Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2013, 07:10 PM
Rookie

Question Building New System, need comments or suggestions

Hi everyone,

I'm building my new computer, but I want to know about your experiences and knowledge about these parts. Any comments or suggestions will be well received.
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 3.7 GHz (4 cores/8 threads) or Intel Core i5-4570 3.6 GHz (~$250)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth z87 or ASUS Maximus VI Hero (~$230)
Memory: 8GB 1866mhz - Corsair Vengeance Pro Red or Corsair Dominator Platinum. (~$130)
Video: ASUS 270x or 280x (i'dont like nVidia, i'm using ATI (now AMD) since ATI Mach64 and ATI 3D Rage...) ($200 - $350)
SSD: Corsair Force GT - 120GB (already bought)
Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i ( ~$110)
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D (already bought)
PSU: Corsair TX650v2 (already bought)
Sound Card: ASUS Zonar D2X (already bought)
Monitor: Samsung max 1920x1200 (already bought)
I'm going to use some video games like Battlefield 4, CoD or Pro Evolution Soccer. Also programming, Web applications development and some virtual machines.

Thank you very much in advance.

Happy New Year!!!!!
Old December 30, 2013, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know why you'd consider buying a 280X... I'm surprised you've seen it for cheaper than a GTX 770. Too bad you aleady bought your SSD... 120GB fills up EXTREMELY fast, espeically since you will want 20GB of free space for optimal performance. Looks like you've already got a good handle on what you need other than a traditional HDD.
Old December 31, 2013, 12:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would get a bigger gpu and back off the Cooler some and the motherboard too (Though the hero is my pick at the mo if budget allows)

Corsair can be pretty expensive.. try Gskill for good kit that usually costs less for the same spec vs corsair.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old December 31, 2013, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

given the multitude of tasks you want to do on the cpu I would go with the Xeon cpu. I also concur for the G.Skill ram, make sure you get one with XMP profile too, like Ripjaws X line. However the Xeon will not hit 3.7 on all cores, so it will be more like 3.5 on all cores.
Old December 31, 2013, 10:45 AM
Rookie

Thanks draemn, you're right, I forgot to mention my hard drives:

1x500GB WD Black for some apps, projects, music and other stuff.
1x1TB WD Green for movies, music, isos, some backups.
2x2TB WD Red (RAID1) for documents and photos.

Thank you very much for the recommendation , I think I 'm going to study them , I think I might even add a few dollars and buy 16GB, but could be wasting investment. I have read very good reviews of GSkill Ripjaws X , but I have no experience with this brand, even so, I do not think so many people are wrong , so I guess it is an excellent brand .

One aspect that I have considered , is not to buy water cooling and let the stock processor , but in this case I think it helps to keep the system at low temperatures and also looks great , but definitely you are right , could use that money to improve my video card, I could even try to buy a r9-290. I just hope the prices drop in January...

The idea of the system is to last me a few years , similar to my current setup , which has a ASUS Formula X38 , Intel Q6600 , 8GB Corsair Dominator , Radeon 4900, antec case , and some components that will keep in the new , such as disks hard and the sound card and bluray burner .

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions, take the opportunity to wish you a new year full of success and happiness!
Old December 31, 2013, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For the cooler, grab a CM hyper 212.. Great performance for the price but stock is fine if your not overclocking, should be relatively quiet till you start loading it up.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 1, 2014, 01:40 PM
Rookie

I will buy the following components, probably in a week or two:

CPU: Intel E3-1245v3 (faster than E3-1230v3 and has iGPU for just $~35 more)
MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 8GB G.SKill Ripjaws X (thanks for the advice)
Video: No Idea... i will use the igpu while AMD R9-290 prices normalize.
Cooling: Stock

Again, many thanks for your comments and suggestions.