Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2014, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If your going new there is literally nothing you will want to take from your old build.

You may be very happy with a second-hand build... maybe an i7 920 or similar or even a Phenom II x6..
It all depends on what you want to do and how much money you have to spend on it.

If you just need something to do internet stuffs, streaming etc then your best bet new will be something like dell.. you can't beat them for the cheapest stuff. But you might get something decent for the same price second hand.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; January 3, 2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 08:50 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
If your going new there is literally nothing you will want to take from your old build.

You may be very happy with a second-hand build... maybe an i7 920 or similar or even a Phenom II x6..
It all depends on what you want to do and how much money you have to spend on it.
either way i go, i am wanting for the hard drive to still work!

do you think a phenom system prebuild for 200 usa dollar is easy to find? i know i can look it up right now but since i am already here mind as well ask.

oh and your statement...... does it go with the case too? if i building whole new..... i want to install everything on the same case since it has memory reader and hdmi. the case is awesome.
Old January 3, 2014, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohee View Post
i want to install everything on the same case since it has memory reader and hdmi. the case is awesome.
hdmi is MB, not case

for no gpu case built out of tin

if reader is in a 3.5 bay you can take over to new case an use the usb header to connect
Old January 3, 2014, 09:20 PM
Allstar

Assuming the old case can be reuse, which is something I don't recommend. You can build a barebone AMD system using their APU for less than $300 USD if you can reuse your HDD, DVD-Rom, mouse, KB, monitor, and OS.

PCPartPicker part list: AMD A4-4000 - System Build - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: AMD A4-4000 - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker
Benchmarks: AMD A4-4000 - System Build - Benchmarks - PCPartPicker

CPU: AMD A4-4000 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($43.68 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 400W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $202.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-04 00:18 EST-0500)
Old January 3, 2014, 09:32 PM
MVP

wow pretty cheap. never heard of amd a4 cpu before though. and the the current earthwatts power supply might be working! might not need for new one. keyboard and mouse i got some laying around. and wow again 8gb ram system for 200 dollar! thats awesome.

what you mean by using their apu?

and awesome to hear that the memory reader is removable! it is a bay.

why it is not recommend to not use old case on new build? fit issue?

awesome price match site by the way. never knew it.

does the asrock or the new board gigabyte posted has HDMI? yeah i know one question lead to another.

and how is the amd a4 speed equivalent to what athlon x2? 6400+ ?

Last edited by hohohee; January 3, 2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:02 PM
Allstar

Sorry, I keep forgetting to explain what APU is. Basically, it's AMD's fancy marketing term for a specific line of CPU. The CPU basically fuse both a GPU and CPU together and it's different from AMD's FX and Athlon II line as those 2 don't have a build-in GPU. However, most of Intel's current CPU do have build in GPU as well.

Now, here are the reasons why I don't recommend reusing old case:

1. It is because it's a pre-build computer case. I seen some Dell and they are a bitch to fit another parts into it.
2. It may be barely sufficient in cooling for the original parts but not for good enough for new parts.
3. Relating to point #1 & #2, if you buy a used GPU card so you can play games, it may not even fit into that Acer case.
4. It may be using a shorten PSU, if you use a stronger & better unit, it may not fit.

I went and pick another possible build for you base on Intel and the fact that you will reuse the PSU. The Intel build is better especially if you decide to add a GPU card later to play games. The previous AMD A4 build is a very very basic computer. As you can see in the following link, the Intel i3-3240 performance better than the AMD A8 (which is better than the A4). So if you don't plan on ever gaming on your computer, you can go with the AMD build but swap the PSU for a better case. Or if you do plan on gaming later, get the Intel build, save some money and get a GPU later.

Roundup: Intel Core i3 Processors with Ivy Bridge Microarchitecture. Page 5 - X-bit labs

PCPartPicker part list: Intel Core i3-3240 - System Build - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: Intel Core i3-3240 - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker
Benchmarks: Intel Core i3-3240 - System Build - Benchmarks - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Core i3-3240 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-M LE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $229.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-04 00:46 EST-0500)
Old January 3, 2014, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For the case... you could use the old one... but really it will look better, be quieter, provide better air-flow, allow for better cable management, should be filtered etc... also with those all in one pc buys... they really are made from crap and christ knows what problems you'll have... also USB 3 up front?

APU is GPU and CPU all in one chip... they are actually pretty good for lower end builds.

Considering how old your rig was, ditch the old PSU.. it may have even been the issue from the start (sorry but your not very coherent so I'm guessing you didn't think of that?) and even if not some connectors have changed and it's just to old.

I think most new boards with on-board have HDMI... click the links and read the board specifications

Speed wise the A4 should be a significant upgrade.. you next biggest upgrades should be either GPU or SSD..
SSD will make it all load much faster and be much snappier in opening applications etc...
GPU, well it will let you run games at a faster frame rate or higher setting (or both)

I understand you want the data from the drive but seriously.. it will slow your whole system down a really significant amount.
My brother used to hoard old HDD's but a new hdd fixed that when he saw how fast it was... SSD on my pc blew him away..

For now, I would grab something like Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (WD5000AAKX) - PCPartPicker or even an actual SSD Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (CT120M500SSD1) - PCPartPicker

Again, I would look second-hand for some used older but still higher performance parts. or something similar performance for less.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"