Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2013, 11:09 AM
Rookie

Default Upcoming winter build [build log will come later]

Figured I'd post my upcoming build here and get some feedbacks.

CPU: i7 4770k
Mobo: Gigabyte g1 sniper 5
RAM: Corsair vengeance pro 1600mhz 16gb kit
GPU: still deciding between duap 780 or dual 290. Really just waiting to see how mantle plays out. Watercooling them so heat problem from 290 wont be an issue.
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
2x Samsung 840 120g SSD in raid0
1x WD 1tb Black

Cooling:

CPU: XSPC raystorm block
GPU: XSPC block
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Radiators: 1x SR1 Black ice 480, 1x SR1 Black ice 360 and 1x SR1 Black Ice 240
Fans: Just picked up 9 Silverstone ap121 from Performance-pc (60% off!)
Res: didnt decide yet, anything would work though
Tubing: PrimoChill advanced LRT
Fittings: Probably going all compression with Monsoon

Case: 900D most likely, looking at Enthoo Primo from Phanteks too
Old November 27, 2013, 02:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice parts, you'll need a forklift to pick it up with all those rads in it.
Old November 27, 2013, 05:24 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Just the 900D is ultra heavy by itself. Forklift + crane.
Old November 28, 2013, 02:28 AM
Allstar

I'd bump the RAM to 1866 C9 and avoid 1600.

2 high end video cards so I wouldn't go less than 2560x1440 resolution. Korean models are selling between $300~400 on newegg.

I like the price ($350 after rebate on newegg) and the added lanes and improved audio on the Sniper motherboard, but I don't like the lack of wi-fi AC.
If your router and desktop are in the same place then ignore what I said, but the Asrock Extreme 9 has a better full package.

For SSD 840 EVO is faster, newer than 840.

240 GB is allot of prime Solid state. Unless you plan on gaming, storing applications and programs on your WD Black (I don't know why you would), or if you're going to use it to store medial (audio/video) or documents, by all means go WD Green.

For PSU 1000W will be plenty for everything water cooled and overclocked with room to spare. Not much saved from 1200 but worth mentioning.

Last edited by Luay79; November 28, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old November 28, 2013, 02:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Steer clear of gigabyte unless you don't mind RMAing to Cali in case of(or in my case every single gigabyte mobo I've physically seen) any faults .. Loving my MSI Mpower and if I was going z87 the Asus Hero would be right up there.

Corsair ram is expensive compared to Gskill / mushkin, as above 1866 should be very close on price, why not..

If you get the right 290 you can unlock to 290x and great price, either are nice running dual stock 780's myself. What res are you driving with them?

PSU is overkill, Hell my 1000W xfx (they are both Seasonic platinum units) is overkill, only reason I got it was it was on sale for the same price as an 850W gold which is what I was looking for.

Don't bother with raid ssd's, grab a better 240gig and save any hassle.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old November 28, 2013, 06:54 AM
Rookie

hey guys, thanks for the feedbacks.

I might actually reconsider about the PSU but the reason I want to get another 840 is because i already own a 840 xP. I'll definetly look into WD green. Once again, I'm going with corsair 1600 cause I can just recycle it from my other PC to save a bit of money

@Dzzope: I already bought the gigabyte mobo (309$ at NCIX canada xD), I've inspected the mobo and found a bent pin on one of the 4pin header :/. The reason i went with sniper 5 is the fact that it has lot of feature, extra lanes and the fact that it is green fits perfectly in my green/black theme.
Old November 28, 2013, 07:04 AM
Rookie

I have an asus vg248qe. i figured this would be an overkill but ill probably get another monitor down the line. and i like smooth 120fps lol
Old November 28, 2013, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If it's just a bent pin you got off lightly compared to my experiences which included dead ram slots, dead pci-e slots, faulty sata controllers, dead vrms..
Granted these were all a fair few years ago but the customer service left allot to be desired too, put me off Gigabyte for life (or until I see otherwise at least, all companies can change) no RMA in Canada just nails it for me when giving advice here.

If you look out for deals, I managed to get my xfx 1000w platinum for a lil less than a Corsair 860(as said, they are both seasonic units).. Really solid and looks decent too. I don't think the fan on mine has ever even spun up or if it has it's totally inaudible.

If I was building now instead of during the summer, I'd go the 290's and mine while the machine wasn't in use. Should be able to get good numbers with a pair of 290's, especially if you unlock / overclock them. And with the value of litecoins going up by the day you could possibly even get them to pay for themselves / an upgrade in a few months / year.
If your doing single screen @1080, I'd buy 1 card and see if I was happy with it.. If not then add a second one.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"

Last edited by Dzzope; November 28, 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old November 28, 2013, 07:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
If it's just a bent pin you got off lightly compared to my experiences which included dead ram slots, dead pci-e slots, faulty sata controllers, dead vrms..
Granted these were all a fair few years ago but the customer service left allot to be desired too, put me off Gigabyte for life (or until I see otherwise at least, all companies can change) no RMA in Canada just nails it for me when giving advice here.

If you look out for deals, I managed to get my xfx 1000w platinum for a lil less than a Corsair 860(as said, they are both seasonic units).. Really solid and looks decent too. I don't think the fan on mine has ever even spun up or if it has it's totally inaudible.

If I was building now instead of during the summer, I'd go the 290's and mine while the machine wasn't in use. Should be able to get good numbers with a pair of 290's, especially if you unlock / overclock them. And with the value of litecoins going up by the day you could possibly even get them to pay for themselves / an upgrade in a few months / year.
jesus...that is a lot of defects, i'm scared now lol, got the board because it was on special for 309$ on NCIX. I can't test the board until I get my 4770k early december.

I'll definitely check out the xfx psu, thanks a lot!

290s looks pretty sweet indeed but so are the features offered by nvidia like shadowplay and g-sync which we already know of