Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2013, 01:59 PM
Rookie

Default First Gaming Desktop Build.

Hello fine folks of hardwarecanucks.com.

I am a first time PC builder and I admit I am very green to the technology surrounding PC hardware. I do know the basic terminology but still need some good feedback from experienced builders. I am currently looking at my first gaming build and I would like to do it within a budget of $2000 Canadian total including shipping, taxes, etc. I am willing to go a few dollars over the 2K mark but not by much. Say over $100 more at most. I would hope to get a rig that is high end for at least a couple of years. I know nothing is ever truly "futureproof" but I would like to get enough bang for my buck for awhile before upgrading. I am also looking to get something that is modular so I can replace big ticket components like the CPU, GPU, Motherboard, etc without having to get a whole new machine when upgrading.

As indicated I wish to use this computer primarily for gaming as high end as possible. However other roles that are no less important are watching films and shows, school/office use and file storage. While I have a laptop for most of those secondary roles it could very well blow up on me one day. Besides said laptop does not have a bluray optical drive which is what I am hoping to include in my desktop build. As for overclocking I would like to have the capability to modestly overclock without the risk of damaging my video card or other components. I am not adverse either to liquid cooling but would like to go without full fledged liquid cooling for now. My resolutions are not too demanding as I have a basic monitor; a BenQ 24 inch GL2450 at 1920x1080.

I live in southern Ontario, Canada (one reason I registered on these forums) and I intend to use only Canadian stores. I do not have a particular brand loyalty as yet but am going by advice I have gleaned from numerous reviews and other threads like this one over at Tek Syndicate, Gamers Nexus, etc. Since I am new to this sort of thing though I feel the more advice I can get the better! In particular I wish to get feedback on compatibility of components, most efficient and trouble free cooling for said components, etc.

I am still saving for this build but plan to buy all the components and put it together in the next couple of months (say February or March) if all goes well. I currently have a build in mind and have used ca.pcpartpicker.com with a link to my current idea here. Current build components are as follows -

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Processor

CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR01 81.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply Unit: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX

Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Windows 8 64 bit.

Last edited by Maphisto86; December 15, 2013 at 05:04 AM.
Old December 14, 2013, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why the Silverstone CPU cooler? I would suggest the Cooler master 212 for a good budget cooler.
Old December 15, 2013, 04:40 AM
Rookie

Hi Stoanee.

Thank you for the recommendation. As I said I am new to this sort of thing but I chose the Silverstone cooler on another recommendation that it cooled really well. Of course cooling is a big factor for me as I don't want those pricey components (the CPU and Motherboard) getting cooked. That being said I am still learning how they compare with other models.

Edit: Apparently after updating my opening post, I may have inadvertently deleted it. Don't know how that happened because I remember clicking save changes. Or does the moderator have to OK it again? Either way the build I am thinking of but want input on the video card, CPU, cooling, etc. I plan on using it primarily for gaming but also for movie watching, internet surfing, file storage, etc - i.e. general use. Here is a link to the build currently. I am on a budget of around $2000 Canadian.

Part List:

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler Silverstone AR01 81.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150
Memory G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 3GB

Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply XFX 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)

Last edited by Maphisto86; December 16, 2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old January 1, 2014, 10:00 PM
Rookie

Rather than create a new thread I thought it more appropriate to update this one. Even though it seems like forever since I last posted but I have gotten little feedback . My basic build has only had minor changes but I wish to ask how I can possibly lower costs to my build without hampering performance or my original use goals shown in my opening post. I did consider ditching the Blu-ray capability for now but would like to have it eventually so I am keeping it in the proposal specs for now. Got a power supply unit with a little more wattage then I need just in case I get a second video card in the future or upgrade to components that may need a little more juice in the future.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Classified w/ EVGA ACX Cooler

Build list can also be viewed here at pcpartpicker.com here.
Old January 2, 2014, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ares is usually cheaper from Gskill than the sniper. 8GB is plenty unless your doing some graphics / video editing rendering or the like.
I would stick with 8GB and when you need more, drop in another 2 sticks

Asus DCII 780 is untouchable for thermals / noise and should be cheaper than the classified.

850W is enough for SLI. If you never plan on SLI drop to 650W, it'll be plenty for any single card build for a long long time.

Do you actually still use disks? if not leave it out.. You can install from a usb key

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 2, 2014, 09:30 PM
Rookie

Appreciate the advice Dzzope.

One question about the SSD. What are your thoughts on the amount of memory? Am I overdoing it with 250GB?
Old January 2, 2014, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With 250 you can keep your favorite games on the SSD and still have space.

I think its a good size.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

240 - 256 is about the sweet spot IMO.. gives you plenty of room for your favorite games and apps without making a crater in your wallet.

120 is the minimum I would suggest these days but I found it to be very restricting and the fuller the drive the slower it will perform. I try stay <80%~

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 3, 2014, 08:17 AM
MVP

Very nice choices overall. Perfect setup for a 2K rig. Later down the line you can just replace the monitor with a $400 1560x1440 display and add another $500 GTX 780 and you will have something truly next next gen!

I would replace the case and Power Supply with the newer Arc MIDI R2 (No insulation but newer modular cages and more USB 3.0), and XFX BEFX (based on the Seasonic KM3 models). Both are cheaper and just as good. Might save you $50

My preferred VGA cooler was the Asus DCUII, but recent reviews showed that the MSI Gaming series has better cooling and less noise and it matches your motherboard. Of course the deciding factor should be the after sales service so pick what's best for you. I know some in Canada will complain about MSI.

Now if you get 8GB RAM instead, a 500GB SSD wouldn't be that far off your budget.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto86 View Post
...Got a power supply unit with a little more wattage then I need just in case I get a second video card in the future or upgrade to components that may need a little more juice in the future.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Classified w/ EVGA ACX Cooler

Build list can also be viewed here at pcpartpicker.com here.
If you don't mind spending more money on a CPU cooler, I highly suggest Newegg.ca - Noctua NH-U12S 120x120x25 ( NF-F12 PWM) SSO2-Bearing ( Self-stabilising oil-presure bearing ) CPU Cooler
The reason I suggest this cooler is because it is extremely silent running while performing very well. I don't know who originally told you that silverstone cooler was any good... that thing is absolute garbage.

Yes, 8GB is fine to buy right now unless you're buying used RAM for a good price it's not worth buying 16GB with current prices so high!

Agree +1 that ~250 is the sweet spot for an SSD. 120 fills up too damn fast! Even 220GB is a manageable spot. I am not familiar with that brand/quality though, so no comment.

I highly suggest you look at a GTX 780 Ti as they offer just as much or slightly better performance/$ than the 780.