Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2013, 09:04 PM
Rookie

Default First Time Gaming Computer Build

Hi all. First time building a computer. Was just wondering on some opinions for the following PC build.

What YOUR PC will be used for: mainly gaming and watching tv or movies
What YOUR budget is: preferably around $1500, but willing to go up to $2000
What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from: Canada
IF YOU have a brand preference: Intel, GeForce.. the rest I'm open to
IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds: do not plan on overclocking
WHEN do you plan to build it: can start now

This is what I have picked out:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card
Wireless Network Adapter: Linksys WUSB6300 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter
Case: Thermaltake VN300M1W2N ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Any words of wisdom is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)
Old December 1, 2013, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you can swing it I'd suggest getting an 240gb main drive as the games these days are pretty huge. I have 5 games installed right now and only 40 gigs free on a dedicated 120gb ssd game drive. The average game is 15-20 gigs and growing.

My OS is on a separate SSD and it's using 30gb.

So I'm at 90 gigs total and for one 120 gb drive which normally only show 111 gigs usable I MIGHT get 1 or 2 more games on there and it's completely full.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 2, 2013, 05:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
If you can swing it I'd suggest getting an 240gb main drive as the games these days are pretty huge. I have 5 games installed right now and only 40 gigs free on a dedicated 120gb ssd game drive. The average game is 15-20 gigs and growing.

My OS is on a separate SSD and it's using 30gb.

So I'm at 90 gigs total and for one 120 gb drive which normally only show 111 gigs usable I MIGHT get 1 or 2 more games on there and it's completely full.
Clshades is right. While 120gb is serviceable, if you plan on having a few games on it at once, you'll rapidly fill it up. 240 is a good amount, not huge, but enough for most people. You can always look at putting two smaller drives in RAID 0 as well.

If it's your first time doing a build, it's also worth keeping an eye out for a fully modular PSU on sale. If you find one that's got a good deal on it, they make cable management very easy and it's nice to be able to disconnect on the PSU end if you've butchered your cable arrangement.
Old December 2, 2013, 10:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Clshades is right. While 120gb is serviceable, if you plan on having a few games on it at once, you'll rapidly fill it up. 240 is a good amount, not huge, but enough for most people. You can always look at putting two smaller drives in RAID 0 as well.

If it's your first time doing a build, it's also worth keeping an eye out for a fully modular PSU on sale. If you find one that's got a good deal on it, they make cable management very easy and it's nice to be able to disconnect on the PSU end if you've butchered your cable arrangement.
Last time I remembered there isn`t much of an improvement when doing a RAID 0 with two SSDs so he could go with only 1 256 GB and 1 50 GB SSD for the OS, it`ll save him some money at least.

If you want to future proof it a bit (or SLI later on) you`ll need to have a bigger PSU.

Also I`m starting to see 64-bit only games being in development (Galactic Civilisation 3, Star Citizens for now) so perhaps a RAM boost as well (12 GB)
Old December 2, 2013, 11:02 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up What a wonderful time for you, congradulations.

The best advice I can give you is do NOT go crazy on your first build. To give you an analogy, you would not hand in an essay after your first writing would you? Same applies here, and mistakes are all a learning experience if you have the right attitude.
Although you said no overclocking, you may do so. A mistake on my first build in 2002 was a stock only theme as well. It's fun/addicting getting more power for free. For now anyway, there is very little difference in a stock frequency CPU in either Sandy Bridge (2500K), or Ivy Bridge (3570K), or Haswell (4670K). Only about 1FPS separates these CPU's in gaming: Intel Core i5-4670K vs 3570K vs 2500K Gaming-Performance - CPUs - Reviews : ocaholic
Actually this is a really good time for an upgrade or a new build, and not just because of the sales this time of year. Intel (if your a gamer then consider no other) used to produce a new chipset every year (or a revised one). Now we'll see chipsets every two years. So in 2015 we'll see Skylake. The good news being you will be able to keep your stuff for at least that long before feeling a bit empty.
You may want to reconsider your 2 x 4GB of memory too. Since you prolly won't be upgrading before Skylake, recent reviews have indicated that 2 x 8GB @ 2400MHz memory net higher noticeable FPS in Bf4. Right now this may be argued either way, but in 2014 the new AAA games will be forcing memory to higher levels for sure.
Your GTX 760 is $250 on Shopbot.ca (use this site to pick best prices on stuff in Canada).
EVGA GTX 760 - Price comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices=
Your GTX 760 is equal to the GTX 670 for reference. Anyway, I am running a pair of GTX 660's for $150 each. Now SLI/Crossfire may be in the realm of forcing your first build: however, the increase in bang for buck and in FPS is amazing. For instance, my 660's trade blows in benchmarks with the GTX Titan/780. But only at resolutions like 1920x1200 (19:10 AR), or 1920x1080 (16:9 AR). The core of the GTX 660, or 670, or 760 just cannot cope properly with high resolutions like 1440P or 1600P. Together with this, the limited 2GB of frame buffer will make for a slightly choppy game at these very high resolutions. And one more thing regarding the SLI/Crossfire route, if you ever decide on this you must use a slightly faster CPU. Something like the i5- 3570K ("K"designation is an unlocked proc so you can overclock it anytime you wish). One can actually overclock the non-K CPU's just not very much though. So for future proofing a bit, you may want to opt for the "K" proc and spend the extra $30 or so. And when choosing/upgrading your monitor make sure you actually see the thing in action. Reason being is that some peeps do not like 1080P on a 27" screen while others find nothing wrong with the image. Some peeps will swear that if you go higher than a 24" panel, 1440P resolution all the way instead of 1080P. Personal choice, just more $ is all. Ironically, the item which you did not mention for your build was the monitor. You may want to spend the most amount of time deciding on this item than any other because it will last a long time. Also, you have to understand about refresh rate, latency, input lag etc. Read up on Input lag etc: This stuff can be a bit involved so hang on. Note: For gaming freeks only. Input Lag Testing - TFTCentral
PRAD | Reportage: Inputlag
Here you must do your research on what's best for you, and be truthful for what you are intending to use the thing for. All the best, Michael
Old December 2, 2013, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Guys...the OP already stated this in his build ^^^^

