Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2014, 07:31 AM
Rookie

Default $500 build advice (no video card needed)

Hey all. My PC isn't happy playing bf4, so seems a good time to upgrade. I dont have a huge budget but luckily I do have a 7870 vid card I bought recently. With so many opinions online I figured I'd come to my local friends for advice.
PC will be used for gaming mostly, with mild streaming and mild audio editing possible in the future.

Not afraid to over clock. I'm not Intel/amd biased.
Motherboard options make my head hurt. Chipsets. Brands. Which boards will offer enough options cost/performance ratio.

I'd prefer to buy from memory express, as i am in Calgary, and they have always been good with price matching and warranty replacements, but am not afraid to buy used parts where the savings justify the risk.

Thanks ahead of time. Think I covered everything. Here's what I am thinking:
Amd fx8320 $150
Aftermarket cooler. (No clue! $30?)
Motherboard. (No idea!). $100
Seagate 1tb sshd $100
8 GB ram (ripjaw series) $70
Thermaletake s21 case with 600w power supply ($80)

I am not including a OS in the cost as I think I have a copy of win7 64bit laying around.

Thanks again all. Love the forums!
Old January 2, 2014, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What do you have at the moment?

What PSU is in that case?

Cooler go CM Hyper 212.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 2, 2014, 09:25 PM
Rookie

Right now I have an old hp pc with 3gig ram/q6600 processor, 750 gig HD. I upgraded the video card and power supply when I bought it, but nothing is salvagable except the card as its all obsolete. I'd like to keep it as a media server anyways and use the onboard video. My biggest concern is which motheboard to get as there is about 20 between $80 and $110 bucks.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm not personally very up with the different AMD chipsets these days but basically you should look at which ones have the features you need / want and then go read reviews..
Professional reviews like you read here will tell you about performance, features etc customer reviews will tell you how lucky or unlucky those customers got with their boards from that site but an be a good indication of failure rates.

If your worried about having issues and the related costs of RMA's, stick to Asus or MSI as they have Canadian based RMA facilities.

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with recent AMD boards can chime in and suggest something for you.

What is the 600W PSU in that new case... the main reason for building your own (apart from getting more performance for your money) is that you can avoid bad and sometimes dangerous no-name parts

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 3, 2014, 08:01 AM
Rookie

And the power supply is a thermaltake tr2 600w