Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2014, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm quite impressed with the NT-H1 thermal grease and will pick it over the Arctic silver any day. Don't wait for the 8xx series as they are a long way off. Buying a case should be based off what you like for looks and what you're willing to spend imo. Sure, make sure you're not picking a crappy case just for looks, but there are so many cases that are built well that you get a ton of styling options these days. I am still a huge fan of buying nvidia over AMD, even at a price premium right now, so my only suggestions are their cards.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
I have concerns about your PSU and SSD pick.

1. I would get a Corsair or SeaSonic unit.
2. Samsung doesn't seem to have the best warranty service. I would go with another unit.
Thank you for the suggestions. I have changed my build accordingly getting a Kingston SSD. Do you have any better suggestions for a PSU and SSD? Here is my build so far.
Old May 4, 2014, 03:00 AM
Allstar

Don't get the Kingston V300 because they switch over to a slower memory chip. While I don't really know anything about SSD, there's a thread in the Storage sub-forum that you may want to spend some time reading.

AnandTech | An Update to Kingston SSDNow V300: A Switch to Slower Micron NAND
Old May 4, 2014, 03:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto86 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I have changed my build accordingly getting a Kingston SSD. Do you have any better suggestions for a PSU and SSD? Here is my build so far.
I would swap the ssd again. I posted a while ago that those Kingston drives were now shipping with slower NAND making it much slower than the original. There is supposedly no way of knowing which you are getting. You can't go wrong with intel/crucial drives, but someone else can comment on which specific drives are good from other manufacturers if you want cutting edge read/write rates.

The corsair psu you picked is solid, but so was the xfx in the original post...either is fine.
Old May 5, 2014, 01:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I would swap the ssd again. I posted a while ago that those Kingston drives were now shipping with slower NAND making it much slower than the original. There is supposedly no way of knowing which you are getting. You can't go wrong with intel/crucial drives, but someone else can comment on which specific drives are good from other manufacturers if you want cutting edge read/write rates.

The corsair psu you picked is solid, but so was the xfx in the original post...either is fine.
Thank you again for the warning concerning my latest SSD pick. I have chosen a Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" SSD at the latest as of this post. I looked at some reviews of the product and overall it seems solid. It will serve as a placeholder at least.

My original goals for this build are still the same albeit with many changes since the opening post. The only difference of course is the time table as many of my choices have changed based on the combined input in this thread and my own research. Still very green but learning new things all the time. Planning to purchase all the parts and finish the build sometime this spring and summer but want to be sure I am getting the most bang for my buck and that the final iteration of the build will last me a couple of years at least before I need to replace anything.