste when you get anew board again anyway...

an x2 is not worth spending money on and it could possibly even be socket 939..

What is the model of the Motherboard your using.. that will tell you exactly what you have... Either way either get something second hand (you might even find something free) or grab something new.. Either an APU as suggested above or an i3 etc and be done with it.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"