Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2013, 01:08 PM
Rookie

Default First time builder help

Hello, I am interested in building a gaming pc, it will be my first time doing this, I have not bought any parts yet, but when I do it will probably all be from ncix.ca since it's Canadian. I am basically just looking for advice on whether I should tweak anything, or if there are better options since this is my fist time building. This computer will be exclusively for gaming, I want to be able to play on max setting with good FPS I plan on running things like BF4, Dota, and maybe WOW. I have never done any overclocking and may not do any, but I am not sure.

I think I did a good job balancing the components out, my budget is $1000, so I went with an AMD CPU for the cost, I chose the FX-8320 over the 8340 because I read that it won't make that much of a difference in speed and I could save $40. I read reviews on the other parts and tried to pick good quality components at a decent price, I am a little confused on ram speed, whether to go with ddr3-1600 or ddr3-1866 but there is hardly any price difference so I figure I should go with the faster ram, I also read faster ram will help performance.

For the storage I read it only really effects windows load time, so I don't plan on getting an SSD yet, I feel like a 1TB Hard drive would be good enough for now and I could just get a ssd in the future if I needed one. As for the Graphics card I am kind of confused on which one I should go with I had my eye on the gigabyte GTX 770 do to good reviews and good airflow it provides, anyway I am just looking for opinions and knowledge, here is the actual build I am looking to put together. Also I haven't bought an OS but I think I am going to go with windows 7 since it's cheaper and I'm used to it.

AMD FX-8320, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770, Cooler Master K280 - My Custom Build - danewguy's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker Canada

edit delete
Old December 31, 2013, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok so here's the deal man. Since I bought my 1st ssd for my main computer... Every computer in my house now uses an SSD for an OS drive. Even my shitty little 15" dual core dell laptop boots up and is still snappy enough to cruise the web and do the emails.

An ssd is the single greatest thing you can put in a computer and you'll never regret spending the money on one. I realize it's impossible to understand this if you've never owned one but it's not just about loading windows faster it's about loading EVERYTHING faster.

Secondly... putting an OS into a 1tb drive is not only a waste of space but the degradation of the OS drive happens very quickly when windows is allowed so much room to play with. Keep that OS locked down in a smaller partition at the very least.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 31, 2013, 02:20 PM
Rookie

Alright, so do you think it would be smarter to maybe get a cheaper video card or motherboard and get a SSD? because I feel like I could probably go cheaper on the motherboard if I needed to and add a SSD.
Old January 1, 2014, 08:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Secondly... putting an OS into a 1tb drive is not only a waste of space but the degradation of the OS drive happens very quickly when windows is allowed so much room to play with. Keep that OS locked down in a smaller partition at the very least.
like clshades says....partition the drive especially for the os....IMO os 170gb.... other programs word etc 200gb...games rest of drive
Old January 1, 2014, 09:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

have you tried the same build at memory express?
go with a corsair psu over the evga. Better support and just a better psu. Keep in mind shipping is gonna kill you ordering from so many different places.

I just noticed your cpu.... drop down to an 8320 and overclock a little save the 40 bux.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; January 1, 2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old January 1, 2014, 10:04 AM
Rookie

I was going to buy everything from ncix and pick it up at their store in markham, I think that's an option, I live close to that store I just wanted a general idea of cost for all the components.
Old January 1, 2014, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ah I gotcha. Yeh man do that if you can... always easier to deal with one place if theres an issue. I edited above a couple times heh might wanna re-read.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 1, 2014, 10:35 AM
Rookie

yea I couldn't decide on whether to go with 8350 or the 8320 but I agree with you, I think it would be better to save 40 and overclock. about the storage and the partition thing, does that mean I will have the OS on a SSD and everything else on a separate HHD or can I just have everything including the OS on one SSD. haha the storage is the main thing that has been messing with me.
Old January 1, 2014, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleunm View Post
like clshades says....partition the drive especially for the os....IMO os 170gb.... other programs word etc 200gb...games rest of drive
Not worth partitioning drives. Just buy a inexpensive SSD for the OS.
Old January 1, 2014, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Or buy a good hybrid drive not as fast as an SSD but it is a single drive no messing around with things just install OS and your games., now days the OS is huge and so are games, for instance an OS installed with 4 games most likely will be around 100GB space.
I use a 60GB SSD for my laptop which has a shrunken down version of windows 8 and I have no games at all just a few smaller programs install I only have 9GB left which I most likely need for this SSD to have th e breathing room to work properly.