Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2014, 03:51 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down $700 3D modeling & gaming (I'm so lost. I haven't upgraded in almost a decade.)

I've been researching this for at least 3 weeks solid and I'm ready to have a mental breakdown. I'm exhausted.
Intel Core i7-4770, Asus GeForce GTX 660, Silverstone Redline Series RL03B-W-USB 3.0 - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

edit: Budget of around $700 including peripherals.

It's for 3D modeling and gaming (maybe try out video editing), although I'm not intending to do anything too demanding in either.
I do intend for it to last me for 5-10 years. That's about how often I update (save for parts failing on me like has happened in the past with HDDs, monitors, PSUs.)

edit: I forgot to mention that I've been using for reference, logicalincrements.com and cpubenchmark.net and videocardbenchmark.net (although I've been told the benchmarks are useless)

I don't know whether to go to the hassle of getting that i7-4770 for $250, or spend a similar amount on something like an i5-4670 ($233, or $250 for a 4670K), or save $100 and get an AMD. (Like a AMD FX-8320 for $130)
The problem with the i7 is that I'd have to get a friend/relative in the USA try to pricematch at their local store to the listing at MicroCenter (that doesn't sell/ship online). I could avoid the $7.50 in PayPal fees by mailing them a check. I'm a little annoyed that they upped the price of the i7-4770*K* to $280 a couple days ago when it was $250 before.

I don't know if I should go nVidia or AMD. Planning on 3D modeling under Linux, and I heard the generation that the R9 270 is in is not well supported.
No idea what I'll be gaming. Maybe WoW at some point, but I guess that's not too demanding. Can I do that through emulation in Linux, or is that still spotty crap? With the NSA stuff, I'm wondering if it's better to avoid Windows if at all possible. (Of course anyone they really care about they can get, but at least I could avoid the botnet, etc.)
I'm not sure where to look for a benchmark and on what. As I understand it, every app is unique, and I'm not sure if they boil down into specialization with the two chipsets or not.

No idea on monitors in Canada.
Is there anything about eye strain? I'm getting old and worn out, especially sitting at a PC too much.
The selection in Canada is horrible. newegg.ca VS newegg.com is terrible. CA.PCpartpicker isn't up to date.
I don't know... Should I look at those Korean ones? At least there's be no price or selection disadvantage in not being American then. or are those strictly for gaming?

No idea on keyboard. Probably just whatever cheap rubber dome. Hopefully one that removes the arrow keys and moves the numpad over, with the numlock keys in the layout of the dedicated arrow keys (inverted-T arrow keys at bottom, 6 keys above it). I have no idea what these are called. I'm not sure it's standard like "10keyless" is. It's like this CM Storm Quickfire TK. http://www.cmstorm.com/uploads/OVERA...RES%281%29.jpg
I have been considering a Cherry brown, but I'm having a hard time justifying the costs of a mechanical without being able to know it'll be worth it, and with the variation of switches being a very personal thing, I can't even be sure what's good for me.
I had found a Thermaltake Poseidon keyboard (cherry brown, blue LEDs) locally on sale for $54, but the last one was on hold, and now sold out, so I'm discouraged.
I may just wait on mechanical until the RGB LED Cherry keyboards are out this spring, so I can justify the cost. Hopefully I can get the perfect mechanical keyboard.

At least I found a local store that has the CoolerMaster Storm Recon mouse in white without paying $10 more than the black one. Hopefully I can get it before it's out of stock. I'm so sick of the colors guys usually end up stuck with. Black, blue, earthtones.

I had wanted a SDD, but I'm not sure at what point it's appropriate. If I cut $100 for AMD CPU, will it still be worth it?

The case I picked is kind of crappy. Apparently the air filters don't fit on the top or side. Air filters are what I want most, and good air flow.
and uh... I guess noise can't really be addressed with a case (other than really inferior ones with rattling parts). Best to just use larger diameter fans, and on the extreme use water cooling, yeah? (water cooling appeals to me, but I guess it's not worth it unless overclocking.)
I'm guessing tool-less drive removal is not worth it if you're upgrading so infrequently. The case I picked actually has it despite being cheap. I'm actually more concerned over cases that don't allow you to remove part of the HDD bay for better front air intake. I only need like one or two drives.