OP....120GB SSD is fine for your Windows Boot device, provided you plan on loading games onto the HDD, I would go with a WD Black 1TB instead of the Blue......with those 2 Drives you're golden ;)

Its the OP's first build...keep it simple Simon.

Old December 2, 2013, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I wouldn't want my games on a spin point drive... why would anyone want to? If anything I'd rather have windows on a spin point heh.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 2, 2013, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've had games running off of a 640 Black and I honestly dont notice a big difference running them off of my SSD....load times, thats about it..

Old December 3, 2013, 12:37 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy916 View Post
recent reviews have indicated that 2 x 8GB @ 2400MHz memory net higher noticeable FPS in Bf4.
I'm curious any links? I have 8gb but my system only ever uses 5.5GB when play BF4.

Old December 3, 2013, 12:31 PM
Rookie

Default Memory Performance Update running BF4

Hello again, I have done some more research on whether 16GB of ram @ 2400 Mhz is better than 8 GB @1600MHz regarding BF4. At first I thought Corsair was up to something because they were the ones that showed an improvement. Blog - Battlefield 4 Loves High Speed Memory
But on further analysis, this improvement was with a beta BF4. On November 11, 2013, Corsair still showed an improvement (less than before) with prime time BF4. Blog - Battlefield 4 and System RAM: Bigger and Better
These results were with an insane three monitor set-up running 780 SLI. A 3-4 fps doesn't sound like much especially for their killer spec system. Quote from article: "The jump from 8GB to 16GB is a little more subtle; nobody should be playing with less than 8GB, but moving up to 16GB will reduce stuttering again. DDR3-2933 only gains about a frame going from 8GB to 16GB, but DDR3-2400 actually gets a small boost in minimum framerates." So moving on to other reviews on this subject. From bit-tech on November 27, 2013: Their testing showed only an average of 5% improvement going from 8GB @ 1600 to 16 GB @ 2400. But testing only done on single player though. Battlefield 4 - Memory Performance | bit-tech.net Quote from their article:
"As we said before, however, the CPU (and consequently the memory) could have a larger role to play when it comes to multiplayer, the mode where most people are likely to spend their BF4 playtime. Corsair's own testing was done on multiplayer servers, for example, and their system was also a Haswell one, whereas ours is an Ivy Bridge based rig, which could also make a difference. Much of this is speculation, of course, and there is (as ever) more room for testing how your memory specifications might affect performance in game." A peep on Overclock.net tested the difference between 1333MHz vs 2133Mhz on October 30, 2013. His conclusion was this:
"13% fps increase overall, 9 more minimum fps,"
Battlefield 4 RAM / Memory Benchmark
I am running 2x8GB of G.Skill 2400 MHz CL10 ram but haven't hit BF4 yet due to the game crapping out. The PC patch out today (December 3, 2013) hopefully will fix these issues.
Now on a different note, what I can say to all is after 700 hours of BF3, I have had absolutely no stuttering issues while running GTX 660 in SLI @ 1920 x 1200 76Hz. 16:10 AR all the way : )