Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2013, 05:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New Rig, around $800-1000

So I'm looking to upgrade my current PC. Im running an older build based on a i7 920, but it is running into issue after issue and I have some extra cash. I have a good idea of what I'm looking for but I'm undecided if should save some money on a processor, mobo with less features, or even a cheaper case (though I'm not a fan of Coolermaster, I hate the 932 that I have now).

Mostly I could just use some good opinions, and some feedback to assure me that I am being as efficient with my money as possible.

Thanks for any help or insight you can give!

What I'm currently looking at:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K
Mobo : Undecided
Case: NZXT Phantom 410
SSD: ADATA SX900 2.5" 256GB
Cooler: Swiftech H220
Ram: Patriot Viper 3 16GB

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Strictly gaming and streaming.

2. What YOUR budget is.

Approx $1000 before tax's, though I would be most comfortable around $800 if it wouldn't make a huge difference.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

No preference

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

Will be using an my GTX 770, 2tb Hard Drive for storage, optical drive.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

I think I know what I want. I'm struggling mostly with deciding on the processor and mobo. Specifically if I would be better off spending the extra on the i7 or just sticking it out with the i5.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

I have been overclocking my old i7-920 for years, I would plan on continuing to overclock.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

ASAP, no distinct rush but sooner the better.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?

1920*1080, As high as settings as possible.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?

- I want to have a 256gb SSD for the OS and a couple of games. A big driver for the upgrade is getting all the new technologies (i.e. USB 3.0 etc) when it comes to motherboards.
Old December 31, 2013, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Drop to an i5 if your strictly gaming and streaming an i7 will improve only a few games, though if those improvements are significant to you and worth the cost, you will have to look at performance reviews for specific games that compare cpu as well as GPU..

My go to board for z87 is the Asus hero(Very good quality components, better quality audio than most the competition, great overclocker but without too many bells and whistles).. It's possibly out of reach on this build. Get whatever fits your needs / budget best. MSI / Asus if you want Canadian based RMA.
Crucial M500 is highly regarded by our resident storage guru. Or for higher performance, Samsung pro or Intel 520.

Have the P630 myself and it was a joy to build in. Think I might go Fractal on my next build.. or a silent case.

What PSU are you using? What problems are you having.. even if you still replace, a 920 is a pretty sweet seconday box or to pass down / sell.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old December 31, 2013, 06:54 PM
Rookie

Hey dude, you build looks pretty sick atm, maybe swap out your CPU cooler for a corsair H100i. Also you may prefer the Fractal design Define R4, as it has sound dampening material, lots of fans, and a damn good case to work with, or go with a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, as it gives you great airflow, better then the phantom 410 and has a lot more/better dust filers. But the Phantom 410 does look better and that what drew me towards it for a while. As for the Mobo, I would HIGHLY recommend a MSI Z87-GD65, it is a beast of a board and I really fan boy it as... well it is so frekin awesome, also it has a very good BIOS and is absolutely packed with featured, like surround sound or clear lag and so on! And to be honest I would prefer it any time over the ASUS motherboards, as it performs just as well looks just as sick or even more sick and costs less! Finally If I were you I would stick with an I5 for gaming and save your self a lot of money, it performs just as well as an I7 in gaming, but the only time a I7 clearly beats a I5 is in video editing, as it has hyper threading, Also 16GB of RAM is a bit over kill just for gaming, games will run fine on 8GB, 16GB is more for the more intensive video editing software, like adobe after affects or something Oh and by the way with the $150+ dolars you save from going for a I5 you could get a sound card and get much better audio...

Last edited by Crewbarnaby; December 31, 2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old December 31, 2013, 07:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I forgot to mention I do have a Creative Titanium HD sound card that I'll be migrating over as well.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:04 PM
Allstar

May be switch out the ADATA SSD to Crucial or Intel unit? I5 is fine for gaming since most game don't even use multi-core anyway. I would stick with the Swiftech unit since you can add on blocks later, however, I suggest you read the manual first because I think there's a limitation to how the radiator can be mounted.
Old January 1, 2014, 09:22 AM
Rookie

save some money i5
Old January 1, 2014, 02:02 PM
Rookie

going by what I said earlier, all the money u save with by going from 16gb of ram to 8 and using a i5, you could spend your remaining money on a higher SSD, like a 480gb or something. Or keep the same and enjoy the money u saved
Old January 1, 2014, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

and here you are posting advice after posting how many help threads? I wouldn't touch another MSI board after my last experience. Horrible website with even worse support. The automatic download/install software is the biggest joke around in my humble opinion.

my first choice based on the amount of refurbs on the shelves at the local computer stores would be

Gigabyte
and then a well researched Asus board. (they've really been having issues lately in my humble opinion)
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.