Last edited by Chaotic Descent; January 12, 2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: updating budget price (I hope that's not misleading)
Old January 1, 2014, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you just need the unit or monitor too? what are looking for? value for $? Efficiency?
Old January 1, 2014, 08:38 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Errr.... I don't see the OP's comments?
Old January 1, 2014, 09:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Me either, but his comment shows up when you go to pick this thread out of the list and hover your mouse over it.
Old January 1, 2014, 10:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ya, it's the bug that if you edit the post that's been in moderation the general populace can't see it. Here's the OP:

I've been researching this for at least 3 weeks solid and I'm ready to have a mental breakdown. I'm exhausted.
Intel Core i7-4770, Asus GeForce GTX 660, Silverstone Redline Series RL03B-W-USB 3.0 - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

Budget of around $1K including peripherals. Could go a couple hundred more, but I'd prefer to pay less if this is overkill.

It's for 3D modeling and gaming (maybe try out video editing), although I'm not intending to do anything too demanding in either.
I do intend for it to last me for 5-10 years. That's about how often I update (save for parts failing on me like has happened in the past with HDDs, monitors, PSUs.)

edit: I forgot to mention that I've been using for reference, logicalincrements.com and cpubenchmark.net and videocardbenchmark.net (although I've been told the benchmarks are useless)

I don't know whether to go to the hassle of getting that i7-4770 for $250, or spend a similar amount on something like an i5-4670 ($233, or $250 for a 4670K), or save $100 and get an AMD. (Like a AMD FX-8320 for $130)
The problem with the i7 is that I'd have to get a friend/relative in the USA try to pricematch at their local store to the listing at MicroCenter (that doesn't sell/ship online). I could avoid the $7.50 in PayPal fees by mailing them a check. I'm a little annoyed that they upped the price of the i7-4770*K* to $280 a couple days ago when it was $250 before.

I don't know if I should go nVidia or AMD. Planning on 3D modeling under Linux, and I heard the generation that the R9 270 is in is not well supported.
No idea what I'll be gaming. Maybe WoW at some point, but I guess that's not too demanding. Can I do that through emulation in Linux, or is that still spotty crap? With the NSA stuff, I'm wondering if it's better to avoid Windows if at all possible. (Of course anyone they really care about they can get, but at least I could avoid the botnet, etc.)
I'm not sure where to look for a benchmark and on what. As I understand it, every app is unique, and I'm not sure if they boil down into specialization with the two chipsets or not.

No idea on monitors in Canada.
Is there anything about eye strain? I'm getting old and worn out, especially sitting at a PC too much.
The selection in Canada is horrible. newegg.ca VS newegg.com is terrible. CA.PCpartpicker isn't up to date.
I don't know... Should I look at those Korean ones? At least there's be no price or selection disadvantage in not being American then. or are those strictly for gaming?

No idea on keyboard. Probably just whatever cheap rubber dome. Hopefully one that removes the arrow keys and moves the numpad over, with the numlock keys in the layout of the dedicated arrow keys (inverted-T arrow keys at bottom, 6 keys above it). I have no idea what these are called. I'm not sure it's standard like "10keyless" is. It's like this CM Storm Quickfire TK. http://www.cmstorm.com/uploads/OVERA...RES%281%29.jpg
I have been considering a Cherry brown, but I'm having a hard time justifying the costs of a mechanical without being able to know it'll be worth it, and with the variation of switches being a very personal thing, I can't even be sure what's good for me.
I had found a Thermaltake Poseidon keyboard (cherry brown, blue LEDs) locally on sale for $54, but the last one was on hold, and now sold out, so I'm discouraged.
I may just wait on mechanical until the RGB LED Cherry keyboards are out this spring, so I can justify the cost. Hopefully I can get the perfect mechanical keyboard.

At least I found a local store that has the CoolerMaster Storm Recon mouse in white without paying $10 more than the black one. Hopefully I can get it before it's out of stock. I'm so sick of the colors guys usually end up stuck with. Black, blue, earthtones.

I had wanted a SDD, but I'm not sure at what point it's appropriate. If I cut $100 for AMD CPU, will it still be worth it?

The case I picked is kind of crappy. Apparently the air filters don't fit on the top or side. Air filters are what I want most, and good air flow.
and uh... I guess noise can't really be addressed with a case (other than really inferior ones with rattling parts). Best to just use larger diameter fans, and on the extreme use water cooling, yeah? (water cooling appeals to me, but I guess it's not worth it unless overclocking.)
I'm guessing tool-less drive removal is not worth it if you're upgrading so infrequently. The case I picked actually has it despite being cheap. I'm actually more concerned over cases that don't allow you to remove part of the HDD bay for better front air intake. I only need like one or two drives.
Old January 2, 2014, 05:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

you are talking about using multithreaded software so I would be looking to put as many cores on a cpu as you can afford. As for a budget build you might consider an 8 core AMD on a budget motherboard because you will need a shit ton of ram to support any of the software you are considering.

