Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2013, 01:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Super Budget Gaming Rig

SUPER BUDGET!!!!!*****************

Thats my goal... I sold my old gaming desktop in the spring because I couldnt focus on my last year of my BA. I just wanted to game, so the best thing I could think of was to sell the desktop, and then once my courses were finished, buy a gaming laptop so I could move out/away and not worry about my custom waterloop getting ruined/grahpics cards breaking/mobo breaking etc. BAD MOVE. Ive missed my desktop ever since, and the laptop I bought has so many drivers issues, that gaming is next to impossible right now.

SO, the solution: Build an EXTREMELY cheap rig that can game everything. Im not going for eye candy, I just want to be able to play the games I have.

Since the desktop, I have kept a lot of spare parts that no one wanted. I have a few fans, a dead 750W PSU (trying to get it rma'd by corsair right now, but i doubt that will go through) an old CRT monitor, some potential RAM that ill steal from another computer, and my peripherals from the laptop...

My budget isnt really a number, its basically how low I can get it. Ideally, under 300$ for everything, including tax and any shipping.

I grabbed a few things on sale, and I am very happy with what ive gotten so far.

Parts List:

AMD A4-4000 APU - Free (147.94 for the cpu/mobo)
ASUS A55BM-A/USB-3 - 49.94
Logisys CS206BK Case and 400W PSU - 35.67
Coolit Eco ALC - 35.00
DDR3 Ram - Kinda have, but willing to buy. Looking for high speed (1866+, 2400 preferred)
GRFX Card - Dont need, but interested in a single slot 7750 / good priced 7770
KB: Gigabyte GK-KM5300 - 11.49
Mouse: Steelseries Rival
Monitor: 1024x768 CRT

My total right now is around $125.

Im waiting for all the parts to come in, so I dont have pictures yet.

Now, some of you might be wondering, how did you get an a4-4000 for free, and that mobo for so dirt cheap? I received 2x 50$ VISA gift cards as a gift, so i used them towards the purchase of the cpu/mobo. Therefore, since it is explicitly money out of my pocket, im not going to include it in MY total, though for someone else building this, the price is on the side.

Also, I found a watercooler for 35$ shipped, so how could i pass that up? :)

So, once the parts get here i will take some pictures and update this again... I think ill need to take my tin snips to the case to make the WC unit fit, but thats okay...

** If anyone has spare ddr3 dimms lying around, PM me ;) For the right price anything is possible!! ***

Sold Items:
Steelseries Siberia V2 to MAK
Zalman Fan Controller, OCZ Mem Fan Funguseater

Lots of bad things happen in life all the time. You can't control them, so just be happy!

Last edited by Trocko; December 27, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old December 27, 2013, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would reccomend that you ditch the AMD APU and go for a IB or Haswell Pentium CPU plus a cheap mobo. Then you can think of a Radeon 7750. if you are not going for eye candy even a gtx 460 will do the job, you might want to hunt for used parts.
Old December 27, 2013, 04:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I plan to upgrade the a4 when Kaveri comes out, its just something to work with until Kaveri gets released.

But yes, a G3220 combo is only 30$ more, and its a lot better.

Sold Items:

Lots of bad things happen in life all the time. You can't control them, so just be happy!
Old December 27, 2013, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Logisys CS206BK Case and 400W PSU

Logisys 480W PSU.... - jonnyGURU Forums

Be very careful with low end power supplies... you could end up frying your entire system and they NEVER run at the rated specs (so don't expect to get 400w out of it).

Either go fully with the APU solution or go with the discreet graphics card, don't plan for APU now and discreet down the road. Not sure why you want high speed memory on a budget build.... the performance benefit is almost none and memory is not cheap.
Old December 27, 2013, 08:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The performance gains are huge on APU's.. Especially when in dual graphics mode.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/gigab...5504446?ref=nf

And I know about cheap PSU's. I have a 750w Corsair sitting beside me, but its dead and I am in the process of trying to get it RMA'd. Though as the system stands, it wont be pulling much more than 150w, so im no where near the psu limit

Sold Items: