Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2014, 07:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Descent View Post
After some digging, it seems those are purchased directly from Dell. At least it looks like there's free shipping and I can get a 23" for $160. (Newegg.ca has one that as I mentioned already, is a defective version according to some reviewers.)

I thought I'd give Blender a go, since it's free and under Linux. A decade ago I learned some 3DS Max.

A new type of graphics card to research? Preliminary search impressions are that it's insanely overpriced:
(note that it's optimized for yadda yadda that's meant for modeling, but still...)
The GTX 680 is $430 VS the Quadro being $1,010. Considering the dual-purpose, I'm not sure it's worth specializing at a premium like that.
Yeah Quadro and FirePro cards cost a ton as they are "professional" cards that excel in OpenGL rendering, which is what most 3D modelling software relies on. If you aren't doing it professionally though, then it's probably not a big deal. And I have no idea what optimizations Blender has.

Are you looking at the U2312HM? I have one as well as a U2711. The 27 definitely has more accurate colours, but the 23 comes pretty close. It's a pretty well rounded monitor I'd say.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wow, not used blender in an age (about 4 -5 years)

Back then I was running it on a C2D dual core lappy with 2 GB ddr2. Nothing too elaborate but still :)

If your not going professionally into it then stick with a gaming card.. if you find you want more punch later you can always look second hand at a workstation card. Workstation cards are generally much more expensive because they are used to make money.. They are much better at certain things and only you can say if they are justifiable for your usage (Though it's very hard to tell without using one)

IMO, if it's in budget, grab 16GB ram, the 8320 and a hyper 212.. Thats a nice cheap cooler that performs well above it's price-point and will allow you a decent OC..

Watch out for Dell sales on the U2412.. It's much better for pretty much everything with the added depth of 1200 vs 1080 (More productive, better for games (IMO) only thing it's SLIGHTLY worse for is movies as you will have a thicker boarder making the "letterbox").

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; January 3, 2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old January 3, 2014, 07:30 AM
Rookie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Wow, not used blender in an age (about 4 -5 years)

Back then I was running it on a C2D dual core lappy with 2 GB ddr2. Nothing too elaborate but still :)

If your not going professionally into it then stick with a gaming card.. if you find you want more punch later you can always look second hand at a workstation card. Workstation cards are generally much more expensive because they are used to make money.. They are much better at certain things and only you can say if they are justifiable for your usage (Though it's very hard to tell without using one)

IMO, if it's in budget, grab 16GB ram, the 8320 and a hyper 212.. Thats a nice cheap cooler that performs well above it's price-point and will allow you a decent OC..

Watch out for Dell sales on the U2412.. It's much better for pretty much everything with the added depth of 1200 vs 1080 (More productive, better for games (IMO) only thing it's SLIGHTLY worse for is movies as you will have a thicker boarder making the "letterbox").
Ach! I already ordered a Dell U23, and I'm not a fan of the new trend of widescreen. Oh well, it's not like I can just wait around without a decent monitor.

I also bought the CM Storm Recon mouse, and as I suspected, it arches a bit too much for my hand to rest comfortably on it. :( I'm guessing the Logitech g400s would be better. It's a shame I'd have to give up my custom ricer LED and white finish for that (and try to sell off the CM mouse) Also the back button is killing me. Not sure I can get rid of it under CrunchBang.

I'm still not sold on the AMD CPU. It seems like either one is a compromise. Is it a matter of Intel being good all-around and AMD being better for 3D & 2D graphics work? I thought I saw a comment saying it doesn't even change render times, it just does like double-sided antialiasing (I don't even know what the hell that means).
I would have thought the i7-4770K which is unlocked for OCing would be good long-term, but I imagine it'll be another couple weeks before the price goes back down on MicroCenter to where it was before, given precedence.

I don't know. Uhg. What a pain. I wonder if all this research even matters. I should have just picked a price on LogicalIncrements and done that, instead of all this messing about. Maybe I should go look up info on case modding and dream of doing that. That would be much more pleasant. or get off the computer. my arms are falling off.

Also, holy crap the animated smilies window while typing posts on this forum is annoying.
Old January 3, 2014, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

technically the i7 is an 8 core with the virtual cores so if you wanna buck up for an intel system go for it. I only suggested the AMD cpu on the price point because you need lots of ram!
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:04 PM
Rookie

My Dell monitor debacle has really discouraged and disoriented me. I need a break from all this. I can't even think about this any more.
Sorry to everyone who responded, for potentially wasting your time.