AMD 8320 overclocked would work fine then you need ram. 1600mhz will suffice and you can always fine some used stuff too. 16 gig kits for 100 bux or so.

video editing is cpu/ram intensive I can only imagine what 3d modeling is like considering most of those softwares require a decent video card?

8 gigs of ram will never work for what you want man... you'll be pulling your hair out regardless of how good the CPU is. You'll also want a lot more hard drive space but as a primary you might consider one of the hybrid Seagate drives its ssd/spin point combined.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 2, 2014, 08:47 AM
Rookie

Sorry. I didn't know about that editing problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
you are talking about using multithreaded software so I would be looking to put as many cores on a cpu as you can afford. As for a budget build you might consider an 8 core AMD on a budget motherboard because you will need a shit ton of ram to support any of the software you are considering.

AMD 8320 overclocked would work fine then you need ram. 1600mhz will suffice and you can always fine some used stuff too. 16 gig kits for 100 bux or so.
but wouldn't overclocking an AMD require water cooling, which would be just as expensive as the i7? or at least a non-stock CPU cooler, which would still take a big chunk out of that ~$100 savings.

Quote:
video editing is cpu/ram intensive I can only imagine what 3d modeling is like considering most of those softwares require a decent video card?

8 gigs of ram will never work for what you want man... you'll be pulling your hair out regardless of how good the CPU is. You'll also want a lot more hard drive space but as a primary you might consider one of the hybrid Seagate drives its ssd/spin point combined.
Wouldn't I only need more HDD space if I really got into video editing? I just want to try it.

You really need more RAM for 3D modeling? I thought it was mostly GPU and CPU, and even then only for heavy rendering (which I'm not doing, because that would require probably a $2-3K+ system)

Still pretty lost on the monitor. I feel like I have no protection against inferior products. I tried looking in the monitor sub-forum here and it doesn't look very comprehensive, more individual product reviews/problems. I'd like something that's good for both gaming and color accuracy for artwork. (3D, video editing)

Reading negative reviews... there's always negative reviews. and the marketplace is just a battleground, full of disinformation and paid shills. What a chore to try and make sense of it all. LogicalIncrements has a very nice setup, save for some shortcomings with more unusual things. It seems mostly focused on gaming rigs. While it shows some flex in the tiers, it's not helpful about what you should change for what reason, like if you're doing 3D modeling or video editing.
Old January 2, 2014, 09:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Monitor wise, any of the Dell UltraSharp's should suit your needs nicely. Pick a size and price point that suits you.

And what sort of applications do you plan to use for 3D Modelling? You should likely look at either the NVIDIA Quadro or AMD FirePro series of cards, not a consumer/gaming card. They'll offer hardware acceleration of those apps and provide you with a more fluid experience.

RAM requirements would depend on what applications your running. 8GB in my mind is the bare minimum today. 16GB would be my recommendation though.
Old January 2, 2014, 03:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Monitor wise, any of the Dell UltraSharp's should suit your needs nicely. Pick a size and price point that suits you.
After some digging, it seems those are purchased directly from Dell. At least it looks like there's free shipping and I can get a 23" for $160. (Newegg.ca has one that as I mentioned already, is a defective version according to some reviewers.)

Quote:
And what sort of applications do you plan to use for 3D Modelling? You should likely look at either the NVIDIA Quadro or AMD FirePro series of cards, not a consumer/gaming card. They'll offer hardware acceleration of those apps and provide you with a more fluid experience.
I thought I'd give Blender a go, since it's free and under Linux. A decade ago I learned some 3DS Max.

A new type of graphics card to research? Preliminary search impressions are that it's insanely overpriced:
Quote:
the GTK 680 and Quadro K5000 will render at the same speed. As they are based on the same hardware.
(note that it's optimized for yadda yadda that's meant for modeling, but still...)
The GTX 680 is $430 VS the Quadro being $1,010. Considering the dual-purpose, I'm not sure it's worth specializing at a premium like that.

Quote:
RAM requirements would depend on what applications your running. 8GB in my mind is the bare minimum today. 16GB would be my recommendation though.
I'll take that under consideration.
Old January 2, 2014, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

nah man a mild overclock on the 8320 to bring it up to par with it's bigger brother wouldn't affect temps too much. In fact you can probably get the same 500mhz increase without even touching the voltage. (a little research would be required) An H80 all-in-one water cooler for 50 bux would easily cool that overclock if a voltage increase was required so you spend a little more on a better cpu cooler and save a little on a slightly lower end cpu.

Long term I think its a good trade off.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.