Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2014, 10:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It sounds like you don't really want to buy and build a PC but rather have a simple turn-key solution. I think you should really consider just going to your nearest Future Shop or Best Buy and get something like the below links:

Acer Aspire ATC-105 (AMD A10-6700 / 1TB HDD / 8GB RAM / AMD HD8670D Graphics / Windows 8) : Desktop Computers - Future Shop

ASUS M11BB Desktop Computer (AMD A10-6700/ 1TB HDD/ 12GB RAM/ Windows 8) - Black : Everyday Computing - Best Buy Canada

The only thing on top you'd have to buy is a monitor. Again, Best Buy/Future Shop have lots of options that you can look at in store and if anything should go wrong, you can easily return it back to the store within the first 14 days.

Both machines appear to have an open PCI Express x16 slot as well, so you could easily put in a video card if you need one, however judging by what you want to do, I don't think you'll need one. If you do decide to add a video card though, you may have to upgrade the power supply as well.

Regardless, these machines will be leaps and bounds better than what you have and require no further research on your part.
Old January 12, 2014, 08:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
It sounds like you don't really want to buy and build a PC but rather have a simple turn-key solution. I think you should really consider just going to your nearest Future Shop or Best Buy
That's insanity. I mean, I'm insane (slightly less before the meltdown), but still. No way.

I'm still screwed in the monitor situation. I can't make any sense of them. It seems like all new monitors have (mostly) the same stats, and only discernible from reviews, which are prone to bias (bribery).
I wish I knew how to do research, instead of just dragging my net over the internet and eating whatever looks most appetizing, hoping my appetites don't mislead me or the waters give me bad selection. I've known for a long time that I'm bad at research, but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to do it better. Relying on popularity is not enough, because they could be shills.
Old January 12, 2014, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have never seen a computer on kijiji that wasn't a complete and total rip off. People selling computers on that site are dumber than **** and think their computers somehow hold value that doesn't exist. If you aren't willing to step up and purchase a computer for at least 700 bux (which I think is on the low side) to do 3d stuff, edit video, game. Then you might as well walk away from doing it all together.

That laptop I linked you would do everything you want and more... and you can take it with you. Down the road you can add another monitor to it if you really want.

The asrock board in your part picker is brutal btw stay away from those boards. Gigabyte or Asus.
16 gigs of ram not 8... yes it matters.

Don't sweat the monitor too much read some reviews on this site to help choose. Bottom line is if you are serious about editing video, pictures, 3d stuff and colour is important then you better expect to spend 600 bux on a monitor. Obviously that's not gonna happen so just forget about it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 13, 2014, 01:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

$600 for the monitor... no.. can be done cheaper. But really you will want an IPS panel and they start at ~ $240 for something like the U2413 from dell.

Your max budget of $700 for system and monitor is unrealistic if you want any kind of performance.

For 3d rendering and this budget, the only thing I can suggest is either a 6 core AMD like the phenom or a quad core intel like an i7 920..
Your not going to get much else that will be good and with this your buying 4-5 yr old tech, not really worth it IMO unless you get it at a very good price.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 13, 2014, 08:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Descent View Post
That's insanity. I mean, I'm insane (slightly less before the meltdown), but still. No way.
At $700 for a full system w/ monitor it's hard to justify building a machine, cause you'll always end up cutting corners somewhere and regret it later. If you want "the best" or the "fastest", you're going to need to put down at least $1k on the machine alone (I think that was your original plan?).

I'm genuinely curious as to what you are using at this very moment. From there, I imagine even an AMD A10 quad-core APU will be a drastic increase in performance. So maybe don't buy it pre-built, but spec it out in a similar fashion.