I don't even know if it's sane to be spending all my savings on this computer. I don't know what else to do with my money but I'm not sure that means spending it is a good idea. Maybe I'll cut the budget by more than half.
It's too bad the used ones seem to be such a horrible value. I guess no one who builds their own rig from quality parts and shops for good prices decides they don't need the system after all.
Old January 3, 2014, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you decide to continue.. read this for the CPU and make your own mind up... Remember that the 8320 is a stellar overclocker and a 500mhz bump gets it to 8350 levels.. but then also remember that the 4770k is no slouch for ocing either.

Basically it's a chip thats not quite as good as a 4770k for less than a 4650k.. Ohh and you will probably find no-one willing to pricematch to microcentre as it's a in store offer only and price-matches are usually restricted to available for delivery and some won't even match sale prices.
Intel Haswell i7-4770K & i5-4670K Review

Personally I wouldn't spend all my savings on a computer, especially if I wasn't convinced I needed or really wanted it. You really have to ask yourself if it's worth having at the cost.

I know you said you haven't upgraded in a decade.. but what exactly are you running on now... (CPU, RAM, Memory etc and also your monitor and etc...) you may not have to spend as much as you think.. at least not all in one go.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; January 3, 2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:06 AM
Rookie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Personally I wouldn't spend all my savings on a computer, especially if I wasn't convinced I needed or really wanted it. You really have to ask yourself if it's worth having at the cost.

I know you said you haven't upgraded in a decade.. but what exactly are you running on now... (CPU, RAM, Memory etc and also your monitor and etc...) you may not have to spend as much as you think.. at least not all in one go.
No. There's nothing to salvage except the new mouse I just bought. (The PC that died was a P4. I'm currently on an even older POS. My CRT monitor is blurry for some reason, although I may be able to tolerate it for a few months. I don't even know when it started being that way.)

I wonder how cheap I could make a system before it's not worth lowering the price. I'm guessing around $500. I could use an old case, and get an adapter for the old XT mechanical keyboard. I don't know what the hell I'll do for a monitor though. Probably not worth getting a Korean monitor if I'm getting and even less powerful PC.

I'm thinking of making a USB boot-something and see if I can use the local university's PC lab for 3D modeling, but that would only work if they didn't lock out USB booting.

I don't know what I'm doing. Probably going to put this off as long as possible.
Old January 6, 2014, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

if you only want to spend 500 bux I'd suggest watching the buy/sell forum here and perhaps you can pick up a decent deal. Ideally you need to be a price watcher to know you aren't paying too much.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 6, 2014, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Like this deal for example.
Upgraded G74SX Laptop + Road Warrior Package [new price]
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 12, 2014, 09:01 AM
Rookie

This feels impossible.
I know it's not, but maybe I need to stop researching? maybe I even need to stop shopping for one. Either pick one or stop thinking about it. but it's driving me crazy. I need a new PC. then I guess that means I need to pick one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
if you only want to spend 500 bux I'd suggest watching the buy/sell forum here and perhaps you can pick up a decent deal. Ideally you need to be a price watcher to know you aren't paying too much.
I checked kijiji in my city today. I almost got my hopes up that I found something worth getting, but the only good thing was the CPU. There's no shortage of people trying to sell high quality video cards with reference coolers on them, so it would probably be hard for me to replace that, and I head they were noisy and I wouldn't be able to stand that. I'm more sensitive than average.

$514 shipped, before monitor, with a used video card: (also no keyboard, and using an old case)
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2A39p
Looking at buying the parts new, I don't think I can get it below $700 with a monitor unless I start getting sub-standard stuff or drastically cutting the performance/dollar value. I guess I could go with that.

Not sure it's worth it to downgrade the AMD FX-8320 to FX-6300 to save $31.50. (CPUbenchmarks says it's 8118 VS 6378 in benchmark... points, which sounds like a lot.)

Going by LogicalIncrements for recommended power supplies means I'm skipping over a lot of cheaper ones, even though they're recommended brands, they're not the models listed as good.
There was a nice Antec 620W semi-modular "gamer" PSU on sale for $55+5 shipping only a week ago that I wanted. Computer parts should not go up in price. :P
My estimated wattage is 425, so I hope 95W over is enough. (I picked 520W, not the 620W previously mentioned.) I guess mice/keyboards and USB sticks don't take up much power, and an extra fan or two wouldn't be a danger? Ah, pcpartpicker added 5W to my estimate when I added two 120mm fans. Yeah, another site says 2.5W per fan. (not all the listings mention watts.)

Shipping prices in Canada really suck. I heard they went up at the start of the year, but they were always bad. Meanwhile USA has free shipping or flat rate shipping all over their stores. I understand economy of scale to some extent, but I don't understand why as soon as you add another middleman to the pool suddenly it's just a new opportunity to screw over the middleman because his market is small.

Last edited by Chaotic Descent; January 12, 2014 at 09:02 AM. Reason: pcpartpicker link wasn't updated