Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2014, 04:56 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
You will have to re-apply the paste when you get anew board again anyway...

an x2 is not worth spending money on and it could possibly even be socket 939..

What is the model of the Motherboard your using.. that will tell you exactly what you have... Either way either get something second hand (you might even find something free) or grab something new.. Either an APU as suggested above or an i3 etc and be done with it.
oh right 939! i recognize it! yes i think its 939!

so how high can a 939 cpu athlon x2 go on the asrock board? i want to get as high as posible for the asrock board.... and ofcourse i will try to get it second hand on ebay for 10, 20 dollar for the cpu.

i want to spin less than 200 dollar for everything. new board and maybe new cpu..... new os...... 200 dollar.

so asrock board it is? asrock definitely support 939 athlon x2 series? and 5300 ddr2 ram? athough my ram sticks are 6400 corsair dhx.

if asrock board it is now i want to know can any athlon x2 be on it? like x2 6400+ or whatever high number model it has.

edit: oopz 939 wasnt it. 939 was the other computer. i am sure it is am2 and not am2+ either.

Last edited by hohohee; January 3, 2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have a look at the supported CPU in the CPU support list of the mobo. That will tell you what the mobo will support for sure. And you really need to know what you have, (maybe this, maybe that, is not an exact science). In your place I would go with a highly clocked core 2 duo.
Old January 3, 2014, 05:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Have a look at the supported CPU in the CPU support list of the mobo. That will tell you what the mobo will support for sure. And you really need to know what you have, (maybe this, maybe that, is not an exact science). In your place I would go with a highly clocked core 2 duo.
will core 2 duo work on asrock board and all my components?

i have 5300 ddr2, actual stick is 6400 corsair dhx. sata western digital hard drive.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

god don't waste your money trying to revive that cpu man it's long since dead and buried. That biostar board is a complete waste of money too.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 3, 2014, 07:33 PM
MVP

this will clear..... this is what exactly i have Acer AM5100-U5201A Desktop X2 2.2GHz 4GB 320GB DVDRW - CowBoom.com exept 1gb stock ram instead of 4gb ram

and this is the board it has? MB.S8709.001 Aspire 4400+ AM5100-U5201A System Board ! Brt Part Store
aka f690 gvm

so..... is the cpu am2 or am3? or what?
Old January 3, 2014, 07:40 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
god don't waste your money trying to revive that cpu man it's long since dead and buried. That biostar board is a complete waste of money too.
the biostar board i posted before? yeah someone said it wasnt capatible with the current components.... something like that.

asrock is what i am looking. keeping the cpu if it is still good but also might upgrade to higher up cpu in the same line.
Old January 3, 2014, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

another 939 cpu? It's a pointless waste of time and money. Good luck.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 3, 2014, 07:48 PM
MVP

what? 939? the board i link? the computer i link? uses 939 cpu?
Old January 3, 2014, 09:06 PM
Allstar

OK, from what the links you posted, I researched a bit and it looks like it's an AM2 board. However, it sounds like you're not 100% sure yourself about the motherboard model.

AM2 MOTHERBOARD F690GVM W/IOBKT/1394 - RS690M03-2.0A-8EKRFS2H - CCL Computers

Like I said before, unless you clean off the CPU and get the part number, we can't be 100% sure. About my earlier comment about the RAM, I meant brand new 2x4GB DDR2 cost as much as a new Haswell i5 CPU. If you got the cash to get 8GB of DDR2, you can afford a new AMD APU system, more or less.

Newegg will not give you a full refund if it turns out to be a dead CPU. You will have to pay to ship it back + restocking fees.

AM2 is not compatible with 939! You have to be careful here. Assuming you're going to buy that ASRock replacement board, the DDR2 RAM and SATA HDD should work, unless they got fried too. There's so many unknown factors here that spending money to fix it would be consider a huge risk.
Old January 3, 2014, 09:37 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
OK, from what the links you posted, I researched a bit and it looks like it's an AM2 board. However, it sounds like you're not 100% sure yourself about the motherboard model.

AM2 MOTHERBOARD F690GVM W/IOBKT/1394 - RS690M03-2.0A-8EKRFS2H - CCL Computers

Like I said before, unless you clean off the CPU and get the part number, we can't be 100% sure. About my earlier comment about the RAM, I meant brand new 2x4GB DDR2 cost as much as a new Haswell i5 CPU. If you got the cash to get 8GB of DDR2, you can afford a new AMD APU system, more or less.

Newegg will not give you a full refund if it turns out to be a dead CPU. You will have to pay to ship it back + restocking fees.

AM2 is not compatible with 939! You have to be careful here. Assuming you're going to buy that ASRock replacement board, the DDR2 RAM and SATA HDD should work, unless they got fried too. There's so many unknown factors here that spending money to fix it would be consider a huge risk.
thanks for checking.

restocking fee? shipping fee? for returns that is not compatible? mannnn..... really is a risk then. dont want to build upon current components now. anyway yeah im pretty sure now that the board posted was exactly what i have. i open up the case and look at the board and everything looks the same and same color and everything. lazy to check the cpu itself for now.

thats good to know that the asrock board will be good for my components. so yeah.... asrock is the one i should get if i am building new upon current components...... but...... my 2x 1gb corsair dhx would be a waste, if i install it, i wont be having all 8gb as it take whole 2 slots. hmmmmm......

anyway..... if i build it fresh..... no worry about current components compatibility...... whats your estimation of a whole new build and cheapest? in USA dollar.

new ram ddr3 or something, new modern cpu, new board and i really want to build upon the case as it has multiple memory reader and it even have HDMI! i didnt even notice it until now! if i get board and everything and build upon the case, would i lose all the memory reader slot feature? or it has a wire that plugs on a board?

you mention amd apu system many time. i have no idea what that is. a new modern board? i got to look it up.

Last edited by hohohee; January 3, 2014 at 09:44 PM.