Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2013, 01:25 PM
Rookie

Question Whats with all the different HDD's?!

Hi guys, I've been looking at what HDD I want, but when looking I found a green, red, blue and black. I know green is the lowest/worst and then red then blue and finaly BLACK is the best, but the most expensive... what's the difference between them all? Is one faster/slower or is one more reliable/unreliable. But is it worth getting a Black as I want a system that will last me along time and try and reduce the chances of HDD failures...
Old December 22, 2013, 02:33 PM
Allstar

I wouldn't use the word worst, it really depends on what you want. Green is a slower storage drive but it's not meant for RAID. Blue is your run of the mill desktop drive while Black is the high performance desktop drive just under Raptor drives. Red is the new budget RAID drive but it doesn't have all the feature of a RE enterprise drive. All HDD fail at some point and all manufacturers have their bad batches. So it pretty much comes down on warranty length and customer service during RMA. If you want a system drive, just go with a SSD and get a Green for storage since neither the Black nor Raptor can beat a SSD in performance.
Old December 22, 2013, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewbarnaby View Post
Hi guys, I've been looking at what HDD I want, but when looking I found a green, red, blue and black. I know green is the lowest/worst and then red then blue and finaly BLACK is the best, but the most expensive... what's the difference between them all? Is one faster/slower or is one more reliable/unreliable. But is it worth getting a Black as I want a system that will last me along time and try and reduce the chances of HDD failures...
Green = power savings and low speed good for data storage
Blue = General all around drive
Black = Performance
Red = Enterprise

Just go for either blue or black depending on your wallet or go for a Seagate.
Old December 22, 2013, 02:54 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Close.

Green is well 'green' as in low power, low noise, good for the environment and OK for you.
Blue is OEM and general purpose. Was originally the pre-color WD lines that they carried over under the 'blue' line.
Red is RAID. Its the poor mans RE series. Meant for 4-5 drive scenarios such as NAS. Was created as WD saw a lot of peeps using greens in raid scenarios and that is just wrong. But not meant for enterprise. Think more SO/HO & prosumer than SMB / Enterprise like the SE or RE.
Black is performance.

I dont use greens. I dont recommend Blacks for Raid. Each have their place and it depends on your needs.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 22, 2013, 03:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Wasn't there something about greens spinning down too aggressively and that had a huge effect on access times? I know I ran a green as an OS drive and it was abysmal. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 22, 2013, 03:05 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

They dont spin down, rather they park their heads after 8 seconds of inactivity. In an OS enviro that means the heads are parking and unparking damn near constantly. Since the actuators are only good for so many hundred of thousands of parks...they die early deaths. Earlier greens you could override or modify this time out via WDIDlE...but WD hasnt maintained it so the later WD drives dont work with it. Damn shame really it made many a green into a decent, reliable storage drive :(

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 22, 2013, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Wasn't there something about greens spinning down too aggressively and that had a huge effect on access times? I know I ran a green as an OS drive and it was abysmal. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
They dont spin down, rather they park their heads after 8 seconds of inactivity. In an OS enviro that means the heads are parking and unparking damn near constantly. Since the actuators are only good for so many hundred of thousands of parks...they die early deaths. Earlier greens you could override or modify this time out via WDIDlE...but WD hasnt maintained it so the later WD drives dont work with it. Damn shame really it made many a green into a decent, reliable storage drive :(
Yeah the head parking issue was a massive down fall for the Green series.
Old December 22, 2013, 03:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So basically the only reasonably good use for a green would be as an external backup drive that is only accessed for scheduled backups?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 22, 2013, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
So basically the only reasonably good use for a green would be as an external backup drive that is only accessed for scheduled backups?
Pretty much. That is why you'll see green drives in a lot of external enclosures as they don't need to be spun up as often.
Old December 23, 2013, 01:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Meh I had a green as an OS drive for two years while it wasn't the greatest thing it didn't fail me at all. Heck I even RAID 0 on 2 greens and nothing bad came out of it. Now I removed the RAID setup and placed an SSD as my OS drive now. The 2 greens are storage and programs I don't use often.

But ya basically like what everyone said, your best bet is either blue or green (depends if you're using it as an OS drive or not)